Oil change intervals & what oil

If you're not driving a diesel, you're using full synthetic oil, and you're not towing/hauling frequently, then 5K oil changes is excessive. But, the only thing it'll really hurt is your wallet. Under those conditions, there's really no reason for that oil to be "used up" at <10K miles. As for the oil life calculator, I would tend to defer to the what the manual says. I haven't read it for oil change requirements, but I'm guess it has a "this or that, whichever comes first" statement. If you're towing a lot, that would qualify as "severe" duty, at which point you might change it at 5K, but the oil life calculator will also help account for that, so it's really 6 or 1/2 dozen as far as I'm concerned.

This is one area where a gasoline engine offers ownership convenience over a diesel. Modern gas engines (when used with full synthetic oil) are pretty forgiving about oil change intervals, but sooted-up oil is a great way to kill an otherwise-bulletproof diesel engine (or turbo), so if I had one of those, I'd change the oil every 5K religiously.

-SR-

I’m pretty sure it’s not mileage related, but engine hours.
My understanding based on Ford techs on YouTube is that one engine hour is considered equivalent to 30 miles. Oil changes (and all other mileage-based servicing) should be based on whichever produces the greater mileage - hours*30 or odometer.

Looking at the owner's manual, all of the intervals state the mileage or engine hours to perform service at, whichever comes first. The vast majority of them work out to 1 hour equals 25 miles.

So the dealership should be doing it based on your usage of your truck. If your truck spends a lot of time idling, then basing oil changes on engine hours makes sense. But for most people mileage makes sense.

I changed my first oil on every new vehicle gas and diesel at about 3500 k miles. At mostly highway myself I run about 6500 miles. I'm in a diesel and run Rotells or Delvac. Any quality oil will suffice. I keep mine a long time so. My excursion is 22 years in a few months, and all my vehicles have been way over 150 k.

I have a 2022 with 8,000 miles. My first change was at 2,000. Continued to 8,000 for my next so far so good. Love the truck !
I’m at 5,775 miles now and showing 50% oil life left

We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
A little less than every 5k miles to stay under warranty. And for the same reason, whatever oil the Ford dealer puts in it. After warranty, that'll all change.

A little less than every 5k miles to stay under warranty. And for the same reason, whatever oil the Ford dealer puts in it. After warranty, that'll all change.
Asked the service department about oil life & when you have it changed & was told I don’t fit the severe oil change & to just go by the oil life gauge

I've decide that I will change oil and filter once a week with dealer purchased Motorcraft products flown to the Vatican, personally blessed by the Pope, and then flown back to me. It's the only way to be 100% sure that you're caring for your Tremor. You guys doing anything less than that are taking chances on engine failure.

I've decide that I will change oil and filter once a week with dealer purchased Motorcraft products flown to the Vatican, personally blessed by the Pope, and then flown back to me. It's the only way to be 100% sure that you're caring for your Tremor. You guys doing anything less than that are taking chances on engine failure.
So, what are us non-Catholics supposed to do?

We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
That's your break in oil change dump it now.

First oil change at 1000 miles with Motorcraft synthetic blend & filter to eliminate warranty issues. So glad since the truck has 4200 miles and it's getting a new 7.3 after an engine failure. I'm sure if they saw an aftermarket filter I'd be fighting them instead of smooth dealings so far...
My belief is that the engine lost oil pressure.
Lost oil pressure? Pump failed? What happened?

I realize this thread is about engine oil change intervals, but the same discussion can be had about all fluid change intervals.

FordTechmakuloco did a good video on the subject and from his experience working exclusively on Ford's you don't want to follow Ford's recommended intervals. All the manufacturers are trying to show low cost of ownership for marketing and pushing out intervals is a way to do that. I would agree that 5k miles for engine oil if you're running a good full synthetic is likely a tad excessive, I feel it's somewhere between there and the recommended interval.

Ford have had disasters with saying some things don't need frequent oil changes, look up the PTU failures that plague the Edge and other Ford 4wd SUVs. The fluid gets cooked in those units due to its small capacity and proximity to the exhaust and it takes them out.

Anyways good video here in my opinion

Anyone using ultra platinum 5w30? Fordbossme is a fan and I see great stuff about it everywhere. It’s required for my hemi. Thought I’d try it for my 7.3 but it doesn’t list the ford spec, does the amd oil that people use? It has api sp spec and is a better oil than regular platinum so
Not sure why it wouldn’t meet the ford WSS-M2C961-A1

I still like the Ford synthetic blend at Walmart. It's ford's blend....its an ok price...win win

I still like the Ford synthetic blend at Walmart. It's ford's blend....its an ok price...win win
I bought that it’s the same price as the Penzoil ultra so thought I’d try it now worried it doesn’t meet the spec but not sure why

I still like the Ford synthetic blend at Walmart. It's ford's blend....its an ok

I bought that it’s the same price as the Penzoil ultra so thought I’d try it now worried it doesn’t meet the spec but not sure why
Standard Mobil 1 meets the Ford specs stated in our manual but none of the other blends do.

Standard Mobil 1 meets the Ford specs stated in our manual but none of the other blends do.
Ultra is a full synthetic. Thought the Mobil one was full as well

Latest Discussions

Back