Picking up new Tremor this weekend - have questions

moki

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Hello,

I ordered my '22 Platinum Tremor on March 31st, 2022, the last day Ford was accepting orders (or so I was told). And because of all the shortages, not every option was available for selection. I went with the Platinum because, at the time of order, it was the only model with the quad-beam LED headlights. My dealer told me that in some cases, if Ford didn't have a certain component, they would just build whatever they could & you get what you get. And in other cases, if you tried to add an option after placing the order, Ford could decide to kick the order back altogether and move on to the next truck.

Fast forward to today, my truck has arrived, and I'm picking it up this weekend. I'm obviously super jazzed up to get it, but when my dealer sent me a picture today, I noticed the off-road running boards instead of the power steps that I ordered. Seems petty, but now I'm looking at spending another $2k to get power steps that should have been $0 (no extra charge for power steps on the Platinum).

So now I'm wondering if my dealer goofed on the order, or if I was a "victim" of Ford's build-whatever-they-have-in-stock approach? I wasn't overjoyed when I placed the order since several options were unavailable to me at the time (upfitter switches, moonroof, black appearance package - I really just wanted a Lariat, but had to go Platinum for the headlights), but I've gotten more excited about it over time, and was ecstatic to know it arrived! And now back to slightly bummed since it isn't exactly what I picked out.

What to do? Get over it and take the truck and enjoy? Pass on it and order a '23? Try to haggle with my dealer on price? It was a Ford problem that limited my options, and maybe it's also a Ford problem that resulted in the truck getting built with what they had, but maybe it's my dealer's fault that didn't order the truck correctly?? I just hate that I'm focused on what seems like such an insignificant, first-world problem, but I also don't want to drop $80grand and drive off the lot with buyer's remorse.

Sorry for the long first post, just looking for some advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.JPG
    imagejpeg_0.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 185
Hello,

I ordered my '22 Platinum Tremor on March 31st, 2022, the last day Ford was accepting orders (or so I was told). And because of all the shortages, not every option was available for selection. I went with the Platinum because, at the time of order, it was the only model with the quad-beam LED headlights. My dealer told me that in some cases, if Ford didn't have a certain component, they would just build whatever they could & you get what you get. And in other cases, if you tried to add an option after placing the order, Ford could decide to kick the order back altogether and move on to the next truck.

Fast forward to today, my truck has arrived, and I'm picking it up this weekend. I'm obviously super jazzed up to get it, but when my dealer sent me a picture today, I noticed the off-road running boards instead of the power steps that I ordered. Seems petty, but now I'm looking at spending another $2k to get power steps that should have been $0 (no extra charge for power steps on the Platinum).

So now I'm wondering if my dealer goofed on the order, or if I was a "victim" of Ford's build-whatever-they-have-in-stock approach? I wasn't overjoyed when I placed the order since several options were unavailable to me at the time (upfitter switches, moonroof, black appearance package - I really just wanted a Lariat, but had to go Platinum for the headlights), but I've gotten more excited about it over time, and was ecstatic to know it arrived! And now back to slightly bummed since it isn't exactly what I picked out.

What to do? Get over it and take the truck and enjoy? Pass on it and order a '23? Try to haggle with my dealer on price? It was a Ford problem that limited my options, and maybe it's also a Ford problem that resulted in the truck getting built with what they had, but maybe it's my dealer's fault that didn't order the truck correctly?? I just hate that I'm focused on what seems like such an insignificant, first-world problem, but I also don't want to drop $80grand and drive off the lot with buyer's remorse.

Sorry for the long first post, just looking for some advice.

Thanks!
i would pass and reorder and get what you want with what you want on it....i waitied 10 months for my truck and i cant tell you how many times i about bailed becuse of bs stuff. Good luck to you ..i know its not any fun

When you order a tremor it automatically puts the off road running boards on, so you have to go back and change it to the power running boards. Your dealer could have accidently skipped that? If the running boards are your main concern I would ask the dealer maybe they will help you out? Never hurts to order a 23 if you like them, you don't have to buy it when it comes in if you end up liking this truck.

Do you have a DORA from the date you ordered? That will tell you if it was ordered right to begin with. I’d consider passing if you don’t need the truck. $80k for a gas truck that isn’t exactly what you want would be tough. If you were getting a good deal it’d be easier to live with something less than ideal.

Thank you all for your responses. That's 3 votes to 0 for placing a new order and getting back in line :(

I'm still gonna go check it out and see if it speaks to me, but am inclined to place a new order. I don't have a DORA to verify the order, my dealer is a family friend kinda deal, so that adds a little complexity to the "beat the dealer up" approach. I'll either leave with a 22 Tremor or a 23 DORA, but I'm gonna join this club one way or another!

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate the advice.

I had the same thing happen with my platinum and it was a dealer goof. he missed the option to add the power steps and I got the Tremor ones. I decided to deal with it because I’ve found that the AMP Research steps seem to hold up over time better than the stock ones anyway.

Sorry you have this issue to deal with, but personally I would never pass on this truck if that’s the only issue. Especially true having waited 7-8 months and knowing the wait on a ‘23 is that or more again. No way no how would I bail over step bars. Since it’s a friend, why don’t you discuss it with dealer and see if the step up here or willing to share the expense in some form or fashion. 1 vote for keep it!!

I would lean towards keep it as well. The wait is painful, and there is no guarantee there won’t be parts and supply issues on the 23MY. Also, the price increase on the 23MY is something to keep in mind. I think your approach of seeing if it speaks to you is the right one.

When you go check it out, make sure the power boards aren’t on the window sticker. If it is, and ford stuck the standard boards on, that should be deducted from the price.

There is a market for these factory tremor running boards. I think I have seen them selling for around $500 in new condition. Sell them and buy a set of the amp boards for $2000. You’re only out of pocket an extra $500 at that point compared to the $1000 factory option. Maybe the dealer would knock that $500 off the price to make it good if it was theirs or fords error. Install at the dealership would be a nice bonus too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum 🍻

I vote you keep the truck. Like @Tucsontremor said you can add PRBs later. Actually, unless there is a height step-up issue for you or your most common passengers, you just may end up happier with fixed boards. Less high-tech, more parking lot protection.

If nothing else, take possession of it and flip it for five grand. I vote to keep it, I love my fixed running boards.

If you wanted the Moonroof, and upfitters and didn't get those plus the power steps, I would walk.. not worth the I wish it had....

Thank you all for your responses. That's 3 votes to 0 for placing a new order and getting back in line :(

I'm still gonna go check it out and see if it speaks to me, but am inclined to place a new order. I don't have a DORA to verify the order, my dealer is a family friend kinda deal, so that adds a little complexity to the "beat the dealer up" approach. I'll either leave with a 22 Tremor or a 23 DORA, but I'm gonna join this club one way or another!

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate the advice

Business is just that…try the best you can to keep it like that…hopefully it will work out for everyone involved.

Power running boards were a must have for my truck because my wife wanted to be able to get into the truck easier. I would look at the truck and see if the height of the step is an issue before making a decision.

I say keep the truck and get the after market power steps installed. They are every bit as nice as OEM and you won't be spending $7K more to get the new truck in 8 months.

if you are getting it at msrp or less then just get it. You won’t loose money if you decided to get another later. I have the power steps but also think the tremor ones look better. I have seen a few sets go for around $350-400 that I thought about getting just to try for a while in case the power ones were to suck.

i just picked up mine last week, ordered middle of march. it's my first time with prb, it was kind of an impulse add on, and i can tell you it's my favorite feature. my truck didn't show up missing options, but i wasn't able to add moonroof or upfitter from original order, so instead i added the prb. as others have find out if it's ford or the dealer who messed up, and try to leverage that to get what u want after the fact. i had my dealer remove the $400 for LUG LOCKS (smh), but they never removed the actual lug locks, so it's possible.

Had amp steps on a Tundra and one quit working after a year or so. Also managed a door ding that wouldn't have happened if i'd had fixed boards. Other than ease of entry for spouse or elderly/impaired driver i'd absolutely stick with the fixed boards.

Keep it. It’s an awesome truck and prices aren’t falling anytime soon.

I would go take a look at it and see if you think and if you can live with how it came in. Normally I would say let it go and order exactly what you want but moving to a 2023 there is som pretty big cosmetic changes that are hit or miss with many people. Of course sticker price has a significant change from the 2022 but the 2023 tech improvements may make up for some of that additional cost if those are things you really want. In my opinion a major thing to consider is with higher trims levels and certain options being only available in job 2 it’s going to be quite some time before you will see a 2023.

Last edited:
Back