Oil aka life blood of the 6.7 diesel Beast what’s your oil preference?

I'll be changing my oil soon for the first time somewhere around 5k miles. I will be putting in Schaeffer's 722 SynShield™ Ultra Performance SAE 10W-30 oil with a Motorcraft filter. Everything I could find suggested that the factory filter is very high quality. I also will be pulling an oil sample to get a good baseline and start the "file" on it.

I really liked this article https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-2/ explaining the oil samples and how they're checked.

Also, as for the Schaeffer's oil, they sell it in 5 gallon buckets (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WYRF81/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7SNNHWZSQKXSXSK6W1PW?psc=1) and this helps bring down the cost significantly, and they'll mail it. I really like thats its a family owned US based business and they have a stellar reputation for it being a quality product.

For me I run Dello 400 15-40 but that’s from working on CAT equipment for 20 plus years and you should never run your Diesel past 4K oil change unless you were driving a over the road Diesel you build up to much soot in your oil because of the low sulfur Diesel. The oil becomes to gritty and that’s how you eat up turbo bearings.
Have you tried Delo-600? It's supposed to be great for newer engines with DPF systems. I was a fire apparatus mechanic for many years and Delo 400 has always been a great oil for Caterpillar and Cummins engines.

I'm confused.

I went to my local Ford dealer to price the Motorcraft synthetic oil that is recommended for the 6.7. The bottle that the parts guy put on the counter was labeled WSS-M2C171-F1. It is available there for $12 a quart. That felt to me like way too much money, so I left without it.

If I interpret it correctly, the oil fill cap says to use either:

SAE 10W-30 API CJ-4 or,

for severe duty conditions, SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4.

The cap does not say I should run synthetic.

Do you know: Are the 6.7 Tremors being delivered with dino juice? Or with synthetic?

I'm an old Valvoline fan. In my 6.7's, I used Valvoline Blue Synthetic, twice a year, with Motorcraft filters. Haven't decided on an Oil for the Tremor. I've read a lot of good things about Valvoline Extend Protection for the 7.3.

I'm confused.

I went to my local Ford dealer to price the Motorcraft synthetic oil that is recommended for the 6.7. The bottle that the parts guy put on the counter was labeled WSS-M2C171-F1. It is available there for $12 a quart. That felt to me like way too much money, so I left without it.

SAE 10W-30 API CJ-4 or,

Do you know: Are the 6.7 Tremors being delivered with dino juice? Or with synthetic?
To answer your last question first, I believe the break in juice is a form of fully or mainly Dino squeezings. Someone posted a link to a list of Ford approved lubricants a while back and it was a very helpful resource for me. I switch to synthetic just because I live in an area that sees potential hot and cold swings throughout the year. ???

I'm confused.

SAE 10W-30 API CJ-4 or,

I will have to look at my service records but if I remember rt the last oil change at the dealership they put Motorcraft 15-40 HD oil in it.

I will have to look at my service records but if I remember rt the last oil change at the dealership they put Motorcraft 15-40 HD oil in it.
Also I think in the owners manual it has the range of temperature for oil to run I live in E Wa state and in the winter it gets cold and summer it gets very hot so 15-40 is the rt temperature range of oil to run year round. If you lived in Alaska you would run your 10-30 or thinner. I don’t know anyone who would run Synthetic oil in a heavy duty diesel.

I'm confused.

SAE 10W-30 API CJ-4 or,

Alternative Engine Oil for Biodiesel Fuel Blends (B20 Max)
Materials

NameSpecification
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
XO-5W40-5Q3SD
WSS-M2C171-F1
Motorcraft® SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
XO-15W40-QSDF
WSS-M2C171-F

I'm confused.

SAE 10W-30 API CJ-4 or,

Attachments

• 99CC969E-0217-4703-9FC7-71337C2EFB87.jpeg
    99CC969E-0217-4703-9FC7-71337C2EFB87.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
Back