Oil change intervals & what oil

TJ Carr

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??

I can't offer anything specific to that rig as I don't have mine yet, don't know what oil is specified for it, nor the specified interval. However, if it were my truck, I would have changed the oil by now. I'm not sure if it's necessary or not, but in my mind it's sensible to change the oil a couple time early in the vehicle life before you settle in on the X,XXX mile interval. This may or may not make sense to some, but it does to me on the vehicles I purchase new.

I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. Dealership did the first with synthetic blend, I will be switching to Mobile 1 full synthetic at the next oil change. Currently at 9,7XX miles.

This is a subject people are passionate about. I try to change the oil as soon after the notice pops up, use a Motorcraft filter, and Mobile 1 full synthetic. Why? Motorcraft is essentially the OEM filter and Mobile 1 is everywhere. The choice was that simple.

I change the oil and rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. Dealership did the first with synthetic blend, I will be switching to Mobile 1 full synthetic at the next oil change. Currently at 9,7XX miles.
I used to use mobile 1 till I saw project farms video on different oil brands... Mobile 1 finished last in about every category

Not for everyone but I use a Motorcraft filter and Amsoil. Been using Amsoil in my oil burners for about 35 years now.

I change mine the first time as close to 1k as I can get then whenever the change oil notification comes up. $$$$'s for oil is of no concern to me. It is about the best protection I can get.

Last edited:
I did Ford Semi after 5k then Redline Full every 10-15k miles after 10k miles.
Basically running semi for 10k break in miles.

1st change at 3000, then every 7500 with the dealer semisynthetic.

Changed at 1000 miles after break-in, next at 5000 miles, and will be changing every 5000 miles after that regardless of what the truck says for oil life. Only exception would be if the truck determines it needs an oil change earlier than that. Almost guaranteed it's more frequent than it needs, but it keeps it simple for tracking purposes and ensures I'm not going too long without an oil change.

Using Motorcraft 5w-30 full synthetic. Again, keeps it simple. Available at all Ford dealerships so I can either change the oil myself or have the dealership do it. But higher quality than the normal synthetic blend.

I used to use mobile 1 till I saw project farms video on different oil brands... Mobile 1 finished last in about every category

His is a seat of the pants testing that looks good but is it actually scientific and fact

Changed at 1000 miles after break-in, next at 5000 miles, and will be changing every 5000 miles after that regardless of what the truck says for oil life.

I plan to do the same when I get my truck. I’ll run the factory recommend synthetic blend until 5,000 miles, then switch to full synthetic, most likely Mobil1 and Mobil1 or Wix filters.

No way would I run my vehicles 7,500-10,000 miles between oil changes. I know a lot of folks do, and that’s cool, rock on with it, but that’s just not for me.

We have 4,650 miles on the 7.3L with about 75% highway miles and 55% remaining oil life

This is the same oil/filter that came on the truck, it has never been changed

How many people change oil when you oil life is at 5% or less Vs miles

What oil& filter do u use??
Every time I get a new truck I change at 2,500 then again at 5,000. After that, every 5,000 full synthetic

I plan on changing initially at 5k and 10k miles each with motorcraft 820-s filters and M1 extended performance 5W-30. For a sanity check and to take out the guesswork I’ll send a sample from each change to Blackstone Labs for analysis and use real quantitative results to better dial in oil change intervals. I expect higher wear metals for the first OCI and to achieve a proper baseline by the second OCI. I’ll then plan for a UOA every 30-40k miles thereafter to monitor the health of the motor and reference my numbers against universal averages.

Higher frequency OCI’s are “cheap” insurance but if you’re leaving potentially thousands of extra miles per change interval on the table, that adds up to a non-trivial amount over the lifetime of the vehicle. Mass spectrometry is far more accurate at judging an oils’ useful service life than gut feel or eyeballing it, just my 2¢

His is a seat of the pants testing that looks good but is it actually scientific and fact
Well he does a lot of testing on a lot of different oils. Idk what you mean by seat of the pants

I use motorcraft oil and filters. Cheaper and change every 5k.

So almost nobody follows Ford’s recommendations
Ford does recommend every 5K miles for “severe service operations” on the 7.3L. Which is going to be most Tremor usage, towing, off-roading, dusty conditions, words. I have been using the Motorcraft filters and Mobile 1 full synthetic every 5K. Going to have to look up this project farms stuff since the Mobile 1 has done well in lab testing I have read.

Check out "bobistheoilguy" on the net, click on "home" not forums. Lots of great info there.

Bobistheoilguy forum is a wealth of information and knowledge. Fwiw I have always done oil analysis on every oil change. It’s $30 worth of insurance. This is what lead to me doing a full delete years ago on my 6.4 when I started seeing oil/fuel dilution.

Back