On-board air

Whyte Rhyno

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
Current Ride #2
1974 F250 Highboy
So I think I've figured out how I'll go about getting an on-board air system installed. Been going back and forth on where to mount things (in the bed vs under the truck vs in the tool box vs in the cab), how to mount (home made stuff vs off the shelf universal gear), and where to run everything. Wanted to get everyone's input. I think I'm going with the Kleinn air system sans air horns. It's got a single 100% duty cycle compressor and a 3 gallon tank that mounts above the spare tire. Seems like a clean and tidy installation. I don't like that the compressor is made in Chinastan but at some point I could always swap it for a twin ARB made in Australia. Then I was thinking about adding a wireless air bag controller from Pacbrake (Made in Canada) to run airbags via a phone app when I get those installed later. The system has dual path control which I like. I'll run power straight to the battery and run the pressure switch/relay from the #6 Upfitter. Remote air line will be either drilled into the rear bumper to the right of the license plate or using one of the holes on the hitch frame.

https://kleinn.com/product/onboard-air-horn-system-for-2017-2018-ford-f-250-f-350/

https://pacbrake.com/product/hp10316-amp-wireless-air-spring-controls/

I am in a similar mode. I am going to mount an ARB single under the hood (7.3 has room) wired direct to an upfitter and air lines out the back. The compressor has a pressure switch on it and, while limited capacity, it’s been insanely reliable and plenty useful in my other rig.

Cool. I thought about mounting one in the engine bay but the 6.7 makes things a bit tight. There is some space near the brake booster but not a lot. I never considered the single ARB due to duty cycle but good to hear you've had positive experience with it. I'll run the pump that comes with the Kleinn kit until it dies. Then maybe rig up an ARB later. Their wiring looms seem super complicated though. I know they include wires for manifolds and other things but I'm wondering if the harness can be dissected down to just power, relay, and ground.

Yeah, It's one of those things. I use my onboard air for airing up tires (truck itself, bikes, UTV's, etc). I think duty cycle is one of those things where people freak out. I use the s*$# out of mine in all sorts of conditions for 5 years now. It's bombproof and just fine for my needs (YMMV)

Yeah, It's one of those things. I use my onboard air for airing up tires (truck itself, bikes, UTV's, etc). I think duty cycle is one of those things where people freak out. I use the s*$# out of mine in all sorts of conditions for 5 years now. It's bombproof and just fine for my needs (YMMV)
solid thanks. I won't entirely rule out the single. It'll fit better that's for sure

Curious what you ended up doing for onboard air? And how You rigged it?
I went the Klein onboard air system. it’s their base air system that comes with their air horn kits as well. It’s got a 100% duty cycle compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. All brackets and hardware are included. It also came with a tire inflation kit. I’ve been meaning to post pictures since I installed it but I’ve been preoccupied. I’ll try to get some this weekend.

Cool. I thought about mounting one in the engine bay but the 6.7 makes things a bit tight. There is some space near the brake booster but not a lot. I never considered the single ARB due to duty cycle but good to hear you've had positive experience with it. I'll run the pump that comes with the Kleinn kit until it dies. Then maybe rig up an ARB later. Their wiring looms seem super complicated though. I know they include wires for manifolds and other things but I'm wondering if the harness can be dissected down to just power, relay, and ground.

I actually import gas compression devices from China for different applications and that little compressor will do a fine job... If you care about "Made in XXX" then don't buy it in the first place...

I got the Viair 485c dual kit all installed under the spare tire and wired to an upfitter switch

20200923_121523_resized.jpg

20200923_121544_resized.jpg

20200923_121657_resized.jpg

20200923_151755_resized.jpg

20200923_152121_resized.jpg

20200923_162324_resized.jpg

20200923_162327_resized.jpg

20200923_162331_resized.jpg

That's an awesome setup.. What did that set you back including install? Do you have a quick release line in your bed somewhere for the hose to connect?

The connection is under the bed close to the gas tank door.

IMG_5167.JPG

The kit was $729, with shipping and tax $840. Labor was about $500.

I also got a couple of these brackets, total $60:

So $1400 I guess! I like to not think about this too much.

I am super impressed with that Viair under the spare setup! Although some members have done great work installing systems outside the frame rails, this just seems so much cleaner and tucked away. I really like it. I assume your spare fit right back in, all the way up like it did before?

I am super impressed with that Viair under the spare setup! Although some members have done great work installing systems outside the frame rails, this just seems so much cleaner and tucked away. I really like it. I assume your spare fit right back in, all the way up like it did before?

Yes, it fit just fine. The mechanic even said I could get a Carli trophy hitch (one day, if I wanted) and put a 37" spare under there, and it wouldn't be a problem.

At first, they wanted to put it in the big hole in front of the gas tank, but I asked them not to in case I want to get a titan XL tank (or similar) down the line.

Yes, it fit just fine. The mechanic even said I could get a Carli trophy hitch (one day, if I wanted) and put a 37" spare under there, and it wouldn't be a problem.

At first, they wanted to put it in the big hole in front of the gas tank, but I asked them not to in case I want to get a titan XL tank (or similar) down the line.
Nice! I'd actually like to install both the larger tank and the onboard air at the same time!

The connection is under the bed close to the gas tank door.

View attachment 6098

The kit was $729, with shipping and tax $840. Labor was about $500.

I also got a couple of these brackets, total $60:

So $1400 I guess! I like to not think about this too much.
You got a great price on the labor!
49789392-00CE-4DC3-9A68-F035870415A7.jpeg

Looks like a clean install. I like how it’s all under the truck and tucked out of the way. How are you liking the performance of this system. Trying to decide between the viair and the arb dual compressor

Latest Discussions

Back