Not thrilled with first long tow.

For the size trailer you are towing I don't think tremor vs non-tremor is going to make a world of difference. You have plenty of truck its just going to take a better setup with your trailer to improve. If you want something more stable than that spending your money on a dual axle or 5th wheel setup would be a better use.

But again setup is key, you have plenty of truck for that trailer.
A 5th wheel has been on the menu for awhile. I was just surprised with this tow. I’ve pulled a lot of trailers, including this one for 10l miles, and I guess I just thought it would be rock solid. But to be honest, I thought the tremor was a bit floaty and unsteady unloaded from day 1.

The Tremor, with the 7.3L, simply being too light, could also explain the different max tow ratings of this platform, despite the 7.3L being used on much higher rated platforms.

Maybe it’s not just Ford Marketing gimmicks.

I think it still is partly marketing, partly expectations and rising standards too. Mechanicals aside.

Folks were still yanking around overloaded flatbeds in the 70s on smogger big blocks and I think those old trucks curbed out under 5k.

I’m of the opinion that proper highway tires would go a long way vs the duratracs it comes with. Some Michelin LTXs would probably clean it right up.

I swap between those and KM3s depending on the duty my 200 series cruiser is performing, and it’s a massive difference in highway manners. Honestly I’ll probably do the same with the Tremor. Off road tires are great but they introduce all sorts of weird shit to the way a truck drives when you drive them back to back with honest to god quality highway tires.

Last edited:
A 5th wheel has been on the menu for awhile. I was just surprised with this tow. I’ve pulled a lot of trailers, including this one for 10l miles, and I guess I just thought it would be rock solid. But to be honest, I thought the tremor was a bit floaty and unsteady unloaded from day 1.

My bet is the tires feel different from the F150 street tires, especially if they were 20s with low profile. I currently have a 2500 denali that I towed our camper for 1,000s of miles with. Once i switched to off road tires (I even picked the nito G2's that are still primarily designed for road), the towing felt a little more "floaty" but after 1000s of miles with the new tires it now just feels normal and I don't think twice about it. The tremor with 18" wheels and a lot of rubber is going to feel a little "floaty" I imagine, still waiting on tremor to confirm :)

I’m of the opinion that proper highway tires would go a long way vs the duratracs it comes with. Some
My bet is the tires feel different from the F150 street tires, especially if they were 20s with low profile. I currently have a 2500 denali that I towed our camper for 1,000s of miles with. Once i switched to off road tires (I even picked the nito G2's that are still primarily designed for road), the towing felt a little more "floaty" but after 1000s of miles with the new tires it now just feels normal and I don't think twice about it. The tremor with 18" wheels and a lot of rubber is going to feel a little "floaty" I imagine, still waiting on tremor to confirm :)
Yeah, it had Michelin LTXs in 20” wheels. I love those tires. Might try to get them in as close to oem size as possible.

Yeah, it had Michelin LTXs in 20” wheels. I love those tires. Might try to get them in as close to oem size as possible.

Googled this awhile back.

295/70/18 should be close enough, just over 34 inch OD.

When I make a build thread I’m going to have these going on the oem wheels and a set of method HDs wearing the stock duratracs. $$$ but I love being able to switch.

Edit: quick trip down the rabbit hole.
1634764546601.png

Towed this setup from Albuquerque to Las Vegas (empty - 5100#) about 540miles on Weigh-safe ball hitch only. In this configuration, the tongue weight was 1200#, so a little tail heavy (squat) in the truck. No sway bar. Trailer nose could've gone up an inch or two. Towed pretty nice in the range of 65-75mph on I-40.

Towed the same trailer with 1600# Can Am in back 11' of the trailer (garage) with engine (c.g.) at the rear. Used 750# weight-distributions bars on #6 link (normally #5 is recommended on my setup). Prior to attaching with WD hitch, I used the Weigh-safe hitch and got a reading of 800# tongue weight with Can-Am and an additional 90gal water just in front of the front axle). Trailer sat level, as did the truck (42" fender height front & rear). Snugged-up the anti-sway bar - not super tight. Literally couldn't tell the trailer was back there for the 1500mi round trip (I-15 to Jackson, WY), even passing (or getting passed) by big-rigs.

A couple factors I think could be: tires well broken-in (>16,000mi) 75PSI rears, 55PSI fronts, my truck has adaptive steering (which I tend to think it "tightens-up" highway speed steering input), and I have the diesel (so definitely more weight upfront).

My buddy has the same exact trailer, CanAm, WD hitch, but a Ram (ugh) Tradesmen 2500 diesel, and he did the same trip with us. Though not relevant to "Tremors", the Ram has a 149" wheelbase and the Tremors have 160". He said he was ALL over the road, but it got better when he raised the ball height to level the trailer part way through the trip.

Of course, Tremor to Tremor should be similar, but I wonder if Adaptive Steering has an impact, and I think definitely the weight of the diesel up front helps too. Still, I'm always ready to grab the trailer brake JIC.

20210628_190750.jpg

I am pulling a 10k bumper pulled TT with my 6.7 Tremor and GenY torsion + equalizer hitch. If my rear view wasn't blocked, I wouldn't know it was there.

It must be your setup.

I waited until 1500 miles to start towing. The manual suggested waiting at least 1000.

I understand what you feel. This truck, compared to my 17 cclb and my 11 ccsb feels the most unstable towing. Not comfortable ever compared to the other two trucks. Maybe it’s the tires, but I feel like the front end needs more caster to make it track better. Eventually I try to fix that.

I’m giving more credence to this simple explanation every day.

It may turn out that while the limiting factor of the 7.3L Tremor is not power. It is weight distribution.

Ford engineering the truck for the weight distribution with the diesel, and then making the Godzilla too light, would explain why most of the comments about squirrelly handling and poor braking seems to come from us Godzilla jockeys.

For Super Duty’s of the past, was the weight between the largest gas motor and the diesel motor more similar? My first generation Super Duty with the Triton V10 towed great relative to my Tremor.
It’s also likely many peoples first experience with an alumiduty. Another weight savings.

I towed our 30ft 7Klbs bumper pull TT last weekend for the first time with the Godzilla and it was such an improvement over my 07 Sierra 1500. I didn't feel any sway from wind or semis. This is a twin axle trailer using Reese Strait-Line WDH. I previously verified the hitch weight a Cat Scale. Hitch weight can make a huge difference, and its so easy to measure.

This is our setup. Tows just fine, no sway, hardly know it is back there. We use a proper weight distribution hitch. Totally stock truck.
hitched up 2.jpg

I pull a 30' 7k dry dual axle trailer with my 2020 F250 Tremor 6.7 Diesel. I replaced a 2018 F150 Ecoboost. The F250 tows the same trailer very smoothly without the diesel suck I used to get on the F150. Try balancing your load a bit more. Make sure the trailer is towing very level to the ground. Put a small bubble level longitudinally on the trailer A-frame to check how level it is. Get a lowered hitch if the truck sits too high. I had to get an adjustable drop hitch to get mine level. Also, dump all the tanks and refill them right before you get to the RV site. Black, grey ,or potable water you can figure at about 8 pounds per gallon. Never travel with full tanks. Also, drive slower if you still get too much sway. You can get your truck and trailer weighed at a truck stop. I think you will notice a great improvement in stability with a 5th wheel multiple axle trailer. The F250 will tow a much heavier load with a fifth wheel than a trailer pull.
P.S. 5.5k sounds a bit heavy for the single axle trailer you described.

Last edited:
Single axle trailers suck to tow in general. A single axle trailer with that much weight most definitely. Even on my small trailers I go for tandems. I’ll drag my big goose for a small job before I will a short single for any distance.

20’ camper on a single axle will never tow good even with a DRW, too much movement on the axis of the axle. 20’ boat trailers have dual axles just for this reason.

It's the camper and how you are setting it up 100%.
Just got back from a 1,200 mile camping trip. Tennessee to Florida and back.

I have a 21 250 7.3. It replaced my 17 150 3.5 ecoboost. I’ve been towing the same 20’ camper for 6 years and this is my third row vehicle.

Camper is 20’ single axle right around 5,500 lbs. Probably overloaded a bit with 40lbs of propane, 45 gallons of water, dual 6 volt batteries, and residential mattress in the front bed. Regular chain style WDH hitch but no sway bar added.

I assumed that the F250 would be rock steady compared to the F150. But it didn’t really feel any better. Lots of truck suck from semis, and just didn’t feel very planted overall. I have about 14k miles towing this camper, so I’m not new to it. Just disappointed in the tow. Didn’t feel like an upgrade.

We are getting ready to sell our camper and want to get a 30’ 5th wheel. But if it tows like my 20’ bumper pull, I won’t be happy.

Could it just be the camper? Single axle, no shocks, short length compared to truck?? I know the tongue weight is way over stock with the mods I’ve done.
single axle, say no more! Ever tried backing up a jet ski at a boat ramp 🤔 😝

Just got back from a 1,200 mile camping trip. Tennessee to Florida and back.

I have a 21 250 7.3. It replaced my 17 150 3.5 ecoboost. I’ve been towing the same 20’ camper for 6 years and this is my third row vehicle.

Camper is 20’ single axle right around 5,500 lbs. Probably overloaded a bit with 40lbs of propane, 45 gallons of water, dual 6 volt batteries, and residential mattress in the front bed. Regular chain style WDH hitch but no sway bar added.

I assumed that the F250 would be rock steady compared to the F150. But it didn’t really feel any better. Lots of truck suck from semis, and just didn’t feel very planted overall. I have about 14k miles towing this camper, so I’m not new to it. Just disappointed in the tow. Didn’t feel like an upgrade.

We are getting ready to sell our camper and want to get a 30’ 5th wheel. But if it tows like my 20’ bumper pull, I won’t be happy.

Could it just be the camper? Single axle, no shocks, short length compared to truck?? I know the tongue weight is way over stock with the mods I’ve done.
So a couple thoughts ….definitely need sway control…helps big time with the tail wag. The other thing is you knowing that you’re probably over weight. I’d be dumping the water and topped off one you’re close to your destination. You have to be mindful of your king pin weight towing a 5er. . Esp with a SRW F 250….just some food for thought…😊

I’m still mulling what to with my Tremor. I might sell it and move up to an F450 dually.

Latest Discussions

Back