Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Current Ride #2
2023 F350 Lariat Ult Tremor w/ BAP
1672358311540.jpeg

Anyone ever see something like this?

I want to see a video of the wheelie it was doing before the frame bent in that direction.

Maybe the black water tank was really really full.

My Scout II I rolled years ago bent in that direction. The top of the doors were 6 inches or so above the bed line instead of lining up.

Never seen anything like it in person but have seen similar photos online of various different trucks with frame failure like that.

Got to be more to this story.
The center of gravity is usually fairly close to the rear axle on those.

So yeah, you could overload the rear axle, maybe break a leaf spring or axle or such.
But it wouldn't break the frame in 1/2 behind the cab like that.

Old 80's toyota pickup would break in half all the time.
Frames would rust completely through just behind the cab.
But then you'd just lock the front hub, put it in 4wd and keep going.
As me how I know this. :)

That has to be photoshopped. Think about it. It's a 3500 dually. You're telling me that some camper manufacturer, manufactures a slide in camper that is so heavy that a 3500 dually can't carry it? If that can't handle it, then truck would it be designed for? The truck is too new to have had the frame rust through yet. If that camper is designed to slide into a pickup bed, there is no heavier pickup that I'm aware of. 450 maybe, I don't know, doesn't pass the smell test.

That has to be photoshopped. Think about it. It's a 3500 dually. You're telling me that some camper manufacturer, manufactures a slide in camper that is so heavy that a 3500 dually can't carry it? If that can't handle it, then truck would it be designed for? The truck is too new to have had the frame rust through yet. If that camper is designed to slide into a pickup bed, there is no heavier pickup that I'm aware of. 450 maybe, I don't know, doesn't pass the smell test.
I guess Dodge is denying warranty. The driver misunderstood the specs. It’s rated at 7800 pounds payload for a two-door dually short box. And only 5800 pounds for a crew cab long box Which he has. So technically the camper made it overweight. So dodge is blaming the driver. A lot of people get confused on the specs the way they figure it out.

Yeah I read that article.I really feel for the guy. He is filing a claim with his insurance now. I think I read it was 17k in repairs

i am not saying its real, but i have seen a few jeeps and nissan pickups do that before in that exact spot.. right behind the cab

I feel for the guy but I guarantee he knew he was overloaded. Many truck camper people accept being overloaded because almost every single one is unless you’re driving a 450/550. He chose to take the risk and found the engineering failure point.

Hopefully his ride gets sorted out and is back on the road soon!

I'm guessing he never took it to a scale to see where he actually stood regarding axle load. I'm betting that rear axle was grossly overloaded and he looks to have a lot of that weight behind the axle with the motorcycle hanging off the back. Who knows how much he added in cargo, holding tanks and such.

I saw this on Reddit. One guy made a good comment about the mounting of the camper tie-downs and those potentially being welded to the frame the wrong way. I am not a welder, but the main thought was that it softened the steel of the frame when they welded the mountings for the camper to the frame.

Personally, I agree - I would never trust this truck again. If I would be the insurance adjuster, I would total that thing because liability is a bitch and may come back to the insurance or the shop that does the "repair".

same thing happened to a guy on another forum with his tundra..

Quoted excerpt from the other forum I saw it on:

Also worth noting is where the camper will sit in relation to the rear axle and where you center of gravity is.

This guy contacted me regarding setting up his Tundra and a FWC. I adamantly told him it was a bad idea due to where it would sit on a double cab, and how the FWC weigh a fair amount more than their bogus claims.

He threw a childish Rant, told me I didn’t know anything and blocked me.

About a year later, here it is:

Folks keep regurgitating the “FWC are light” nonsense and the “you’ll be fine” nonsense and this is the result.

I’ll bet tacos you’re going to see more and more of this happening now that the frames are fatiguing because poorly educated people removed all the flex out of their frames.

Folks that say “do you really need that much GVWR” are likely the same folks that drive on the freeway with their masks on

The guy with the Tundra discussed some of his Instagram posts. He crested a hill and either hit a wash or a bump on the other side. Judging by his other post on IG he likes driving fast off-road. He had added some cross members and did box the frame. With the bigger camper on the short bed truck it created a nice lever. He claims that his upgrades to the frame gave him an additional 2,800 lbs over stock GVWR 🤣
Sounds like his insurance covered him and he's already found another tundra to swap all his parts and camper to 😬
09BDFB62-C94D-4F79-BE10-F3B8298E0B75.jpeg

I guess Dodge is denying warranty. The driver misunderstood the specs. It’s rated at 7800 pounds payload for a two-door dually short box. And only 5800 pounds for a crew cab long box Which he has. So technically the camper made it overweight. So dodge is blaming the driver. A lot of people get confused on the specs the way they figure it out.
The payload is literally stickered to door frame, no way to confuse. Also if you're going to haul or tow, you need to learn more about your truck before you do it

Latest Discussions

Back