Phantom Battery Drainage

MTTremor

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 King Ranch Tremor
I just read this article on the F150 Ford phantom battery drain and I wanted to tell you my story.

Sent to reporter:

I have a 2020 Ford F250 Tremor and I do not drive it much.

I have FordPass on my phone and get alerts telling me the last time my truck has been started. If I do not start the truck for 15 days or so it tells me my truck has went into deep sleep. When I did go out to start my truck I was unable to open my doors with the key fob and had to use the key. After getting into the truck I tried again to start it and still dead. I put a battery charger on it for about 30 minutes and then I was able to get it started. To-date my truck has 4,696 miles on it and I was talking to some people on a forum and they told me it happens due to all the electronics running in the background Ford has installed at the factory. They also told me to go into FordPass and schedule some start times and days if I am not using my truck that often. So I did no more issues so far but I do not understand how my trucks batteries can go dead when I have 2? All diesel trucks have 2 batteries installed at the factory.

If by chance could you let me know of what to do or if Ford has a plan to fix this issue.

My wife has a 2020 Subaru Ascent. It does the same thing. If you go more than a week without cranking it, the battery dies.

Subaru told me it is due to EPA emissions crap. They say that new cars come with a pump, in the gas tank that, every few minutes, turns on to re-pressurize the tank. This is supposed to keep gas fumes from leaking out and hurting the flowers and trees... Even when the car is switched off, every 15 or 20 minutes, the pump kicks on to re-pressurize the gas tank. Over a couple of days this drains the battery completely dead.

Subaru told us there is nothing to do. It's meant to do this. So stupid...

I guess we are all supposed to keep our cars plugged into trickle charges from now on... We can save the environment while wasting even more electricity.

I swear these environmental folks make more problems than they solve.

My wife has a 2020 Subaru Ascent. It does the same thing. If you go more than a week without cranking it, the battery dies.

Subaru told me it is due to EPA emissions crap. They say that new cars come with a pump, in the gas tank that, every few minutes, turns on to re-pressurize the tank. This is supposed to keep gas fumes from leaking out and hurting the flowers and trees... Even when the car is switched off, every 15 or 20 minutes, the pump kicks on to re-pressurize the gas tank. Over a couple of days this drains the battery completely dead.

I guess we are all supposed to keep our cars plugged into trickle charges from now on... We can save the environment while wasting even more electricity.

This is BS. Save a tree and flower but let's put more batteries in the landfills.

I just read this article on the F150 Ford phantom battery drain and I wanted to tell you my story.

Sent to reporter:

I have FordPass on my phone and get alerts telling me the last time my truck has been started. If I do not start the truck for 15 days or so it tells me my truck has went into deep sleep. When I did go out to start my truck I was unable to open my doors with the key fob and had to use the key. After getting into the truck I tried again to start it and still dead. I put a battery charger on it for about 30 minutes and then I was able to get it started. To-date my truck has 4,696 miles on it and I was talking to some people on a forum and they told me it happens due to all the electronics running in the background Ford has installed at the factory. They also told me to go into FordPass and schedule some start times and days if I am not using my truck that often. So I did no more issues so far but I do not understand how my trucks batteries can go dead when I have 2? All diesel trucks have 2 batteries installed at the factory.

If by chance could you let me know of what to do or if Ford has a plan to fix this issue.
Not sure as to

No sure as to why "Subaru" told you it was a pump issue when the vehicle is not running. Most cars have the fuel pump in the fuel tank -- with the return line in there as well this does create a pressure build up within the tank and aids in the pumping of fuel. The tank also has a pressure release valve as well to ensure the pressure does not increase too much. Some cars with the cap less fill tube have a door with an electronic release which allows the excess pressure to escape before refueling can begin. There are several law suit (class action) against Subaru due to the battery drain issue goes back to 2016 I believe.

My gas truck makes pumping noises when turned off near the gas tank area. I also have an always hot dash cam that runs in motion detection mode while turned off.

I dont plan on letting my truck sit 2 weeks without starting.

My gas truck makes pumping noises when turned off near the gas tank area. I also have an always hot dash cam that runs in motion detection mode while turned off.

It seems like, every time I open the driver door on my 7.3l, I can hear a buzzing from the gas tank door. It only lasts about 2 seconds.

I figure it's auto priming the fuel system, or pressurized the tank, or something, in anticipation of an immediate start up.

I've never had another vehicle do that before.

It seems like, every time I open the driver door on my 7.3l, I can hear a buzzing from the gas tank door. It only lasts about 2 seconds.

I figure it's auto priming the fuel system, or pressurized the tank, or something, in anticipation of an immediate start up.

I've never had another vehicle do that before.
exactly what I hear, ill see if i can find some more info on it

No battery saver on the dashcam?

Do you have any aftermarket electrics installed?

May be a good time to upgrade batteries? I used Napa BAT 7234 group 31 commercial batteries in the 2004 6.0 and 2007 6.0....I have left them for weeks in the cold...still good. In fact, still have the same batteries from when I brought the Napa's in 2014.
I know the newer trucks have all kinds of electronics/emissions.... I can't see the stock motorcraft 750s lasting more than a year or 2

May be a good time to upgrade batteries? I used Napa BAT 7234 group 31 commercial batteries in the 2004 6.0 and 2007 6.0....I have left them for weeks in the cold...still good. In fact, still have the same batteries from when I brought the Napa's in 2014.
I know the newer trucks have all kinds of electronics/emissions.... I can't see the stock motorcraft 750s lasting more than a year or 2
My stock F150 battery is 8.5 years old. I did have to jump it yesterday at -23 degrees but it had sat outside all weekend and I don’t plug it in.

Do you have any aftermarket electrics installed?
Yes radar detector and some stereo stuff but all turn off with the key. In the article as per the reporter he mentions that Ford thinks it's an update issue and they are working on it.
When I am on the ranch I do not like town. When I need to go from the house I either drive my SXS or the small ranch truck. Longhorns can do some damage to a brand new truck. Plus putting fencing material in the bed is like putting hay in the hay loft off a ladder.
Pictures below tells why I do not like to go to town.

Attachments

• Reasons.JPG
    Reasons.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190920_153508.jpg
    20190920_153508.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
You could attempt to locate where the parasitic draw is

I suspect the FordPass connection itself (haven't fully looked into it) which is supposed to also report your vehicle 'metrics' back to Ford. I wonder if there are settings to limit the reporting frequency and what data you allow to be reported. I am speculating because I do not have my truck yet and am not signed up on FordPass, but I recall reading something about this and also some people had privacy concerns regarding what is being sent to Ford (location and driving habits mainly). You might find out more about this topic in a general Ford forum instead of this Tremor specific forum.

Sounds like you and Sheriff Longmire are bosom buddies! :ROFLMAO:
Nice looking spread.

Yes radar detector and some stereo stuff but all turn off with the key. In the article as per the reporter he mentions that Ford thinks it's an update issue and they are working on it.
When I am on the ranch I do not like town. When I need to go from the house I either drive my SXS or the small ranch truck. Longhorns can do some damage to a brand new truck. Plus putting fencing material in the bed is like putting hay in the hay loft off a ladder.
Pictures below tells why I do not like to go to town.
Nice spread. I don't have my truck yet, but you've got me concerned. I can't have a truck that goes dead. I would be super concerned if I found the truck dead after 6 months of sitting! It's got to be a current draw. Good luck and keep,us posted please.

Nice spread. I don't have my truck yet, but you've got me concerned. I can't have a truck that goes dead. I would be super concerned if I found the truck dead after 6 months of sitting! It's got to be a current draw. Good luck and keep,us posted please.
I'm not an electrician... But, maybe you could just disconnect the battery if you intend to let it set for 6 months?

Or connect a trickle charger?

6 months is a long time to let any vehicle set...

Back