Odd noises on shut off

Whyte Rhyno

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
Current Ride #2
1974 F250 Highboy
Anyone else notice a strange “squawking” noise when shutting off the truck in cold weather? I don’t notice the sound when the truck has been run for a while and is up to optimal temperature. See video below.

What the heck? Mine doesn't make any sounds like that.

Ed

I think it might be the fuel pump or something like that. Only occurs when it’s cold.

definitely sounds like something electronic actuating on/off.

If its fuel related could it be purging air or priming the system for a future start?

6.7 350- Warm weather here. I hear a small motor running from engine compartment after truck has been shut off,doors locked and lights shut off. Wondering what that could be.

Service crew at Ford have said the noises are normal operation. Couldn't elaborate on what what making noise but they found no issues. Again, the noises only occur when cold or run for short periods. Truck runs fine so I'm not concerned anymore

Mine made that noise yesterday after I started and stopped the engine to pull it in the garage.

I did some Googling but found nothing to match that sound. There are videos with 6.7’s making a much louder noise at shut off and that noise is caused by a faulty waste gate solenoid. By any chance, does the sound stop or change if the brake pedal is pressed? If so, it might be the diesel waste gate solenoid. Just guessing, I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I did some Googling but found nothing to match that sound. There are videos with 6.7’s making a much louder noise at shut off and that noise is caused by a faulty waste gate solenoid. By any chance, does the sound stop or change if the brake pedal is pressed? If so, it might be the diesel waste gate solenoid. Just guessing, I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Haven’t tried depressing the brake. It’s only when the engine is still cold at shut off.

Haven’t tried depressing the brake. It’s only when the engine is still cold at shut off.

Understood, in the video the driver stated that the noise was also at shut off and went away when the brake was pressed. I think he said that pressing the brake released the vacuum?

Understood, in the video the driver stated that the noise was also at shut off and went away when the brake was pressed. I think he said that pressing the brake released the vacuum?
I’ll try the brake truck next time. When I popped the hood and listened it seemed like it came from the turbo. I thought it was the vanes opening or closing or maybe a solenoid in the waste gate. Strange that it only happens when cold. Dealer service says it’s normal. Who knows.

Florida Truck here, never heard it on mine but i have heard a sound but its only the turbo despolling i guess?

I owned a 2011 F-250 KR 6.7L and a 2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L and both trucks from time to time had what sounds like a soft duck quack from under the hood just after shutdown. Always wondered if it was the turbo venting pressure.

Anyone else notice a strange “squawking” noise when shutting off the truck in cold weather? I don’t notice the sound when the truck has been run for a while and is up to optimal temperature. See video below.

View attachment 840

Mine makes that noise sometimes too

Holy crap that's funny! Sounds like a cross between a howler monkey and a type of bird!

Was the cause ever determine? Is this case closed!?

Last edited:
i think it's case closed. they say it's normal operation but didn't confirm what was making the noise.

i think it's case closed. they say it's normal operation but didn't confirm what was making the noise.
Well...so we don't know for sure, we just trust. Dang, I was hoping someone had figured it out. I'm curious but have the 'Zillla engine.

Mine makes some clicking noises when I shut it off. Sometimes I hear fans, but nothing squaking. Lol....

Latest Discussions

Back