Omitting Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System

Alpoba

Alpoba
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Basic question is, if this ultimate camera system is not packaged, which cameras are still included with the truck? Is back up rear camera still included?

I also understand that CHMSL camera can be added separately for $200.

i just don’t see the point of adding all that super low resolution 360 stuff for so much money which i’ll likely never want to use anyways.

Yes, backup cam included. Bed cam is standalone option. Im with you on the 360 cams, Id rather be comfortable with my trucks size without relying on cams. I also dont trust the blind spot monitor either, just ignore it mostly and use mirrors...now the power extending mirrors are very nice while towing.

Yes, backup cam included. Bed cam is standalone option. Im with you on the 360 cams, Id rather be comfortable with my trucks size without relying on cams. I also dont trust the blind spot monitor either, just ignore it mostly and use mirrors...now the power extending mirrors are very nice while towing.
I’ve seen so many reviews lately, especially on 2022’ and everyone is baffled by the low resolution / pixelated quality our of that expensive camera system. And the more i look at those reviews the more i think - why do i even need that, to pay 1700$ and be just as frustrated as the reviewers. So if the backup camera is included anyways then i’m all good omitting the option and saving some cash.

just to confirm, the power is extending mirrors have nothing to do with the ultimate cam option, right?:)

I’ve seen so many reviews lately, especially on 2022’ and everyone is baffled by the low resolution / pixelated quality our of that expensive camera system. And the more i look at those reviews the more i think - why do i even need that, to pay 1700$ and be just as frustrated as the reviewers. So if the backup camera is included anyways then i’m all good omitting the option and saving some cash.

just to confirm, the power is extending mirrors have nothing to do with the ultimate cam option, right?:)
Correct, the power mirrors have nothing to do with the camera package. I only have the backup camera and the emergency braking camera(rain sensing wiper camera), and I have the full power mirrors.

To your question, I’m not sure you can get the front facing camera without the 360 system but I think you can still get backup (federally mandated, I believe) and CHMSL (extra charge). The 360 system has cameras under the mirrors but you don’t get direct access to those.

FWIW, the 360 cameras are super useful. I probably use the front facing camera 70% of what I use the backup camera. The top-down view on the 360 system is really helpful in parking lots with concrete bollards. You also can’t add it in later if you decide you want it. Just thought I’d register my opinion 🙂. Good luck with your purchase!

To your question, I’m not sure you can get the front facing camera without the 360 system but I think you can still get backup (federally mandated, I believe) and CHMSL (extra charge). The 360 system has cameras under the mirrors but you don’t get direct access to those.

FWIW, the 360 cameras are super useful. I probably use the front facing camera 70% of what I use the backup camera. The top-down view on the 360 system is really helpful in parking lots with concrete bollards. You also can’t add it in later if you decide you want it. Just thought I’d register my opinion 🙂. Good luck with your purchase!
Thanks for your feedback, it does help me understand what the system actually provides vs omitting it. I did not think about front facing camera at all.

What are your thoughts on the low resolution? I wonder if the late complaints i’ve been seeing are from the late 2022 models and maybe somehow related to chip/module/component shortage or it has been like that on early models as well.

Confirming what others have said:
  • Backup camera comes with all trucks as it’s mandated by law that all new vehicles have one.
  • Camera above the bed can be ordered separately.
  • Cameras that come with UTT are: front, one in each mirror, above the bed.
  • Practically speaking they’re impossible to add later.
  • The front camera is ridiculously useful. If you do anything OffRoad remember that it will help greatly there, e.g. when cresting a hill and all you can see otherwise is hood and sky.
From a picture quality standpoint, to me it’s plenty useable. It’s lower quality than it should be for the price, but at the end of the day it’s good enough to let you see the wall, obstacle or vehicle you don’t want to hit. I have zero regrets getting the package with my 22MY (picked it up a week and a half ago), and I only got UTT for the cameras.

Should also add, as comfortable as I am with gauging the size of my vehicle, there’s simply no way I could be as good as the cameras. Sure I can easily get within a foot of another vehicle off the passenger front corner, and carefully within 6 inches. With the cameras I can get within an inch.

Ditto for straight on in the front.

The side cameras are probably the least useful because mirrors exist, but don’t hurt anything. The front camera truly is the winner in the package IMO.

I had the 360 system on my F150 it was awesome. Like others have said the front camera and overhead views come in handy parking (staying in the lines, etc.). I do not have it in the Tremor. I don't really miss the system and only used the UTT once to mess around with it, but like I said before the 360 cameras are awesome and definitely useful.

My opinion only: Yes, the 360 cameras are not ultra high-def, but I use them EVERY DAY when parking. Plenty sufficient for that purpose. After all, I'm not trying to watch a ballgame--I'm just trying to make sure I'm centered in a parking space or don't back off the elevated concrete slab where I park at home.

If I were going to order again, I would still get the 360 cameras--even if I had no plans of using the UTT. Again, my opinion only.

I kind of regret not getting the 360 cameras. But it was $1700 and I was thinking would I really use the UTT. My 22 Lariat Value F350 is scheduled for production week of Oct 18th, too late now. I read a lot of reviews that the resolution sucks for such an expensive truck. In addition, the long term reliability of the system comes into play as well.

Sure they aren't 4k greatness but I don't need that either as much as the inner geek in me would like it. I use my front camera nearly as much as my rear. I also like being able to put the camera on while driving to check my load when needed. I did just fine without it but that was before I had it and realized how convenient it really is. Make fun of me for my hands being softer with it, but that is ok with me.

I love the birds eye view when backing. It's incredibly accurate even if the picture quality is marginal. I'm accustomed to backing with mirrors but the birds eye camera view is now a standard part of my backing routine.

Thanks for your feedback, it does help me understand what the system actually provides vs omitting it. I did not think about front facing camera at all.

What are your thoughts on the low resolution? I wonder if the late complaints i’ve been seeing are from the late 2022 models and maybe somehow related to chip/module/component shortage or it has been like that on early models as well.

If you find you want to add a front camera or multiple cameras to the factory screen you can add one of these later. It also does HDMI which opens up alot of possibilities. They are about $400 for the module plus whatever cameras/inputs you want to add.

I got them just for the cameras ans i think its totally worth it. I use it all the time parking front facing or rear depending on the spot. They also work great at just being aware of your surroundings.

If you find you want to add a front camera or multiple cameras to the factory screen you can add one of these later. It also does HDMI which opens up alot of possibilities. They are about $400 for the module plus whatever cameras/inputs you want to add.

Just noting that 22+ have sync 4 and the system needed might not be out yet.

Hmmmm… To be honest, I’ve never really thought about the resolution of the cameras. I guess, objectively, they are a bit grainy for 2020 (when I purchased). I had just spent the prior few years working with commercial Ford trucks (nothing higher than XLT) so everything looked high end to me 🙂. Could be that the processors running Sync 3 weren’t capable of splicing together high resolution video?

Back