Ordering times

ThreeLRanch

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Lithium Gray BO W/HCTP
So I was going to try and order in the next 2-3 months so I could save up 7-10 grand to put down but now things have changed a little and looks like it will be around October before I could put an order in. So my question is for someone that’s never orders one is .... does ford let you order pretty much all year ? I know I saw where they ended early this year but what’s the normal time they stop ?

I believe in late March the 21 orders stopped. I bought my truck april 8 and orders were closed. this is for super duty only

So I was going to try and order in the next 2-3 months so I could save up 7-10 grand to put down but now things have changed a little and looks like it will be around October before I could put an order in. So my question is for someone that’s never orders one is .... does ford let you order pretty much all year ? I know I saw where they ended early this year but what’s the normal time they stop ?
Well, nothing is set in stone anymore, with COVID everything changes constantly, but for last year they closed 20' orders in August and then opened 21' orders in early Nov. So basically a 3 month window to build the remaining 20' trucks and no placing orders for trucks during that time.

Well, nothing is set in stone anymore, with COVID everything changes constantly, but for last year they closed 20' orders in August and then opened 21' orders in early Nov. So basically a 3 month window to build the remaining 20' trucks and no placing orders for trucks during that time.
I understand that it’s been an abnormal year and what I was mainly wondering is how they usally do on cut off times and know that could vary. I hope I’ll be safe in waiting until October before ordering. I really don’t want to get into the 23’s because of the interior redesign I feel like will come.

Just a thought..... put the order in at the end of the summer so you get in under the wire, finance the truck when it comes in with whatever down payment you have at that point, and then re finance it a few months later when you get the rest of the down payment...
You do not need a full down payment to order it, any dealer will take $500 or $1000 on an order, and quite honestly, if the truck came in and you felt you could not take it, I am sure they would give you your money back, any dealer can sell a tremor that they have in stock in a heartbeat, they wont get get stuck with it....

Just a thought..... put the order in at the end of the summer so you get in under the wire, finance the truck when it comes in with whatever down payment you have at that point, and then re finance it a few months later when you get the rest of the down payment...
You do not need a full down payment to order it, any dealer will take $500 or $1000 on an order, and quite honestly, if the truck came in and you felt you could not take it, I am sure they would give you your money back, any dealer can sell a tremor that they have in stock in a heartbeat, they wont get get stuck with it....
Yeah…mine was so confident in my 2022 order they did not ask for anything to place it. I suspect they hope several people decide not to pick up. They will still be needing lot trucks as these deliver and will make far more profit if the original buyer walks.

Yeah…mine was so confident in my 2022 order they did not ask for anything to place it. I suspect they hope several people decide not to pick up. They will still be needing lot trucks as these deliver and will make far more profit if the original buyer walks.
Mine also would not accept a down payment, I now think that they are hoping I don’t take it since they agreed to sell it at invoice pricing.

less principle to pay on so less interest overall and lower payment?
This. I went the order route to get my Lariat Tremor because it was easier to put more down after 3-5 months than buying a 21 off the lot.

Time value of money doesn't apply when you're locked in on an order at today's price (esp. with any discounts). Your buying power stays the same and will be a little higher without paying car insurance and interest during the 3-5 month period.

I also WFH until around the time my Tremor is available so car sharing with the wife is no big deal (although it's hard to do projects sans truck).

IMO, it doesn't make a ton of sense to bring so much cash into a deal under current circumstances if you're taking a meaningful loan anyway.

e.g. The monthly payment difference between $10k down and no money down at 2% for 60 months on $70k is ~$175 and the total interest is ~$500. You can well out-earn that interest with $10k in cash invested today. And that interest rate can be beaten.

So the only reason IMO to bring cash into the deal is to stay in the black on the LTV of the vehicle, but under current circumstances I think that's easily done with far less cash. Or with no cash on a good deal (e.g. if you're doing an order on x-plan with PCO.)

The only other reason would be to keep your DTI lower. But if $175 is having a measurable effect on your DTI, buying a $70k truck is not a great idea anyway.

In other words, maybe put your order in now if you can afford the truck.

IMO, it doesn't make a ton of sense to bring so much cash into a deal under current circumstances if you're taking a meaningful loan anyway.

e.g. The monthly payment difference between $10k down and no money down at 2% for 60 months on $70k is ~$175 and the total interest is ~$500. You can well out-earn that interest with $10k in cash invested today. And that interest rate can be beaten.

So the only reason IMO to bring cash into the deal is to stay in the black on the LTV of the vehicle, but under current circumstances I think that's easily done with far less cash. Or with no cash on a good deal (e.g. if you're doing an order on x-plan with PCO.)

The only other reason would be to keep your DTI lower. But if $175 is having a measurable effect on your DTI, buying a $70k truck is not a great idea anyway.

Basically what I plan to do; no money down since I'd rather have the flexibility of having that cash for whatever situation may arise. My rule of thumb is to always have at least 1 year of payments saved cash. On a 4 year loan, that leaves 3 years left. Plenty of room for flexibility with uncertainty in today's world.

I technically could pay for half the truck so buying 70-80k isn’t an issue but I like to keep cash on hand and to me paying 10k is where is see it helping me out and where I want to be at. Trying to pay my house off in 10 years as well so I have to take that in to account as well vs the 30 year note a have.

You should be fine for ordering a 2022 they will at least build them until may unless a new fabricated pandemic shows up or another major part shortage, then who knows. Ford is do for an exterior redesign on the superduty rumors are for 2023 but they are very tight lipped on that stuff.

Back