Oil change intervals & what oil

I am in amazement the money thrown away on oil changes using full synthetic oils. I have seen nobody put up any supporting evidence why synthetic oil has failed beyond 10k or sooner.
What I do know is the gas motor cant be anywear near as hard on oil as a HUEI injected diesel motor, the 6.0 mainly. Powerstroke 6.0 would make the oil fail do to "shear" My 04 excursion has 378k on it original injectors. 40K oil changes! primary filter gets changed at 10k Bypass swapped with the oil. Also ran a 06 F350 haul truck no bypass oil change every 10k no issues with shear or soot. all this confirmed with blackstone.

Had my first oil change and tire rotation done on the 7.3 today. Little longer than originally planned but ended up out of town this week unexpectedly.

7409.7 miles on the odometer/factory oil.
Had them go back with motorcraft 5w-30 semisynthetic and motorcraft filter.

1,400 miles towing a 7k lb camper
800 miles with 2k lbs in the bed
Couple hundred miles with light trailers
Balance = mix of city/hwy driving
Daily commute is 3miles all city ;-(

Had them pull a sample for Blackstone labs. Will post results when I get them.

Motorcraft filter with Amsoil every 5000-7000 miles , will be doing the trans at around 20k-25k and diffs

Here’s what I do, every 5k motor craft 5w30 oil and motor craft fl820 s filter, change every 5k. Every other oil change, rotate the tires, grease the front zerks on the axle u joints and turn the hub from auto to lock and back to auto to keep them from freezing. Every 20k, I change the air filter with Napa gold. You can buy the motor craft oil at OK Petroleum by the case for around $60, and rock auto runs a deal on the oil filters. No need for anything fancy, I have ran squad cars until 200k for 2 decades now using these oil change intervals and motor craft oil and filters.

I can tell you the whole 1k change is no longer a thing. I drove up to my dealer to get mine done at 1k, they talked to me for a while as nobody else was in there that day...they explained that this was only a issue back when they put certain oil in engines to ship them, process the vehicle, etc...it was basically filler and was just for this purpose...now they run the engines and break them in at the factory and they put the same factory oil you would get if you have the dealership change the oil. So the whole breakin period oil thing has been a non issue for quiet a while.

I have done the 5k miles tires and oil on my last truck and my jeep as well and both were kept till like 180k without a single engine issue or repair. I did use Valvoline full synthetic and the napa gold filters that are Wix filters. So I plan on doin the same with my Tremor. Im at 5100 miles right now so probably will rotate tires and change the oil soon.
I did my first oil and filter at 500 miles like I did on every vehicle I have ever owned. I held the drain pan so the sunlight would shine upon the used oil. I saw swirls of metallic particles in the oil. I don't like that at all. Not actually sure it hurts anything in the long run by extending the mileage before the first service , but I feel better getting that ugly oil out of there right away. The "pretty metal rainbows" are never as bad in the future oil changes as they are in the initial service.

I typically do 5K mile OCI's, but Blackstone Labs says I can go further. I like to change oil twice per year, before winter, and again in late spring. That equates to approx 5K mile OCI's, so that's what I do.

I have read some "experts" say the oil can go longer than the filter. They suggested something like 10K miles for the oil and changing out the filter only every 5K to get the max life out of the oil. So my next project will be to cut a filter apart at 5K miles to inspect the condition of the filter media and go from there.

Regardless of miles I change my oil every 6 months. You never know what can get into the oil from the gas now days.

Regardless of miles I change my oil every 6 months. You never know what can get into the oil from the gas now days.
That’s a valid point, I’ve read on the chevron fuel injector cleaner, it says not to run it more than twice during an oil change cycle. They mention to run it shortly before an oil change. So you make a valid point, detergents in certain fuels will effect oil.

good post!

Figured I'd drop this in here in case there was anyone out there that was still curious about 9000+ mile oil changes. Sent a sample out to Blackstone and here are the results. I've run Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 with the matching Mobil 1 EP filter since the 1st oil change (except for that one time I had to settle for a Fram filter, never again). Average oil change has been at 9,500 miles. I put about 2700 miles a month on this truck so the oil changes happen every 3-4 months (do it myself, that way there's only me to blame). A lot of the mileage is highway @ 75mph with a solid chunk of it being offroad (caliche roads, hunting grounds, etc.) I do my best to keep the idle time minimal, although it gets pretty hot down here so I'd say the lifetime average on the engine hours has probably around 15% idle time. The oil and filter are pretty cheap when I get it from Walmart. Hope this helps!
Oil Analysis.png

Last edited:
We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
First oil change at 3k then amsoil filter and signature series oil every 10k getting ready for the 3rd oil change.

Back