Opinions: Peragon vs Lomax

RickinAZ

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
I've been searching for a tonneau cover. Needless to say, I've journeyed down the rabbit hole and continue to do so. There are a lot of options available.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Peragon Limited HD , a Lomax Stance Black Urethane, or an Undercover Armor Flex.

Things I'm considering in my decision:
1) Security
2) Water resistance
3) Ease of access
4) Ease of removal (when needed)
5) Appearance
6) Durability

Installation of all 3 seems to be relatively simple.

There are plenty of pros for each, but I'm more interested in what the cons are. What I have thus far:

Peragon
- Can only be opened from the front (behind the cab)
- Either all open or all closed, no intermediate
- Items moving around in bed can possibly block cover from opening

Lomax
- The carbon fiber is cool, just not willing to spend the extra $$
- Goofy roof attachment mechanism

Undercover
- Leaking at bed corners
- Weight

I'd really appreciate your feedback and thoughts. If you have one, how has it held up and would you buy it again?

Thanks in advance,

Rick in AZ
22 Lariat Tremor 6.7

Last edited:
Reactions: ccw
The only thing I don't like about Paragon covers is that the panels need space at the front of the bed to drop in as the cover opens. I see it as potentially problematic if you load from front to back or if a snug load shifts to the front of the bed while the cover is closed, you can't open it without unloading or climbing in to move stuff.

With the Paragon, opening from the cab side only would be a deal killer for me as full as my bed can get at times.

Lomax seems nice with no real cons. Maybe losing the 3rd brake light and high-mount camera to check your bed if needed, or if it's too long for a 5th wheel/gooseneck.

The Undercover is basically the same as the Bakflip MX4 with Line-X, also sold by Line-X as the LXP with a lifetime warranty. It is heavy but easily doable for me and my wife is able to open it but doesn't care to. I don't get leaking at the front but get some water intrusion in the tailgate area only if going to an automated car wash. We had heavy rain this year and I haven't noticed water coming through. I would definitely buy it again as I have paralysis analysis and still settled on it. I needed full access to the bed by having it fold up, be removable without much trouble, be low profile for the 5th wheel, and be short enough to tow with the 5th wheel in the down position instead of against the glass.

Last edited:
- Items moving around in bed can possibly block cover from opening

The only thing I don't like about Paragon covers is that the panels need space at the front of the bed to drop in as the cover opens. I see it as potentially problematic if you load from front to back or if a snug load shifts to the front of the bed while the cover is closed, you can't open it without unloading or climbing in to move stuff.
Related to this, you're also limited when loading the bed with the cover open if you want to be able to close the cover over your cargo afterwards. If that cargo is too close to the open cover, the panels won't be able come forward to close.

The devious part is that bed space isn't "obviously" lost - quite easy to accidentally load in that space and not realize it until you think you're done and go to close the cover.

Take a look at the BAK Revolver. I have had mine for more than 2 years and have yet to see water in my bed. It rolls up out of the way and still allows you to use your rear window when opened fully.

33FC4E54-EED6-45EB-BF13-B1C3B6806E51.jpeg
DC7C9F48-25AC-4190-A2EC-B307F2C46DFB.jpeg
B85387C5-44B8-4898-A5AE-C96C14D36A4A.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I debated on this as well as the Truxedo version. How secure are the sides when rolled out?
There is a bar that runs the length of the bed that slides over the edge of each slat. It is as secure as any of the other covers, except maybe a full fiber glass painted one.

EDIT: I added two more pictures and you can see the edge in the last picture.

I have a Retrax pro at the moment, and I think I'd probably go a different route if I were to do it all over again.

Main reason is ease of removal when needed (i.e. for a camper on the weekends).
Secondary reason is that it isn't as weathertight as I'd hoped, so I can reliably use the truck bed like a giant trunk in the winter... I still have to think about things getting wet.

So, from my perspective, I'd go with something like a diamondback/renegade that is straightforward to remove but has some additional weight-bearing utility.

If I didn't need that extra weightbearing, I'd probably go with a roll-up cover or a lomax for light-weight and flexibility/ease of removal.

Paragon is awesome, but getting things stuck in the back would drive me nuts.

I don't put much stock into the security aspect for any of these (if you're that worried, get a high-end toolbox... all of these tonneau covers are pretty easy to break into if you were motivated. They just keeps honest people honest, and temptations out of sight.

Another vote for Bak Revolver. Doesn't block the hitch area on camera for goosneck/5th wheel and doesn't take up space in the bed when rolled up. No water ever, except a couple drips at the very back of the bed in a automated carwash

I have been nothing short of impressed by my Lomax. So much so that I put one on my sons truck and have been recommending it for years now. I originally had one on my 2017, moved it to my 2021, and now to my 2022. Never a drop of water in the bed. I love the fact that when closed it is super low profile.

Very interested in this as I am thinking I’m going to go away from a cross bed tool box to a cover. I think I can consolidate my tools into bins for under the seat and may add one of the swing cases if needed. We take the truck when traveling anywhere so would like a cover for the back for all the luggage and extra stuff with a wife and 2 kids. Plus the tool box is taking up more bed space then I think it’s worth.

I had the Peragon xrp in my cart last night (with $200 coupon) but didn’t pull the trigger. Looking at the bak revolver now I may look at that again… I really like the Peragon and had just planned to put a bar or small tool box against the can to make sure nothing would prevent it from opening. But I do like the bak now seeing it again.

There is a bar that runs the length of the bed that slides over the edge of each slat. It is as secure as any of the other covers, except maybe a full fiber glass painted one.

EDIT: I added two more pictures and you can see the edge in the last picture.
I debated between the Revolver and the Sentry CT and have been happy with the Sentry, although both are a fine choice. This was discussed in several recent threads:

I like the 15deg rails, ease of removal, and matte finish...

I also was considering a Roll n Lock but decided on a top roller for removal needs and maintaining bed space...

Has anyone with the revolver (maybe sentry) from colder areas had experience with them not able to roll up when it was cold? Watched a review and person said they had a frost and was below freezing overnight and in the morning it wasn’t possible to roll up. Just wondering if that’s not the norm or that should be expected.

Has anyone with the revolver (maybe sentry) from colder areas had experience with them not able to roll up when it was cold? Watched a review and person said they had a frost and was below freezing overnight and in the morning it wasn’t possible to roll up. Just wondering if that’s not the norm or that should be expected.
Never had any problems in Ohio, but my truck lives in the garage

I have been able to roll up my Revolver when it gets into the low 30s to the high 20s. It only gets that cold once or twice a year in SE Texas and it does not last for more than a day or two.

I think you'll find this issue with pretty much all tonneau covers that have rubber seals, regardless of design.

Depending on the nature of the frost and the weather the day before, the rubber seals can freeze to the surface they're sealing with. I've had this happen numerous times with my DiamondBack on my current truck, and my BakFlip on my previous truck.

In both cases I've found using the backside (not the sharp side!) of the blade of a pocket knife works well to get under the rubber and break it free. I'm sure there's other methods that would work, too.

I saw a video on a Revolver that had this issue, but I recall it may have been in Alaska... Have not had an issue with the Sentry and my truck doesn't fit in the garage so it takes the full brunt of Winter. I keep the snow off of it as preventative maintenance (load and thaw-refreeze)

I saw a video on a Revolver that had this issue, but I recall it may have been in Alaska... Have not had an issue with the Sentry and my truck doesn't fit in the garage so it takes the full brunt of Winter. I keep the snow off of it as preventative maintenance (load and thaw-refreeze)
I have the revolver and also part outside and haven't run into any issues. I will say that mine doesn't get rolled up all that often though but it has a few times in the cold with no issues.

I journeyed down the same rabbit hole before I found the forum. I bought the bak revolver after having the truxedo fold ups on my f150’s. I wanted something that would support some weight on it as well. Needless to say very happy with it just hate that you have to pop it up before you close the tailgate but I can live it’s it since I’m not in and out of it. On another note it seals 100 times better then the trifold i had too dry as a whistle instide

Back