Odd noises on shut off

Likely the case, my other manufacturer's diesel makes similar noises and my 21 Tremor does too.
So far my 21 6.7 is not making any strange noises.

I just got my F-350 6.7 650 miles ago. I'm in MN, so it's been cold since I've picked it up. I assume this is the same issue, but mine sounds like there is a damn owl trapped under my hood...
View attachment 45040
I'll be calling the dealership and see what they have to say, and let ya'll know if it's anything useful.
Exact noise mine makes

Mine didn’t start making the dying crow noise until it started getting cold. Freezing or so and below

Mine didn’t start making the dying crow noise until it started getting cold. Freezing or so and below
It hasn't done it to me since it warmed up a little bit. Seems to be happening when it's below zero.

I thought this was a joke, but I guess it's not... First time my daughter rode in my new truck, 7.3, she said "wow this has lots of horses and like 4 lions". Glad I picked the 7.3 over the 6.7, four lions is decidedly better than two crows

I really don’t think this is a problem. I think this is some normal function of the emissions system etc.

Heard it for the first time yesterday. The truck was warmed up and had been driven, took a short trip to pick up my lunch and at shut off I heard it. Made me chuckle a bit!

The sound you’re most likely hearing is the motor driven turbo VGT actuator. 2020 was the first year for it, previously being hydroelectric. The VGT will do a few full sweeps to prevent carbon buildup directly following key off, regardless of whether the engine was started. It’s always audible, but much louder when cold. The other sounds you’ll hear after shutdown are the motor for the EGT valve doing a sweep, but it’s (usually) much quieter, and couple minutes after key off the vacuum solenoid releases the EGR cooler bypass valve.

Last edited:
Mine just started doing this, but only when you shut it off after a short trip with basically a cold motor. If the engine is totally warm it does not do it.

I just got my F-350 6.7 650 miles ago. I'm in MN, so it's been cold since I've picked it up. I assume this is the same issue, but mine sounds like there is a damn owl trapped under my hood...
View attachment 45040
I'll be calling the dealership and see what they have to say, and let ya'll know if it's anything useful.
Just an update for you guys. I had it in to the dealer, they got it to produce the sound, when it was cold, and they found that it was the turbo actuator. They said it was the first one they've heard do this. Waiting on a new one now. Who knows how long it'll take to get...

Just dropped of my 22 Tremor for the same noise (after being on the waiting list for 3 weeks to be seen). The dealership agreed there was an issue and suspected it was the Turbo. Well just got a call they will be replacing my turbo under warranty. The truck has on 1,300 miles on it and it has been making the noise since I bought it.

Last edited:
Mine does it even in warm weather. On shutdown it does 3 to 4 times
Same here. Always does it regardless of air temp. My kids always ask what that noise is....I don't have an answer, but will be telling them its a crow from now on.

Same here. 22 with crows under the hood, regardless of temp. When talking with Ford tech, they stated, as it was above, that this is the EGR valve. Makes me laugh when it happens and people are standing by the front of the truck.

So do we know if this is a issue or non factor? My 2022 does it too
Sounds like people reporting both ways on it needing service or that it is fine just a noise.

Sounds like people reporting both ways on it needing service or that it is fine just a noise.
No issue.. as per design.

I have the crow as well 2022 F350 , live in SoCal, it does it almost every shut off. My daughters think it’s hilarious that our truck makes bird calls! My buddies Tesla can make farting sounds, but it can’t make crow mating calls!!

The two dealerships I went to both said it was an issue with the Turbo. I did noticed some boost issues randomly and they noticed it too. They said it was failing and if I had kept going with it like that it would of eventually broke into pieces sending metal everywhere.

Anyone else notice a strange “squawking” noise when shutting off the truck in cold weather? I don’t notice the sound when the truck has been run for a while and is up to optimal temperature. See video below.

View attachment 840
I have the exact same noises. However, its not cold in Memphis. So, mine does it warm as well.

Back