Oil Filter Construction Cutaway Comparison - OEM FL-820S vs Others

SManZ

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Tremor XLT 7.3L
I've been doing a bit of research on oil filters and found an interesting oil filter cutaway comparison document, attached as a PDF to this post. I just did a change with a Mobil1 M1-210A filter and have another one on hand. I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

Keep in mind that this is a Ford/Motorcraft document. Filter media type and filtering capabilities/efficiency are noticeably absent. The number of pleats and height of the filter media give you a rough comparison for the amount of media in a filter, but that is just half of it. They also seem to be really proud of having more flutes on the filter case. My filter wrench has never cared. I'm not sure when it was published, but it was back when you could get Motor Trend branded filters, so mid-late-2000s. I'm sure at least some of these filters have changed since then. The FL-820S I pulled off my truck didn't have 50 flutes!

Attachments

• Oil_Filter_Cut-Away_Comparison_Kit.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 314
I've been doing a bit of research on oil filters and found an interesting oil filter cutaway comparison document, attached as a PDF to this post. I just did a change with a Mobil1 M1-210A filter and have another one on hand. I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

Keep in mind that this is a Ford/Motorcraft document. Filter media type and filtering capabilities/efficiency are noticeably absent. The number of pleats and height of the filter media give you a rough comparison for the amount of media in a filter, but that is just half of it. They also seem to be really proud of having more flutes on the filter case. My filter wrench has never cared. I'm not sure when it was published, but it was back when you could get Motor Trend branded filters, so mid-late-2000s. I'm sure at least some of these filters have changed since then. The FL-820S I pulled off my truck didn't have 50 flutes!
More flutes mean more better filter capability.

Thanks for the post though, interesting to see the partial comparison by Ford nonetheless.

Good research!
I plan to use all Ford OEM filters at least through the warranty period. This is not saying other filters are not adequate or possibly even better which they could be IDK?
I just don‘t want Ford to have ANY leverage IF I had an issue with a using an aftermarket filter during my warranty period.

Ford filters are built for there engine and they are affordable and not $50 for a filter that say it better .... Don't see the need also I change my oil every 5k to 7.5k miles in the diesel and my gas vehicle every 3k miles I don't really get the full use of the filter ... Yea maybe I am wasting money but my Jeep have 434k miles on it doing this when I got it with 130k miles and it still runs great but to be far the 4.0l inline 6 is bulletproof

Sort of.

More filter pleats means more filter media. Lots of pleats and crap media dont make a good filter.

More flutes mean more better filter capability.

Thanks for the post though, interesting to see the partial comparison by Ford nonetheless.

Sort of.

More filter pleats means more filter media. Lots of pleats and crap media dont make a good filter.
I was making fun of Ford's hyping up of the flutes outside the oil filter, not the internal pleats. No worries brah.

By the way, some of those seem comparable to the Motorcraft. Well I didn't read until now but the doc is considerably old. Newer revision out somewhere?

I have heard the motorcraft filters are prone to tearing at the seam... but whatever, that is the oem filter and they cant complain about it if there is an engine warranty claim.

The 820S is the same filter for my GT500. Been using it for the last 7 years no issues, Walmart has em at a good price too, so works for me!

I was making fun of Ford's hyping up of the flutes outside the oil filter, not the internal pleats. No worries brah.

By the way, some of those seem comparable to the Motorcraft. Well I didn't read until now but the doc is considerably old. Newer revision out somewhere?

Aw man, sorry. They are definitely proud of the old flutes. And you're right, the filters towards the end of the document are similar in having the bypass valve by the threads instead of the dome. I'll do some digging and see if I can find a newer publication.

Great find, I just did the first oil change and the OEM filter that came on the truck was not labeled as the FL-820S.
2BA0B535-0AE1-45FD-9644-8F85966E9D45.jpeg
I ended up getting the Ford Motorcraft FL-820S from the dealer since my normal Wix choice was not available in town in time for me to make my next long trip. Cost wise really liking the Motorcraft filter price of $5.99, vs the almost $15 for the Wix. The OEM seems to get pretty positive reviews, may still switch to Wix next time but not sure.

Great find, I just did the first oil change and the OEM filter that came on the truck was not labeled as the FL-820S.
View attachment 9628
I ended up getting the Ford Motorcraft FL-820S from the dealer since my normal Wix choice was not available in town in time for me to make my next long trip. Cost wise really liking the Motorcraft filter price of $5.99, vs the almost $15 for the Wix. The OEM seems to get pretty positive reviews, may still switch to Wix next time but not sure.
Weird...why a different oil filter vs the one Ford OEM recommends or uses? First oil filter different???

Weird...why a different oil filter vs the one Ford OEM recommends or uses? First oil filter different???
I was a little concerned initially when first noticed the numbers difference. Double checked the owners manual and it called for the FL-820-S, other than the ribs on the bottom of the filter and shape or the oil inlet ports looked the same to me.

I wonder if Ford had to use a different filter supplier for a bit on new engines while the whole shutdown thing was going on. My tuck was ordered just before the shutdown, and built a few months after reopening.

I was a little concerned initially when first noticed the numbers difference. Double checked the owners manual and it called for the FL-820-S, other than the ribs on the bottom of the filter and shape or the oil inlet ports looked the same to me.

I wonder if Ford had to use a different filter supplier for a bit on new engines while the whole shutdown thing was going on. My tuck was ordered just before the shutdown, and built a few months after reopening.
It's probably the same filter. Ford just gets them in bulk before they go and get painted and put in colorful boxes for commercial retail.

It's probably the same filter. Ford just gets them in bulk before they go and get painted and put in colorful boxes for commercial retail.
It was slightly different. There’s less flutes on the one I pulled off vs FL-820-S and the inlet ports were round vs oval ones on the FL-820-S. I should have taken a picture before installing it to show a better comparison.

Back