Odd noises on shut off

Anyone else notice a strange “squawking” noise when shutting off the truck in cold weather? I don’t notice the sound when the truck has been run for a while and is up to optimal temperature. See video below.

View attachment 840
Is that a bird!?

Mine does it even if the engine hasn't been run. Turn key on without starting, wait maybe a minute, then turn off and exit truck. About 10 sec later I get the squawk. Usually only one chirp this way. With a very short engine run (pulling into garage after washing) I have had up to four "caws"

Is this what everyone means when they say they love the sounds of the diesel? 🦅

I’ve been told that the noise is from the diaphragm releasing off the cooler

So, I don't have a truck to compare this to but just going off the video my immediate thought is some kind of high RPM small gearing. I'm not sure what that would be -- but when I was younger I used to build RC cars from scrap parts a lot -- and that sounds just like an open gearbox turning at a high RPM.

No idea what part that could translate to or if it's gears or gasses as some have proposed.

Nonetheless, I demand a video of some super burly dude pulling up on some hot girls and shutting off his truck and them laughing at him when it makes this noise. Someone make it happen, lol!

Mine does this as well - its been very cold for AZ lately, and I haven’t driven much this week as I’ve been off work and doing a bunch of mods. I started it a couple times this week to warm it up. When I shut it down, also made a loud “rush of air” sound. I just figured this was normal cold diesel operation stuff.

My 17 and my 21 did not do this, but my 22 does this. If memory serves over on FTE they are claiming it is some sort of priming of a pump.

Service crew at Ford have said the noises are normal operation. Couldn't elaborate on what what making noise but they found no issues. Again, the noises only occur when cold or run for short periods. Truck runs fine so I'm not concerned anymore
That sounds like Fords standard response to any noise that no one else has, always makes me wonder why a new one doesn't do it:unsure:. What dealer do you use in MT? I'd hear mine do some electrical stuff after shutdown never for that loud though

I cannot WAIT until I hear this from my truck. I have not heard it yet. Sounds like a crow or raven for sure. I hope it scares the crows I have at my house lately.

It seems like cars/trucks all have stuff that moves well after shutoff now. My 2011 BMW has a bunch of noises. Most of it seems to be from the high pressure fuel pump or HVAC system. This noise really is odd - I agree it's like a purge sound or actuator of some sort.

I think I heard someone say that DEF is pumped out of the line back to the reservoir at shut off to prevent freezing. Could that be a small pump dedicated to that action making the noise?

I think I heard someone say that DEF is pumped out of the line back to the reservoir at shut off to prevent freezing. Could that be a small pump dedicated to that action making the noise?
That is correct but I don’t know if that is the source of the noise.

E14192D9-D65B-4B6C-8C1A-3685B124BCDC.jpeg
It’s one of these two “valves”. I have seen the vacuum actuator on the left move along with that noise after shut down. Scared the shit out of me when I popped the hood open. I’m not sure which it is but I suspect the vacuum one on the left. I believe it’s the egr valve.

That sounds like Fords standard response to any noise that no one else has, always makes me wonder why a new one doesn't do it:unsure:. What dealer do you use in MT? I'd hear mine do some electrical stuff after shutdown never for that loud though
I'm in Missoula. Lithia Ford. Truck still makes the noise from time to time. No other issues

I just got my F-350 6.7 650 miles ago. I'm in MN, so it's been cold since I've picked it up. I assume this is the same issue, but mine sounds like there is a damn owl trapped under my hood...

I'll be calling the dealership and see what they have to say, and let ya'll know if it's anything useful.

I did some Googling but found nothing to match that sound. There are videos with 6.7’s making a much louder noise at shut off and that noise is caused by a faulty waste gate solenoid. By any chance, does the sound stop or change if the brake pedal is pressed? If so, it might be the diesel waste gate solenoid. Just guessing, I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Likely the case, my other manufacturer's diesel makes similar noises and my 21 Tremor does too.

Back