Not thrilled with first long tow.

I'm gunna say it's tongue weight related. Or lack of .. It's imperative to have a Single Axle trailer balance. Behind a F350 Diesel, it would feel the same way. I do suggest adding a rear sway bar before towing your new 5th Wheel, and I think you'll find adding Air bags will also be in your future.
Hi Stu. I'm not so sure. I have a 12k fiver, 36' and have been in some pretty wicked Wyoming winds. Have not at all noticed a need for a sway bar and definitely didn't need air bags. The roughly 2k pin weight levels the truck perfectly. Plate height could be an issue for certain fifth wheels though.

If you had a slide in camper, then yeah, I would totally agree.
20210610_133233.jpg
20210610_133139.jpg

5ers will be much better. Since trading in our TT in 2013 to a 5er won't ever go back.

Love the 5ers on the road.
IMG_7218.jpeg

I'm kind of confused regarding all the talk about sway bars. What will a sway bar, which primarily serves to control body roll of the truck, do for trailer tow issues. I'm not talking about trailer sway control devices either. Also rear air bags will help maintain a level truck but again will do very little or nothing to correct for improperly set up trailer tongue weight. Don't mean to sound argumentative, but an improperly balanced trailer will be hell to tow no matter what accessories you add to the trucks suspension. Proper tongue weight and WD hitch setup should make this trailer pull like a dream behind the 250.

I'm kind of confused regarding all the talk about sway bars. What will a sway bar, which primarily serves to control body roll of the truck, do for trailer tow issues. I'm not talking about trailer sway control devices either. Also rear air bags will help maintain a level truck but again will do very little or nothing to correct for improperly set up trailer tongue weight. Don't mean to sound argumentative, but an improperly balanced trailer will be hell to tow no matter what accessories you add to the trucks suspension. Proper tongue weight and WD hitch setup should make this trailer pull like a dream behind the 250.
I added the Hellwig sway bar kit to my Tremor, but I drive on country roads ( curves and rolling ) so I wanted a bit better handling. I think it helps a bit with the towing when you are getting pushed around with wind on over passes.

Just got back from a 1,200 mile camping trip. Tennessee to Florida and back.

I have a 21 250 7.3. It replaced my 17 150 3.5 ecoboost. I’ve been towing the same 20’ camper for 6 years and this is my third row vehicle.

Camper is 20’ single axle right around 5,500 lbs. Probably overloaded a bit with 40lbs of propane, 45 gallons of water, dual 6 volt batteries, and residential mattress in the front bed. Regular chain style WDH hitch but no sway bar added.

I assumed that the F250 would be rock steady compared to the F150. But it didn’t really feel any better. Lots of truck suck from semis, and just didn’t feel very planted overall. I have about 14k miles towing this camper, so I’m not new to it. Just disappointed in the tow. Didn’t feel like an upgrade.

We are getting ready to sell our camper and want to get a 30’ 5th wheel. But if it tows like my 20’ bumper pull, I won’t be happy.

Could it just be the camper? Single axle, no shocks, short length compared to truck?? I know the tongue weight is way over stock with the mods I’ve done.
You will love your truck with 5th wheel .
Bumper pull sucks!!!
Huge difference between the two, huge!
We’ve been through it!!
Unless you have a Pro Pride P3 anti sway system with the bumper pull you won’t be happy.
5th wheel towing is a breeze!!

I have a 21 250 7.3. It replaced my 17 150 3.5 ecoboost. I’ve been towing the same 20’ camper for 6 years and this is my third row vehicle.

Camper is 20’ single axle right around 5,500 lbs. Probably overloaded a bit with 40lbs of propane, 45 gallons of water, dual 6 volt batteries, and residential mattress in the front bed. Regular chain style WDH hitch but no sway bar added.

I assumed that the F250 would be rock steady compared to the F150. But it didn’t really feel any better. Lots of truck suck from semis, and just didn’t feel very planted overall. I have about 14k miles towing this camper, so I’m not new to it. Just disappointed in the tow. Didn’t feel like an upgrade.

We are getting ready to sell our camper and want to get a 30’ 5th wheel. But if it tows like my 20’ bumper pull, I won’t be happy.

Could it just be the camper? Single axle, no shocks, short length compared to truck?? I know the tongue weight is way over stock with the mods I’ve done.
I towed a 7500lb+ twin axle with just the reviver hitch for 1200 miles through the mts of MT WY and SD, at 80 on the interstate and without a stabilizer hitch it was very steady. Could feel it’s sway a little with 45mph crosswind In WY. I was impressed with stability. Mine was a diesel 350 but don’t think the diesel would make much difference for stability little heavier

I added the Hellwig sway bar kit to my Tremor, but I drive on country roads ( curves and rolling ) so I wanted a bit better handling. I think it helps a bit with the towing when you are getting pushed around with wind on over passes.
Does the tremor not have a rear sway bar? Where any other superduty does?

It does not. That sway bar limits articulation off road. And the Tremor of course is supposed to be optimized for off road.
Many HD trucks do not come standard with a rear sway bar (my 3500 Ram does not) but is always on duallies.

Last edited:

I would have to think you will be much happier with anything with at least dual axles. Let alone 5th wheel.

You may be trying to do too much! With something that light I would just switch to a regular hitch to keep you tung weight high. Loaded properly even a single axel that gets some suction on truck passing would be instantly streightened out with the weight of the temor. Before I spent money on anything I would get rid of the chains, get everything level when hitched up and make sure a good 12 or even 15% of the weight was on the tung.
Before you spend a dime, do what this guy is recommending!

Ditch that WDH and go take a long drive hooked up without it.

It does not. That sway bar limits articulation off road. And the Tremor off course is supposed to be optimized for off road.
Many HD trucks do not come standard with a rear sway bar (my 3500 Ram does not) but is always on duallies.
Never looked for it but now taht you say that I now remember not seeing one. no means a towing expert though. Does a 150 come with a rear sway bar? My jeep has one. You don’t know what you don’t know.

I added the Hellwig kit it has 3 adjustments for the rear sway bar, its pretty easy to adjust or if I want to off road I can just remove it ( bar only keep bracket on). The truck can corner much better now.

I think your towing issues are more a weight distribution issue, rear sway bar kit is not going to fix it.

Might be surprised what 800 lbs extra on your steering axle does for control

I’m giving more credence to this simple explanation every day.

It may turn out that while the limiting factor of the 7.3L Tremor is not power. It is weight distribution.

Ford engineering the truck for the weight distribution with the diesel, and then making the Godzilla too light, would explain why most of the comments about squirrelly handling and poor braking seems to come from us Godzilla jockeys.

For Super Duty’s of the past, was the weight between the largest gas motor and the diesel motor more similar? My first generation Super Duty with the Triton V10 towed great relative to my Tremor.

The Tremor, with the 7.3L, simply being too light, could also explain the different max tow ratings of this platform, despite the 7.3L being used on much higher rated platforms.

Maybe it’s not just Ford Marketing gimmicks.

It may turn out that while the limiting factor of the 7.3L Tremor is not power.
Being honest here, power hasn't been the limiting factor for towing anything less than 20,000 pounds (maybe even 25,000 pounds?) for quite a number of years now, even with the gas engines. More power is definitely more better for towing, but it isn't required. Less power just means you go up the hills slower.

Comparison: semi trucks regularly go up steep grades at 20-25 mph, yet they aren't considered under-powered to the point of being dangerous or unusable. Would semi drivers take a massive increase in power? Of course, but they still haul the loads without that massive increase.

What would it take to make the Tremor tow as good as a standard SD?

I honestly didn't want a Tremor. I wanted a 7.3, Lariat, in white, with the blackout package. The Tremor was the only one I could find with that combination. I'll eventually replace the tires with the most streetable I can find in that size. I don't care at all about offroad. Don't care about articulation either.

What would it take to make the Tremor tow as good as a standard SD?

I honestly didn't want a Tremor. I wanted a 7.3, Lariat, in white, with the blackout package. The Tremor was the only one I could find with that combination. I'll eventually replace the tires with the most streetable I can find in that size. I don't care at all about offroad. Don't care about articulation either.

For the size trailer you are towing I don't think tremor vs non-tremor is going to make a world of difference. You have plenty of truck its just going to take a better setup with your trailer to improve. If you want something more stable than that spending your money on a dual axle or 5th wheel setup would be a better use.

But again setup is key, you have plenty of truck for that trailer.

Latest Discussions

Back