Not thrilled with first long tow.

BoilerRealm

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor Lariat
Just got back from a 1,200 mile camping trip. Tennessee to Florida and back.

I have a 21 250 7.3. It replaced my 17 150 3.5 ecoboost. I’ve been towing the same 20’ camper for 6 years and this is my third row vehicle.

Camper is 20’ single axle right around 5,500 lbs. Probably overloaded a bit with 40lbs of propane, 45 gallons of water, dual 6 volt batteries, and residential mattress in the front bed. Regular chain style WDH hitch but no sway bar added.

I assumed that the F250 would be rock steady compared to the F150. But it didn’t really feel any better. Lots of truck suck from semis, and just didn’t feel very planted overall. I have about 14k miles towing this camper, so I’m not new to it. Just disappointed in the tow. Didn’t feel like an upgrade.

We are getting ready to sell our camper and want to get a 30’ 5th wheel. But if it tows like my 20’ bumper pull, I won’t be happy.

Could it just be the camper? Single axle, no shocks, short length compared to truck?? I know the tongue weight is way over stock with the mods I’ve done.

That is one heavy camper for a single axle. Single axle trailers in general tend to tow pretty poorly compared to dual, ESPECIALLY one that heavy.

But there's a lot of other factors here too - tongue weight, tire PSI in the truck, the fact that your truck has 35" off-road tires, which weren't exactly designed around towing.

Will a 30' 5th wheel tow better than a 20' bumper pull? Almost certainly. It would be dual or triple axle, and you're spreading weight on all 4 tires of the truck.

I think weight distribution is pretty important for stability. I pull a car hauler often and many times just a few inches of movement of the load front to back makes a big difference. I have never used a hitch with a scale in it but maybe one of those would help you isolate the cause of your trailers squirrelly behavior.

BTW, I am pretty sure it is not the truck.

So many variables when towing, load balancing, trailer riding level and so on. Air pressure in tires for both the truck and trailer. Tire flex can feel loose when towing if pressures aren’t right. A 5th wheel is much more stable than a bumper pull, no comparison in my opinion. I was able to drive thru wind storms with a 5th wheel I would never have tried with bumper pull. Keep in mind the height of your truck when looking at 5th wheels, bed rail clearance is tough with these high trucks.

I'm gunna say it's tongue weight related. Or lack of .. It's imperative to have a Single Axle trailer balance. Behind a F350 Diesel, it would feel the same way. I do suggest adding a rear sway bar before towing your new 5th Wheel, and I think you'll find adding Air bags will also be in your future.

Our 2021 7.3 F350 pulls our 34' TT much better than our 2018 F150 did. I think trailer loading probably has a lot to do with the issues you are seeing, however the Tremor is not an ideal tow platform. A standard LB SD or dually would be better.

I'm gunna say it's tongue weight related. Or lack of .. It's imperative to have a Single Axle trailer balance. Behind a F350 Diesel, it would feel the same way. I do suggest adding a rear sway bar before towing your new 5th Wheel, and I think you'll find adding Air bags will also be in your future.
Agree with @stufarmer that rear sway bar makes a huggggeeee difference

I didn’t change the WDH settings from the 150 other than dropping the hitch head on the shank to level the camper. On the 5th chain link, and bars are perfectly parallel to the trailer frame. I’m definitely transferring weight to the front of the truck. Truck psi was 60 front and rear.

OK, your tires should be broken in, and your tire pressure seems right. So, going to agree with the others that have said there is probably a weight balance issue.

That said, I'll add the caveat that there may be some weird aerodynamics with this truck, that a rear sway bar and/or steering stabilizer may help quench, as a lot of people who highway tow with stock Tremor's share similar complaints regularly.

I imagine you were encountering this floaty feeling at speeds above ~55mph?

All of the above and aero is playing into it as well. the super duties are longer and higher than an F150 so there is more air under the truck hitting the overloaded, shorter than the truck trailer.

I'd like a pick of the angle of the hitch. Sounds like it's not level and it's acting like a sail.

OK, your tires should be broken in, and your tire pressure seems right. So, going to agree with the others that have said there is probably a weight balance issue.

That said, I'll add the caveat that there may be some weird aerodynamics with this truck, that a rear sway bar and/or steering stabilizer may help quench, as a lot of people who highway tow with stock Tremor's share similar complaints regularly.

I imagine you were encountering this floaty feeling at speeds above ~55mph?
Yeah, on the interstate. 65-70 mph. I’ve had 2 shorter trips, and never got over 55. Didn’t notice it then.

I didn’t change the WDH settings from the 150 other than dropping the hitch head on the shank to level the camper. On the 5th chain link, and bars are perfectly parallel to the trailer frame. I’m definitely transferring weight to the front of the truck. Truck psi was 60 front and rear.
You should setup the WD to the new truck per the manufacturer instructions of the hitch you are using.

Did you use sway control with the F150? I cant imagine it being a downgrade but Ive always towed tandem axle campers, thats a very heavy single axle trailer, how many lug is it? Most F150s I see towing big campers around here has the hitch almost dragging the ground with the soft rear springs. I can tow my 32ft tandem axle travel trailer at 80mph and pass a semi without much wiggle so something isnt right with your setup.

You may be trying to do too much! With something that light I would just switch to a regular hitch to keep you tung weight high. Loaded properly even a single axel that gets some suction on truck passing would be instantly streightened out with the weight of the temor. Before I spent money on anything I would get rid of the chains, get everything level when hitched up and make sure a good 12 or even 15% of the weight was on the tung.

Back