Overweight at the scale?

Jman1428

Tremor Buff
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 XLT 7.3 Tremor
I stopped at an unmanned scale with the camper and trailer. It seems that my rear axle is overweight by 700, is this legal even though I am still less then 11,300?

front axle 3,500
rear axle 7,650

truck weight 11,150

trailer weight 7,100

truck and trailer weight 18,250

trailer tounge weight 900-950

60317791295__C8C5F378-02B0-4138-8E16-DBDE563B1B6B.JPG
tremor payload.JPG
CAMPER & TRAILER.jpeg

I stopped at an unmanned scale with the camper and trailer. It seems that my rear axle is overweight by 700, is this legal even though I am still less then 11,300?

front axle 3,500
rear axle 7,650

truck weight 11,150

trailer weight 7,100

truck and trailer weight 18,250

trailer tounge weight 900-950

View attachment 3531View attachment 3532View attachment 3533
Technically even if your wheel spec is exceeded your illegal....so yes.

Am I ever glad to live in the Yukon and not have to deal with this headache.

Not saying I dont tow within specs, but no scales anywhere around here is nice peace of mind.

Have you weighed your trailer and the tongue weight to ensure it is properly balanced? 10-15% of trailer weight is the target. Shifting your trailer load to the rear could relieve some load on the truck, provided you can still maintain the 10-15% rule.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Looks like your trailer weight distribution is spot on at 13%. Not much you can do there. The idea that UtahPowder mentioned below of a weight distribution hitch could help a little.

Last edited:
Can you use a weight distribution hitch in order to move weight from the rear to front axel?

truck looks like it's sqatting a little and the trailer doesn't look level. maybe adjusting those two may help a little

It did fine on an 800 mile trip (did get some sway at 70-75 mph while passing larger vehicles). That driveway where it was parked is not level, the 6' level had the bubble in the middle but at gas stops it did appear that the trailer was not level (I can easily move the hitch up a notch, but would it have helped that much?). I have sumo springs installed. I have the bulletproof hitch and used the 2" reciever adapter to get enough extention to clear the camper (not ideal but was all I could get, rated at 10k, before the trip). My research on weight distribution hitches (with enough extension) indicated I would need to replace the receiver on the truck and have the I-beam trailer welded to accept the mounts. Would a weight distribution hitch move 700 lbs to the front axle? I'd rather not spend $1,500+ to still be overweight when it tows just fine right now and I'll only be using the camper and trailer together 4-6 times a year. FYI, I got 9.2 mpg on the trip.

It did fine on an 800 mile trip (did get some sway at 70-75 mph while passing larger vehicles). That driveway where it was parked is not level, the 6' level had the bubble in the middle but at gas stops it did appear that the trailer was not level (I can easily move the hitch up a notch, but would it have helped that much?). I have sumo springs installed. I have the bulletproof hitch and used the 2" reciever adapter to get enough extention to clear the camper (not ideal but was all I could get, rated at 10k, before the trip). My research on weight distribution hitches (with enough extension) indicated I would need to replace the receiver on the truck and have the I-beam trailer welded to accept the mounts. Would a weight distribution hitch move 700 lbs to the front axle? I'd rather not spend $1,500+ to still be overweight when it tows just fine right now and I'll only be using the camper and trailer together 4-6 times a year. FYI, I got 9.2 mpg on the trip.
6.7 or 7.3???

How much does that camper in the back weigh? I would think that isn't helping your problem at all. But I wouldn't be too concerned with it or spend a lot of money to fix it unless you are doing this frequently. The 7.3 should be able to put 1500 lbs on the tongue. My bet is the camper is the bloated part. How much interior weight can you move ahead of your rear axle?

7.3L
Camper sticker shows 1,600 lbs.
150 lbs water tank (in front of axle)
~75 lbs food, pans, utensils
~100 lbs clothes, power cords, ladder (front of axle)
Maybe 150 lbs could be taken off tongue.

It would be lame to get a weight distribution hitch with extension and weld the trailer for mounts and still be over rear axle weight

Your WD setup could easily cut that difference by 50% I bet. Just play around with the hitch and loaded cargo.

Technically even if your wheel spec is exceeded your illegal....so yes.
You might look into changing the trailer weight distribution. I don't think you would ever be weight in the U.S. since it isn't a commercial vehicle. I've heard rumors that Canada is strict on truck campers and likely to weigh you.

Back