One Year Impressions

Parksoffroad

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350
Its been one year since I picked up the new truck. I ordered my truck on February 15th, 2020, it was built on March 15th 2020 (yes, a Sunday), just days before the first flu related shutdowns occurred, and it was delivered on March 28th and came home with me. I did a 5k mile review, and this is a updated version of that review now that I have just over 11k miles, two major road trips and one year of time in the truck.

First to start off with the things that I like.

--Adaptive cruise control... best thing ever! How many times have you been going down the highway and you set the cruise control and someone passes and them pulls in front you of and slows down? Having the truck slow and speed up automatically is great.

--The surround camera system. Parking a larger vehicle in day to day parking places can be a challenge. Being able to pull up the 360 camera to see how your situated in the parking spot, how close you are to the other vehicles and such is great. The system is also nice off-road when your trying to see over the big hood when cresting a hill or negotiating obstacles off-road. We even used it to watch a bear sniff our rear bumper and to make sure he was not trying to climb in!

--Cooled seats. I was really hesitant to get leather, the cooled seats was the make or break for me. Im one of those people thats always too hot, I was afraid it was going to be too hot and sticky with the leather, but the cooling takes care of it nicely. Over the last year, any time it starts to get warm on the seat cooler goes!

--Driver memory. Being able to get the seats, telescoping / tilt steering wheel, pedals and mirrors adjusted and locked into memory, then having the wife able to do the same and just being able to push a button and everything moves to the preset position for that driver is amazing. Really nice not having to change everything every time you switch drivers.

--Keyless entry. This was something that I was not to excited about, had it been optional I might have gone with the standard old key. Now, I am glad I went with the keyless system. During both of our road trips, just having the key fob in your pocket and walking up to the vehicle and having it open and away you go without pushing unlock on the key fob or anything has been really nice. The vehicle just knows its you and unlocks and works. There are a few annoying things that I am not sure if they are limited to the keyless system, like it beeping the horn twice if you get out with the key and the truck running, but that can be addressed with Forscan. Overall, its a great system.

--LED headlights. These things are bright. Strike that, they are crazy bright! We joke about how many people are going to flash their high beams at us when we drive at night, and after driving the truck and going back to our 2001 Expedition with conventional headlights it sometimes seems like I forgot to even turn the headlights on and I find myself checking the headlight switch because the old lights now seem so dim. Added bonus, all of the lighting on the truck is LED, so power consumption is minimal compared to older filament based lighting.

Things that could use some improvement.

--The adaptive cruise control. Its great but... I will say one thing about it, my daughter has a 2019 Subaru Outback that also has the adaptive cruise control, and the Subaru system is much more refined than Fords system. The braking on the Ford is much more sudden and harsh than it has to be, and if your behind a slower vehicle and you pull out the truck wants to romp on it instead of slowly and evenly accelerating. Its still awesome, but having driven both Ford as some room for improvement.

--The gas mileage is not as good as I had hoped for, but not terrible for what it is. I know, I know, its a truck. If I was looking for gas mileage I could have purchased just about anything but this beast! Overall average mileage has been hanging out right about 13mpg. It can go higher for long highway stretches, and lower for in town driving and towing. On our second road trip we had a few hours where we were driving just about straight into a major headwind, and it went down into the low 11 range for a while. Not sure if they can improve on this or not, but running empty on the highway I hoped for better numbers. Regardless, its the fastest accelerating most powerful engine I have ever had in any vehicle I have ever owned. I hope that it lives up to its expectations for longevity and simplicity for repairs as they think it will.

--Fit and finish. There are a few minor fit and finish issues that should have been caught before delivery, given they were things that I also missed when picking the truck up only to notice later but for the factory or dealership that does this day in and day out someone along the way should have seen them. On the rear bumper, passenger side, there is a small area that did not get the full coat of paint. Most people would not notice it unless you pointed it out, but still, its there. Its not something that I would be too concerned with and I would not go back and have them try to repaint anything to fix it, might be more hassle than its worth. I have I think one or two very small rattles developing in the cab, although its so quiet that you hear everything! The heavy plastic stray in my wifes reusable drink cup makes one heck of a loud rattle as you go down the road! The "Super Duty" plastic door sill trim piece on both sides have a corner thats lifted. On the drivers side, its toward the rear and I have caught my shoe on it getting in and out of the truck multiple times so its now really bad. Its something that I will have replaced during the next oil change when it goes in, but its a little stupid thing that should not have happened in the first place.

Overall observations-

During our two road trips we did pretty much every type of driving you can do. From deep sand to highway to a major snowstorm with snow and ice covered roads, I think the only thing I have not done so far is hit a big deep mud pit. The truck handled it all with ease. During the snow storm we found ourselves driving on a highway with a 60-70 mph speed limit doing maybe 30 and the road was nowhere in sight covered by a thick layer of ice and snow. With the tires at full recommended pressure, I stomped on the brakes and gas a few times to see what would happen, and... nothing noteworthy happened. The ABS activated, the truck continued straight on and not much else for the brake test. The factory tires did a good job in the snow, I was more than pleased with their performance. I tried stomping on the gas both in normal and snow modes, it broke loose more in normal but snow mode slowed things down and ignored some of my throttle input to keep it going without spinning out. My wife and her mother took the new Ranger (purchased the same day we ordered my truck) on a road trip this last year as well. My wife drove most of the trip, and had never driven in the snow before. Once they figured out the 4x4 controls and drive modes, she too felt the computer delivered a sure footed and comfortable driving experience even for someone like herself with no snow driving experience. The computer systems are impressive these days taking much of the work away from potentially inexperienced drivers to deliver a good and safe driving experience. I have only used the off-road modes a few times as I am used to just driving accordingly, but they did work as expected and advertised when I did use them, and I hope to play with them more this summer and have an updated report on them at a later date.

The Fordpass App is pretty good from what I can see compared to other vehicle brands. Its free, and other vehicle brands charge quite a bit for their apps and they don't have even a quarter of the available functions that Ford does. The app is not without any glitches, I have only had partial luck with the Journeys function and the vehicle health reports that it will email you have never worked at all, so I have no idea what those might contain. Overall though, they are on the right path and I hope to see continued updates and improvements as time goes on.

Overall I am still completely happy with the truck and hope that things continue to go well for many many years to come!

Attachments

• DSC_3582.JPG
    DSC_3582.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_3694.JPG
    DSC_3694.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5725.JPG
    IMG_5725.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5727.JPG
    IMG_5727.JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5730.JPG
    IMG_5730.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5913.JPG
    IMG_5913.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8946.JPG
    IMG_8946.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8952.JPG
    IMG_8952.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 49
Its been one year since I picked up the new truck. I ordered my truck on February 15th, 2020, it was built on March 15th 2020 (yes, a Sunday), just days before the first flu related shutdowns occurred, and it was delivered on March 28th and came home with me. I did a 5k mile review, and this is a updated version of that review now that I have just over 11k miles, two major road trips and one year of time in the truck.

First to start off with the things that I like.

--Adaptive cruise control... best thing ever! How many times have you been going down the highway and you set the cruise control and someone passes and them pulls in front you of and slows down? Having the truck slow and speed up automatically is great.

--The surround camera system. Parking a larger vehicle in day to day parking places can be a challenge. Being able to pull up the 360 camera to see how your situated in the parking spot, how close you are to the other vehicles and such is great. The system is also nice off-road when your trying to see over the big hood when cresting a hill or negotiating obstacles off-road. We even used it to watch a bear sniff our rear bumper and to make sure he was not trying to climb in!

--Cooled seats. I was really hesitant to get leather, the cooled seats was the make or break for me. Im one of those people thats always too hot, I was afraid it was going to be too hot and sticky with the leather, but the cooling takes care of it nicely. Over the last year, any time it starts to get warm on the seat cooler goes!

--Driver memory. Being able to get the seats, telescoping / tilt steering wheel, pedals and mirrors adjusted and locked into memory, then having the wife able to do the same and just being able to push a button and everything moves to the preset position for that driver is amazing. Really nice not having to change everything every time you switch drivers.

--Keyless entry. This was something that I was not to excited about, had it been optional I might have gone with the standard old key. Now, I am glad I went with the keyless system. During both of our road trips, just having the key fob in your pocket and walking up to the vehicle and having it open and away you go without pushing unlock on the key fob or anything has been really nice. The vehicle just knows its you and unlocks and works. There are a few annoying things that I am not sure if they are limited to the keyless system, like it beeping the horn twice if you get out with the key and the truck running, but that can be addressed with Forscan. Overall, its a great system.

--LED headlights. These things are bright. Strike that, they are crazy bright! We joke about how many people are going to flash their high beams at us when we drive at night, and after driving the truck and going back to our 2001 Expedition with conventional headlights it sometimes seems like I forgot to even turn the headlights on and I find myself checking the headlight switch because the old lights now seem so dim. Added bonus, all of the lighting on the truck is LED, so power consumption is minimal compared to older filament based lighting.

Things that could use some improvement.

--The adaptive cruise control. Its great but... I will say one thing about it, my daughter has a 2019 Subaru Outback that also has the adaptive cruise control, and the Subaru system is much more refined than Fords system. The braking on the Ford is much more sudden and harsh than it has to be, and if your behind a slower vehicle and you pull out the truck wants to romp on it instead of slowly and evenly accelerating. Its still awesome, but having driven both Ford as some room for improvement.

--The gas mileage is not as good as I had hoped for, but not terrible for what it is. I know, I know, its a truck. If I was looking for gas mileage I could have purchased just about anything but this beast! Overall average mileage has been hanging out right about 13mpg. It can go higher for long highway stretches, and lower for in town driving and towing. On our second road trip we had a few hours where we were driving just about straight into a major headwind, and it went down into the low 11 range for a while. Not sure if they can improve on this or not, but running empty on the highway I hoped for better numbers. Regardless, its the fastest accelerating most powerful engine I have ever had in any vehicle I have ever owned. I hope that it lives up to its expectations for longevity and simplicity for repairs as they think it will.

--Fit and finish. There are a few minor fit and finish issues that should have been caught before delivery, given they were things that I also missed when picking the truck up only to notice later but for the factory or dealership that does this day in and day out someone along the way should have seen them. On the rear bumper, passenger side, there is a small area that did not get the full coat of paint. Most people would not notice it unless you pointed it out, but still, its there. Its not something that I would be too concerned with and I would not go back and have them try to repaint anything to fix it, might be more hassle than its worth. I have I think one or two very small rattles developing in the cab, although its so quiet that you hear everything! The heavy plastic stray in my wifes reusable drink cup makes one heck of a loud rattle as you go down the road! The "Super Duty" plastic door sill trim piece on both sides have a corner thats lifted. On the drivers side, its toward the rear and I have caught my shoe on it getting in and out of the truck multiple times so its now really bad. Its something that I will have replaced during the next oil change when it goes in, but its a little stupid thing that should not have happened in the first place.

Overall observations-

During our two road trips we did pretty much every type of driving you can do. From deep sand to highway to a major snowstorm with snow and ice covered roads, I think the only thing I have not done so far is hit a big deep mud pit. The truck handled it all with ease. During the snow storm we found ourselves driving on a highway with a 60-70 mph speed limit doing maybe 30 and the road was nowhere in sight covered by a thick layer of ice and snow. With the tires at full recommended pressure, I stomped on the brakes and gas a few times to see what would happen, and... nothing noteworthy happened. The ABS activated, the truck continued straight on and not much else for the brake test. The factory tires did a good job in the snow, I was more than pleased with their performance. I tried stomping on the gas both in normal and snow modes, it broke loose more in normal but snow mode slowed things down and ignored some of my throttle input to keep it going without spinning out. My wife and her mother took the new Ranger (purchased the same day we ordered my truck) on a road trip this last year as well. My wife drove most of the trip, and had never driven in the snow before. Once they figured out the 4x4 controls and drive modes, she too felt the computer delivered a sure footed and comfortable driving experience even for someone like herself with no snow driving experience. The computer systems are impressive these days taking much of the work away from potentially inexperienced drivers to deliver a good and safe driving experience. I have only used the off-road modes a few times as I am used to just driving accordingly, but they did work as expected and advertised when I did use them, and I hope to play with them more this summer and have an updated report on them at a later date.

The Fordpass App is pretty good from what I can see compared to other vehicle brands. Its free, and other vehicle brands charge quite a bit for their apps and they don't have even a quarter of the available functions that Ford does. The app is not without any glitches, I have only had partial luck with the Journeys function and the vehicle health reports that it will email you have never worked at all, so I have no idea what those might contain. Overall though, they are on the right path and I hope to see continued updates and improvements as time goes on.

Overall I am still completely happy with the truck and hope that things continue to go well for many many years to come!
? Great to hear! Thanks for the report!

Adaptive cruise.
I've been a Chevy truck guy through the years. That one item, adaptive cruise has caused me to move over to Ford for this next truck that I have on order. Chevy doesn't have it on their HD trucks yet. Our car a Range Rover Velar adaptive cruise has what sounds like the same characteristics as the Ford. Aggressive slow down especially if the car in front of you is taking an exit plus moving over to a clear lane from slow moving traffic it wants to stomp on it to get back up to speed.

Back