Other garage projects

Stainless03

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
What are you guys building outside of the truck projects?

With hurricane season starting strong I was looking at things like eco-flow battery backups. But I quickly realized I could build a far more capable system that was easier to expand and originally I thought I would save some money.. I had no plan or idea what I was doing just started haphazardly ordering parts. I'm nearly finished with version one of my Victron battery bank for a portable AC and my refrigerator/freezer and electronics. I still have to wire in the PV disconnect and clean up my wiring, but the initial testing is promising.

I don't know why, but I've been incredibly entertained building this thing. It can charge off of generator power, shore power, and solar. Just enough capacity to run everything overnight and fire the generator back up in the morning.(last time we had no power for two weeks) My generator is capable of running everything but fuel consumption becomes a major concern when all of the stations are out and the roads are closed. This should make things efficient enough to run significantly longer.

Victron Multiplus II 48/3000 inverter/charger
Victron Lynx distributor
Victron cerbo GX and touch screen
Victron 150v/45amp Smartsolar MPPT
2 Eg4 LL-S for just over 10kwh

With just one more inverter I would be 240v capable and able to start the fill size AC on the house but I don't want to go that far quite yet. Keep in mind this isn't the finished product, but it is together enough for testing.

1000007115.jpg

Nothing major lately.... but cool weather today kept us off the boat... so the girls got itchy and randomly decided today was the day they were going to restore my 70's era Tonka's. Not sure why, because they won't even use them afterwards, but let 'em have it with the sand blaster anyway.

10 minutes later, mom was down 1 Tupperware bin.... Dad said they needed a blasting cabinet.... and I ain't got one... so... Hahaha

20240630_111448.jpg

20240630_182842.jpg

We recently put another Scout under the knife again. This was a project we designed and stopped on 11 years ago. We're back at it with new goals based on changes in technology.

20240526_181236.jpg

And it really helps to have an "in house engineer" to design the parts for me. being able to economically design and fabricate custom mounts to package everything in tight spaces together is great.

Suspension.jpg

Last edited:
I'm restoring my 3rd aluminum boat, 1984 18ft MR180 center console. Painted the trailer this weekend:
View attachment 161412View attachment 161413View attachment 161414View attachment 161416View attachment 161417
Did you use marine ply for the flooring or something else? Just curious as I have a project on an older SeaArk I'm going to start on in a few weeks. Trying to decide what, if anything, I want to do with the floor. This is a mod-V so I could probably get away with nothing...

Did you use marine ply for the flooring or something else? Just curious as I have a project on an older SeaArk I'm going to start on in a few weeks. Trying to decide what, if anything, I want to do with the floor. This is a mod-V so I could probably get away with nothing...
ACX exterior grade, sealed with Helmsman Spar Urethane and covered with Nautolex marine vinyl. I used some marine grade during covid when the prices were nearly the same, but the ACX or BCX works just as well when sealed. I use if for my transoms too, but seal those with a 2 part epoxy. Feel free to reach out if you've got any questions. this is the 3rd one I've done. First was a 1972 15ft Starcraft Nova and the second a 1978 16ft Starcraft SuperSport(SS).
Duralux2.jpeg
Duralux3.jpeg
IMG_8741.JPG
IMG_8848.JPG

ACX exterior grade, sealed with Helmsman Spar Urethane and covered with Nautolex marine vinyl. I used some marine grade during covid when the prices were nearly the same, but the ACX or BCX works just as well when sealed. I use if for my transoms too, but seal those with a 2 part epoxy. Feel free to reach out if you've got any questions. this is the 3rd one I've done. First was a 1972 15ft Starcraft Nova and the second a 1978 16ft Starcraft SuperSport(SS).
View attachment 161426View attachment 161427View attachment 161429View attachment 161430
Very cool! Great info, thx.

Well the girls wrapped up their first one last night... have many others if they choose to continue.

Aside from turning a cool old Tonka into a crappy Hitachi, I thought they did a darn nice job for an 8 & 12 year old. I provided the resources, but they performed 100% of the work.
20240708_182633.jpg

20240708_182638.jpg

The wife’s antique tractor was rolled over by a family member last fall. Thankfully nobody got hurt or worse. Had to straighten a lot of stuff, and replace a few items too. But we got it painted and back together for the local 4th of July parade last week 👍
IMG_2668.jpeg
IMG_2701.jpeg

What are you guys building outside of the truck projects?

With hurricane season starting strong I was looking at things like eco-flow battery backups. But I quickly realized I could build a far more capable system that was easier to expand and originally I thought I would save some money.. I had no plan or idea what I was doing just started haphazardly ordering parts. I'm nearly finished with version one of my Victron battery bank for a portable AC and my refrigerator/freezer and electronics. I still have to wire in the PV disconnect and clean up my wiring, but the initial testing is promising.

I don't know why, but I've been incredibly entertained building this thing. It can charge off of generator power, shore power, and solar. Just enough capacity to run everything overnight and fire the generator back up in the morning.(last time we had no power for two weeks) My generator is capable of running everything but fuel consumption becomes a major concern when all of the stations are out and the roads are closed. This should make things efficient enough to run significantly longer.

Victron Multiplus II 48/3000 inverter/charger
Victron Lynx distributor
Victron cerbo GX and touch screen
Victron 150v/45amp Smartsolar MPPT
2 Eg4 LL-S for just over 10kwh

With just one more inverter I would be 240v capable and able to start the fill size AC on the house but I don't want to go that far quite yet. Keep in mind this isn't the finished product, but it is together enough for testing.

View attachment 161346
Awesome!!!!!!

In 2021 I did a Goal Zero backup system for some essential circuits in my house. I currently have a GZ 3000W inverter, 8 100aH batteries and a small 4 circuit generator panel powering my downstairs kitchen lights (all LED), my Sump Pump, the circuit my Pellet Stove, my wife’s office, and all our internet is on, as well as the refrigerator.

IMG_8403.jpeg

Fast forward to today.

My F150 Lightning has a total of 9.6kW of inverter power…. 7.2kW of which is in the form of a 240V 30A twist lock plug.

I ordered a General 6852 Generator panel and a GE Temporary power box (arriving today). This panel is specifically made for generators with a bonded neutral but once I install it I will be able to power my Well Pump, and Boiler, most all of my lights, chest freezer, and some other odds and ends including a small window shaker. I’m pretty excited about this once since the Well Pump was the only real sacrifice and with this we can go on with business as usual.

FWIW my truck has a 131 kWhr battery which even not full should be able to power my house for more than a week being conservative.

I also have a Honda 2200 generator converted to Propane to keep me running off portable or my 500 gallon tank…. Oh and solar power to keep the Goal Zero system on….

Come to think of it my truck and camper also has A/C a 1500W inverter and 400aH it LiFePo batteries….

I’d say I’m pretty well prepped for power failure but living way out in the country you kind of have to be.

Fast forward to today.

My F150 Lightning has a total of 9.6kW of inverter power…. 7.2kW of which is in the form of a 240V 30A twist lock plug.

I ordered a General 6852 Generator panel and a GE Temporary power box (arriving today). This panel is specifically made for generators with a bonded neutral but once I install it I will be able to power my Well Pump, and Boiler, most all of my lights, chest freezer, and some other odds and ends including a small window shaker. I’m pretty excited about this once since the Well Pump was the only real sacrifice and with this we can go on with business as usual.

FWIW my truck has a 131 kWhr battery which even not full should be able to power my house for more than a week being conservative.

I also have a Honda 2200 generator converted to Propane to keep me running off portable or my 500 gallon tank…. Oh and solar power to keep the Goal Zero system on….

Come to think of it my truck and camper also has A/C a 1500W inverter and 400aH it LiFePo batteries….

I’d say I’m pretty well prepped for power failure but living way out in the country you kind of have to be.
I would love to have that kind of capacity. I just keep telling myself I'm not going to stay in this house long because I don't have room to build a shop, so I refuse to actually wire a big system in. I did pick up a few solar panels that I can setup outside when the need arises. My power power onboard will only feed 1500ish watts to the charger, but it makes a nice backup to my gas genset. And with 3 diesel trucks plus an in bed tank, I have the spare fuel around to let her run for quite a while. I can't wait until I have bulk tanks again and none of these concerns.

I've actually found myself using this little Victron system quite often for the power assist feature. Another problem with this house is the 15amp outlets in the garage loves to pop the breaker. With the Victron it will pull 12ish from the grid and boost up to another 35amps if needed. So I can plug in my compressor and stand up AC without worry now.

IMG_3140.jpeg

Added this tonight when I got home from work. It’s just an empty shell but it’s a start, I figured the hole through the wall was the hard part inside I’ll run conduit along the bottom of the wall up to the new generac panel beside my breaker box. My garage is finished so like with the previous box I need to get from outside the wall to inside, which is kind of a pain in the ass tbh….

Back