Of all the things to happen to the truck on a road trip...

strogg

Watch out for this guy
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
2001 Ford Excursion, 2010 Ford Focus
I made my journey through some rough trails and places very near the Rio Grande. I could've gotten stuck, could've gotten carjacked, could've gotten at least broken into. No. Nothing of the sort happened. The truck was an absolute champ despite how much I thrashed it on the rough trails. But on my return journey this morning, I not only struck one bird, but TWO birds! The first bird was your garden variety small bird that bounced off the windshield. The second occurred a couple hours later. I think it was a vulture.

20210502_114615.jpg

20210502_112003.jpg

I made my journey through some rough trails and places very near the Rio Grande. I could've gotten stuck, could've gotten carjacked, could've gotten at least broken into. No. Nothing of the sort happened. The truck was an absolute champ despite how much I thrashed it on the rough trails. But on my return journey this morning, I not only struck one bird, but TWO birds! The first bird was your garden variety small bird that bounced off the windshield. The second occurred a couple hours later. I think it was a vulture.

View attachment 23445

View attachment 23444
Dam that sucks..Least it hit over where did and not in your vision..Least you were ok..

Dayum! Angry Bird!

My bro and his first officer almost cashed their meal tickets when a really big bird (they think a 20 pound stork) came through their windshield at 18,000' over Ethiopia! They saw it at the last split
second and shoved the stick forward so that the boid hit the top edge of the windshield. Luckily they both had sunglasses on or they might have been blinded by flying glass fragments.

View attachment 23445

View attachment 23444
That does suck, almost had that happen on a Harley ride from Big Bend to Del Rio!

View attachment 23445

View attachment 23444
Ouch. We were travelling outback a few years ago and one of the guys hit an emu. Not the sort of bird you want to hit. It moved his steel bullbar.

This is a still from a helmet cam video I took a few years back. You can imagine what the next few frames consisted of. I managed not to crash though.
bird.jpg

I'm pretty sure my insurance won't cover birds or anything like that. It's just not the type of insurance I'd pay for. On the bright side, on closer inspection, I don't see any structural damage. The quarter panel was a bit bent, but not enough for me to care. The windshield cowl is torn as well, but I don't care about that either. Both issues give the truck battle scar character. So all I need is to pony up for a new windshield. I'd rather just spend the $500 on the windshield and call it a day versus dealing with insurance and watching my premiums go up.

Thankfully no one was hurt. I did receive some glass fragments, but nothing to write home about. There was also no one in the passenger seat at the time. The entire front passenger side of the cabin got peppered with glass.

And no... My truck was not part of the windshield recall. When I searched on Ford's website with my VIN, I got the message: No Recalls or Field Service Actions found.

I think this sort of damage would be covered under basic comprehensive. Just call your insurance. Worst thing they can do is say no.?‍♂️

"Battle scars" That's the kind of guys that drive Tremors. :cool:

Driving our dually back in 2002, probably only going 45 or so and a blue heron flew up out of a ditch next to the road and crossed in front of us just in time to catch the middle of the wind shield. Left a perfect outline, feather dust, of the bird sprawled across the entire windshield, but didn't even crack the glass. In the rear view there was quite a mess in the road and a lot of feathers in the bed of the truck. That was one tough piece of glass.

Back