Park Brake

Pompey

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
Ranger PX2 3.2TD
Current Ride #2
1999 Subaru WRX Club Spec Evo 3
In my recent test drive of the F250, the foot operated park brake seemed to struggle to hold the truck when idling in drive. It required a very hard application on the pedal to hold it, and even then it would move with a light touch On the throttle. Is this common, or does it just need adjustment?

Vigilance247

Tremor Fanatic
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
2015 Corvette
In my recent test drive of the F250, the foot operated park brake seemed to struggle to hold the truck when idling in drive. It required a very hard application on the pedal to hold it, and even then it would move with a light touch On the throttle. Is this common, or does it just need adjustment?
I have only used parking brakes in park.

Chris21667

Stilling Recovering my Jeeps
Miltary
Army
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor - 2012 F150 5.0 - 2018 Ford Edge
Current Ride #2
00 and 99 Jeep XJ
I have only used parking brakes in park.
i don't have this problem i have a small slope 4 degree by that the truck says but i use the parking brake on all my vehicles and the 6.7 can't move the truck with the parking brake on .... didn't mean to do that but i disabled the sound for parking so i tried to drive with the brake on and it didn't move at all ... not even with the 1000 ft of power

Mountainman3

Tremor Fan
Current Ride
2016 F-150
Why would you want to leave the tranny in drive and use the parking break?

Mountain Man

Founding Member
TOTM Winner
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
I have a steep driveway. I have to apply the parking brake hard to get it to keep the truck from slowly rolling. I shift to neutral, apply the parking brake, let off the foot brake, then shift to park. This keeps any load off the transmission.

Do you know how hard it has been to engrain this simple procedure with my wife? Nothing worse than having to tear the shifter out of park because she has loaded the trans with 8,000 # while parking.:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
I agree, parking brake seems weak...I usually push it down with moderate force to get it to bite. might need some adjustment...

OP
Pompey

Pompey

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
Ranger PX2 3.2TD
Current Ride #2

jhblaze1

Tremor Fiend
Current Ride
2015 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock
Current Ride #2
Ducati Diavel 1260S
I've never used parking brakes on automatics. and only on my stick if I'm on any kind of incline. I suppose if I was parking an auto on a ridiculously steep hill I might apply it.

Mountain Man

Founding Member
TOTM Winner
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
Stopped at lights, in traffic, taking off on steep hills
You are aware that the truck has a "brake holding" feature specifically for starting out on steep hills? Not sure what it's called but come to a stop on a hill. Take your foot off the brake. The truck will hold in place for approx 5-10sec. As you accelerate, the brake releases. After 5-10sec, the brake releases and you will roll back if not accelerating.

Also, I have never ever heard of anyone applying the parking brake while stopped at a light or in traffic. Why? If you're stopped long enough to apply the parking brake, why not just shift into park?

OP
Pompey

Pompey

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
Ranger PX2 3.2TD
Current Ride #2
1) No, I wasn’t aware it had the hill holder.
2) You are now.
3) The less I have to use that monstrosity of a gear lever the better! No, I’ve always found it easier just to use the park brake. Some Cars have a hold function whereby when you come to a stop, the brakes remain on after you have taken Your foot off the brake pedal until you hit the accelerator. They’re fantastic and so much nicer for driving in traffic.

OP
Pompey

Pompey

Tremor Fanatic
Current Ride
Ranger PX2 3.2TD
Current Ride #2
Yep. Sit back, take your foot off the brake and relax until the lights turn green. I’d say try it, but maybe not if the brake won‘t hold.

driftwoodsvt

First Tremor on Methods!
Staff member
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
Almost 6k miles, and I haven't used my parking brake yet :)

Slow0stang

Tremor Fan
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Tremor
I use my parking brake to control roll when I am hooking on a trailer. I have noticed sometimes it will still roll back once in park.

Vigilance247

Tremor Fanatic
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
2015 Corvette
I use my parking brake to control roll when I am hooking on a trailer. I have noticed sometimes it will still roll back once in park.
It's normal for about a foot of roll out to occur while the parking pawl is engaging.

JC_Tremor

Toasty
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
It's normal for about a foot of roll out to occur while the parking pawl is engaging.
Yeah I don't like it though. So used to a manual transmission that just stops where it is with my inputs. It's going to take some getting used too. Parking brake minimizes it but it still moves.

Vigilance247

Tremor Fanatic
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
2015 Corvette
@Pompey I hope you are able to have your parking brake adjusted to fit your needs.

On a separate note, how is the Tremor in the sand? Do you have any videos taking your Tremor overlanding? I have been watching Ronny Dahl on YouTube and Australia looks beautiful.

Vigilance247

Tremor Fanatic
Miltary
USN
Current Ride
2015 Corvette
Yeah I don't like it though. So used to a manual transmission that just stops where it is with my inputs. It's going to take some getting used too. Parking brake minimizes it but it still moves.
If it still moves with the parking brake on, it might be a good idea to have it adjusted. Keep us posted. Stay safe!