Order Issues

bubzilla

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 6.7 Lariat
Working with a local dealer on ordering a 2021. Being told by the salesperson that they cannot generate an X-Plan price until they have an invoice. He alleges they do not have that until 3-4 weeks after placing the order. Presumably expecting, quite incorrectly, that I would lay down a deposit without agreeing to a price in advance. Sounds like complete BS, but was in hopes someone who has gone through the experience can shed some light on the subject. Also, he alleges Tuesday is the day for making new orders. I am not sure why that would not be on a rolling basis, but again curious if anyone has the lowdown.

Did he generate an order, the spec sheet for vehicle outlining all of the options you are requesting? That form should the price? Once they have that, they know exacly what percentage they can offer or provide based on plans, incentives, etc...

Working with a local dealer on ordering a 2021. Being told by the salesperson that they cannot generate an X-Plan price until they have an invoice. He alleges they do not have that until 3-4 weeks after placing the order. Presumably expecting, quite incorrectly, that I would lay down a deposit without agreeing to a price in advance. Sounds like complete BS, but was in hopes someone who has gone through the experience can shed some light on the subject. Also, he alleges Tuesday is the day for making new orders. I am not sure why that would not be on a rolling basis, but again curious if anyone has the lowdown.
This may be true. However, xplan should be within a couple hundred of invoice pricing, he should have invoice pricing as soon as he entered the options. Ask for the invoice price on your truck.

+1 on what richtor said. ALSO, I believe Tuesday is t when Ford pics up the new orders from the dealerships and puts them into their system. I think you should know what your X-Plan pricing is regardless of submitting that order. Maybe someone else has more info and can chime in.

At the bottom of my order form the A/Z, D and X plan pricing is listed. They entered the X Plan pin# at the time I ordered.

I believe this is the case. I didn't give my pin till i picked up the truck. So i didn't have the true X-plan price until then.

I also put a 500 dollar deposit down and that was fully refundable.

look for a new dealer. they just don't want to show you. they know what the invoice will be when they put the order together in their system.

My dealer sent me the order sheet with the xplan price on it before he confirmed the order.
It showed order #, priority, MSRP, A/Z/D pricing as well.
He didn't need my code as xplan is xplan regardless of what pin is used.

Last edited:
There are several websites where you can get invoice pricing on any vehicle. (KBB, Costco, etc.) An honest dealer will give you the pricing up front without requiring any money from you. I placed my order at $1000 under invoice without a deposit and I knew the exact price I was going to pay before my Priority 10 order was submitted to Ford. My price was about $1200 under X-Plan so I never bothered to tell him I was qualified for X-Plan.

It sounds like your dealer is already starting to play games even before you have given them any money. It might be time to look for another dealer who will give you an honest answer up front. Ask to work with the Fleet Manager as they are used to selling trucks at much lower prices without involving a salesman.

Also, by 2 weeks, I had my VIN and window sticker for my special ordered truck, so I am not sure what he is talking about 3-4 weeks for an "invoice". haha

Last edited:
I was told the essentially the same thing. My order form does not have X-plan but does have the invoice prices. I was also told that they needed to input the X-Plan PIN to get the fields to show. We just did the X-Plan math off of the invoice price for an estimate with the exact match to be provided once the PIN was provided. They also said the invoice price may adjust based on Ford incentives.

Since X-Plan pricing is just a math formula I'm not worried about the minor changes and just plan on confirming all the available incentives just before we do the final paperwork.

Why not provide the PIN at order? I recall they expire.

You and your dealer are not following the rules. Here are some of them:

Obtaining a Vehicle
  • Immediately identify yourself to the dealer as an X-Plan – Partner Recognition Program eligible customer.
  • Give the dealer only the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) and your seven digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). (This combination is your New Vehicle Purchase Plan ID number).
  • The dealer will enter your Purchase Plan ID into the computer to verify your eligibility. Once your eligibility has been verified, the dealer can lock in the approval to complete the transaction. (If you decide not to complete the transaction at that dealership, ask the dealer to cancel the locked-in approval so that you can use it elsewhere.)

You and your dealer are not following the rules. Here are some of them:

Obtaining a Vehicle
  • Immediately identify yourself to the dealer as an X-Plan – Partner Recognition Program eligible customer.
  • Give the dealer only the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) and your seven digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). (This combination is your New Vehicle Purchase Plan ID number).
  • The dealer will enter your Purchase Plan ID into the computer to verify your eligibility. Once your eligibility has been verified, the dealer can lock in the approval to complete the transaction. (If you decide not to complete the transaction at that dealership, ask the dealer to cancel the locked-in approval so that you can use it elsewhere.)
I have done items one and two.

I have done items one and two.
No doubt. Clearly the dealer isn't doing it right. As others have said, even you can get x-plan pricing. Personally I do it through Ford's build and price website. It gives me my x-plan pricing straight up. You need to start from fordpartner.com and then you get to build and price with x-plan. The only option it doesn't offer is the rain sensing wipers and heated steering wheel. But other than that it's accurate. But your dealer is not. Good luck.

Last edited:
I walked in and told them I was Xplan. Jumped on the dealers computer and built it on the Ford website. Printed it out. She disappeared for about 30 min then came back with all the pricing from A to Z, invoice and MSRP. Didn’t ask for my pin. I believe they’ll take it when I pick it up. Dunno but either way they do not need a pin to provide the Xplan price.

I walked in and told them I was Xplan. Jumped on the dealers computer and built it on the Ford website. Printed it out. She disappeared for about 30 min then came back with all the pricing from A to Z, invoice and MSRP. Didn’t ask for my pin. I believe they’ll take it when I pick it up. Dunno but either way they do not need a pin to provide the Xplan price.
My dealer (Fleet Manager) was even better. He spun his monitor around and built the truck with me in about 10 minutes. When the order system would not accept the GVWR downgrade to 11,400, he went old school, brought up the C:\ prompt, and built it bit by bit. I walked out of the office with a clean order (price, tax, license and doc fee) and had a VIN a few days later.

If you're up for road trip, head up to Ford of Kirkland and talk to Steve C. in the Fleet Department. Brian C. at Korum (in Puyallup) is good too. Both are old school no-nonsense guys and will get it done for you.

My dealer (Fleet Manager) was even better. He spun his monitor around and built the truck with me in about 10 minutes. When the order system would not accept the GVWR downgrade to 11,400, he went old school, brought up the C:\ prompt, and built it bit by bit. I walked out of the office with a clean order (price, tax, license and doc fee) and had a VIN a few days later.

If you're up for road trip, head up to Ford of Kirkland and talk to Steve C. in the Fleet Department. Brian C. at Korum (in Puyallup) is good too. Both are old school no-nonsense guys and will get it done for you.
Why did you do 11400? 26K total is what matters in WA to avoid CDL. Also, why didn't you go to Puyallup for lower sales tax? I'm in Redmond getting ready to pick a dealer for an order.

Why did you do 11400? 26K total is what matters in WA to avoid CDL. Also, why didn't you go to Puyallup for lower sales tax? I'm in Redmond getting ready to pick a dealer for an order.
Just wanted to avoid any potential wierdness that may take place with the 11,500 GVWR. Who knows what the special folks down in OLY are capable of.

If you're looking for the most tax friendly environment, go to Skagit Ford. I think the tax in Puyallup and Kirkland is the same. Apples to apples the tax in Skagit would have saved me $1k. I was able to work a favorable deal out with Ford of Kirkland so went with them.

The time from order placement to production was exactly two months, and the truck has been handed off to the transporter. The guys at Kirkland (Justin S./Steve C.) and Korum (Brian C.) were all solid, and I'd happily recommend either of them. Maybe they'll knock a few bucks off so you can buy from a local dealer while not having to absorb all of the King County Tax Burden.

Good luck!

My dealer sent me the order sheet with the xplan price on it before he confirmed the order.
It showed order #, priority, MSRP, A/Z/D pricing as well.
He didn't need my code as xplan is xplan regardless of what pin is used.
This is exactly what I got from one dealership also. That said, I am hageling with multiple dealers to see if i can get better than X plan. Here is my build. I was told 64k for X plan. MSRP is 67k. Compared to the 20% off I got on my Silverado, it's hardly great. but better than MSRP.

https://shop.ford.com/build/superduty/?gnav=header-trucks-bp#/config/Config[|Ford|SuperDuty|2021|1|1.|618A.W3B.160.TB...LAR.CRW.85G.16T.90R.86M.85D.873.66S.YZKAA.17L.17Y.96L.SRW.350.CBB.]

They are being lazy, call a different dealer. Print your specs, call fleet managers and tell them you have xplan and are shopping for the best deal, email the build sheet.

I had 3 offers by email in 24 hours each with their own incentives being offered. I got $2500 off of Xplan price with very little effort on a 21 F250 Lariat Tremor 7.3 ordered last week.

Back