Onboard compressor recommendation

2WheelerFan

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor
I recently installed air lift bags in my 2020 Tremor because I haul a 12k lb 5th wheel occasionally, but didn’t get their compressor because I’m cheap. After using a hand pump to air up the bags a few times, I may be willing to release some funds. I’m looking for a recommendation for an air compressor, but since I’m buying one, I’d like to get one that I can use for more than just the bags. Airing up tires and maybe even air horns would be nice.

Anyone have suggestions?

I recently installed air lift bags in my 2020 Tremor because I haul a 12k lb 5th wheel occasionally, but didn’t get their compressor because I’m cheap. After using a hand pump to air up the bags a few times, I may be willing to release some funds. I’m looking for a recommendation for an air compressor, but since I’m buying one, I’d like to get one that I can use for more than just the bags. Airing up tires and maybe even air horns would be nice.

Anyone have suggestions?
ARB twin air compressor with the Dirt church industries mount. I have this setup and wouldn't hesitate if I had to do it over again.

ARB twin air compressor with the Dirt church industries mount. I have this setup and wouldn't hesitate if I had to do it over again.

Love the twin ARB. It’s soooo fast!

I've got the same ARB twin + Dirt Church setup. No complaints.

That looks like a great setup for onboard air, but how does it incorporate with air bags or an air tank so I can get air horns?

That looks like a great setup for onboard air, but how does it incorporate with air bags or an air tank so I can get air horns?
An easy way for bags would just to fill each manually as you need.

If needing both automated the easiest would be to run the airline to a tank above the spare tire or in the bed, and then run lines from the tank to the air horn and airbag controller (Pacbrake HP10325 or airlift).

With a horn, you're gonna want a tank so you have the pressure on demand.
Bags could go either way depending on how quickly you want them to respond - Full air ride you want pretty quick. Load helpers can take a sec.

That's a nice kit, but $659.95???? That's a lot of money for a few brackets and hoses.

That's a nice kit, but $659.95???? That's a lot of money for a few brackets and hoses.
Then get the $144 bracket only kit (compressor/jack relocation/couplers) and buy everything else separate.

+Wiring
+Crimping tool (I didn't have one large enough)
+Fuse block
+Quick connects
+Zipties ( :p )

Joking a bit with the last one, but he really did include everything you need in the kit, zipties, tape, connectors, 3M adhesive pads, etc...

For me I liked the location, the thought that went into the implementation, and the completeness of the kit. That saved me a bunch of time...

Considering Dirt Church is in this to make a profit I don't think the price is that unreasonable.

@BroncoHooves, does this kit come with the ARB compressor, or is that separate so you'd be in the setup for about $1200?

@BroncoHooves, does this kit come with the ARB compressor, or is that separate so you'd be in the setup for about $1200?
It does not. That is the cost for all the components you need to mount, plumb, and wire. The compressor itself is a separate purchase.

ive had really good luck with the Dewalt 20v compressor. The airbags have such low volume that its only 10 seconds or so to inflate to 65psi.

Ill likely go to an onboard air compressor at some point but for $120 this unit has treated me well.

I too have ARB Twin and Air Lift WirelessAir 7400EZ installed for the airbags. However, if the ARB is more than you want to spend, I would look at Viair portable compressors.

Just did this project recently, went with the ARB twin compressor and Viar 2.5 gallon tank. ARB compressor is mounted above the spare tire and the tank is mounted just in front of the spare. Air horns are mounted in the space in front of the fuel tank.

Compressor is mounted the same as @Disownedpenny (LINK). Tank is mounted the same as @jasoncw posted (Post #248). I have two QD couplings mounted similarly to what @Mike Alcocer did (HERE).

For the air horns, I used the limitless harness and an upfitter switch. For mounting, I used some 2" x 1.8 THK aluminum stock, couple 3" x 4" u-bolts to mount them in front of the fuel tank. The bar stock has 45-ish degree bend that points the air horns downwards. Fits nicely in this location, I went with the Vixen triple (Ebay Link) since they were a little bit smaller. IMO, these are loud enough to serve my purpose. Overall I'm happy with the install as everything is tucked up nicely and nothing other than the couplings are visible.

Just did this project recently, went with the ARB twin compressor and Viar 2.5 gallon tank. ARB compressor is mounted above the spare tire and the tank is mounted just in front of the spare. Air horns are mounted in the space in front of the fuel tank.

Compressor is mounted the same as @Disownedpenny (LINK). Tank is mounted the same as @jasoncw posted (Post #248). I have two QD couplings mounted similarly to what @Mike Alcocer did (HERE).

For the air horns, I used the limitless harness and an upfitter switch. For mounting, I used some 2" x 1.8 THK aluminum stock, couple 3" x 4" u-bolts to mount them in front of the fuel tank. The bar stock has 45-ish degree bend that points the air horns downwards. Fits nicely in this location, I went with the Vixen triple (Ebay Link) since they were a little bit smaller. IMO, these are loud enough to serve my purpose. Overall I'm happy with the install as everything is tucked up nicely and nothing other than the couplings are visible.
That’s exactly how I want to do it. Do you think I could squeeze a 5 gallon tank in there. ? Do I happen to have any pics of install?

I have the ARB compressor with a Viair 2.5 Gallon tank. It's plenty of tank volume if you ask me. Not sure why you would need 5 gallons?

Hey Oak, ive been looking at doing this myself, but i still have some questions. Did you run two separate airlines? One to the tank for the horns and one to the chuck for tire fill up or is everything funneled through the tank? If it is all funneled through the tank how do you have your pressure regulator setup to stop the ARB from overfilling the tank?

Hey Oak, ive been looking at doing this myself, but i still have some questions. Did you run two separate airlines? One to the tank for the horns and one to the chuck for tire fill up or is everything funneled through the tank? If it is all funneled through the tank how do you have your pressure regulator setup to stop the ARB from overfilling the tank?
I know you didn’t ask me, but I figure having too much information isn’t bad. I have an ARB tank. I ran my ARB twin to the tank and everything out of the tank to my fittings. The ARB has a built in regulator at 150 psi. If your tank can handle that PSI, then you are golden, if not, you would need a pressure regulator between the compressor and tank. ARB also has a pressure control system that runs from your mobile where you can more accurately control pressure for tires, airbags etc.

That’s exactly how I want to do it. Do you think I could squeeze a 5 gallon tank in there. ? Do I happen to have any pics of install?
I did not take any pictures but its no problem for me to drop the spare and take some this weekend. If you have some rough dimensions of the 5 gal tank you're thinking about, I can guesstimate, but my gut is telling me no.

My set up is similar to as @KH_2021Tremor described. ARB compressor ran to the tank. The ARB compressor has a built in pressure switch that from what I remember turns off the compressor at 150 PSI and then starts back up at 135 psi. The Viar tank has 6, 1/4" NPT ports. One port I used for air in from the compressor. Each coupling is off its own port. I installed a 175 psi relief valve, a drain, and then one port goes to my air horn.

Back