Not loving the Duratracs

Sfjakey

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor
First Responder
Fireman
I read all about people saying the duratrac needs to break in before it handles well. I’m at 1500 miles. I am coming from a 2017 350 cclb, so that may be affecting my perception, but I had an 11 ccsb prior, so I am familiar with the short wheelbase. Here is my issue, the tires do not feel connected to the road. They feel like they are wandering, and I am constantly correcting for this. I don’t get and feel at all. Alignment is good. It reminds me of driving a swb jeep. My 17 tracked like a train on rails. These tires also feel a bit “squishy” front and rear, like the sidewalls are too soft. Is this just how these tires are, or am I just not used to the SWB? I don’t think it’s the wheelbase, as this is still a pretty long vehicle.

I dont feel any of that anymore. First 750 miles I did but now I absolutely LOVE these tires!!
I hated them the first 1000mi and now I love them which makes me hate them even more ? Now I don’t have an excuse to get 37” RG’s until they run down!

My truck felt so unstable and wandered like crazy on the initial drive home, I thought something was wrong. Figured it was the overly narrow tires. Less than 200 miles on the Duratracs, and they were gone in favor of 35x1250x18 Toyo MTs. Problem gone.

I can’t really say I have much of an opinion on how these perform under normal conditions. In general the truck feels sloppy, but I expect that from a truck. (I’ve never owned a road-tuned truck.) So I drive it patiently.

But man these tires (I assume and have been told it’s mostly the tires) really make me uneasy when towing. Feels like pushing a wheel barrow over loose gravel.

So I imagine that translates back to performance under normal conditions.

I tow heavy with mine. Since adding the Hellwig sway bar, it pulls like my 2019 f350 did. The tires are just fine with 75psi in them when hauling and 45 psi empty. I did aftermarket wheels, but kept stock tires cause I like them.

Attachments

• 0CBD402B-EEDC-44AC-AE56-3098758C5270.jpeg
    0CBD402B-EEDC-44AC-AE56-3098758C5270.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 55DE7715-D141-4E02-AB6B-EF89054261F5.jpeg
    55DE7715-D141-4E02-AB6B-EF89054261F5.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 79F19B2A-D232-443E-9A4E-370F009AB07F.jpeg
    79F19B2A-D232-443E-9A4E-370F009AB07F.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 341
A lot of evidence/science here to suggest it’s mostly about the rear sway bar. But braking imperformance leaves me skeptical.

Noting: I mostly tow equipment. Which means unengineered and imperfectly balanced loads. And a variety of trailers that may leave more work to the truck. Always bumper pulling.

There are far fewer complaints here about towing performance with travel trailers, and fifth wheels in particular. That suggests to me they’re different beasts.

I’ve never towed a TT.

I read all about people saying the duratrac needs to break in before it handles well. I’m at 1500 miles. I am coming from a 2017 350 cclb, so that may be affecting my perception, but I had an 11 ccsb prior, so I am familiar with the short wheelbase. Here is my issue, the tires do not feel connected to the road. They feel like they are wandering, and I am constantly correcting for this. I don’t get and feel at all. Alignment is good. It reminds me of driving a swb jeep. My 17 tracked like a train on rails. These tires also feel a bit “squishy” front and rear, like the sidewalls are too soft. Is this just how these tires are, or am I just not used to the SWB? I don’t think it’s the wheelbase, as this is still a pretty long vehicle.
Yeah, took about 1500-2000 miles before I felt mine were “broken in”. However with 7000 miles now I feel that they can be “sucked in” to any kind of road imperfections.

Do you have adaptive steering? I have heard that can cause some strange handling if you arent used it how it works. These trucks are capable of driving straight and smooth. I can go down the road at 80mph with one finger on the wheel like I'm in a luxury sedan. Mine drives so well its shocking to me but I did come from a Ram 2500 so maybe thats why ?

Do you have adaptive steering? I have heard that can cause some strange handling if you arent used it how it works. These trucks are capable of driving straight and smooth. I can go down the road at 80mph with one finger on the wheel like I'm in a luxury sedan. Mine drives so well its shocking to me but I did come from a Ram 2500 so maybe thats why ?

I don’t. All of my current/recent past actual luxury vehicles do though. I am confident no Tremor’s are tracking like luxury sedans. ?

Completely believe they are better than Ram’s though. ?

After I picked up my new truck I drove ~800 miles mostly highway the first 2 days. I thought something was wrong too...every curve in the road was a bit unnerving as I constantly corrected both left and right to try to stay center of lane. I was prepared for this having read the forum and seeing others claiming the problem is widespread but somewhat relieved to learn eases after breaking them in.

Now at 1300 miles, I don't find the drive much better. Obviously I haven't taken another x00 mile trip on the highway, but even around town, it's felt as others have put it "disconnected" from the road.

I do have the adaptive steering option, but not having another super duty without the option to compare it to, can't describe what difference (if any) it makes.

I'm hoping not to have to replace the tires before they are properly worn in a few x0000 miles but whether it comes sooner or later, it will NOT be with another set of Duratracs.

But man these tires (I assume and have been told it’s mostly the tires) really make me uneasy when towing. Feels like pushing a wheel barrow over loose gravel.
I tow a 12k 5th wheel with mine at 60PSI front and 75PSI rear and it feels super stable. I have ~3k miles on the truck now. Definitely agree that the 1st 1k, maybe even 2K miles were not the best. I do try to run 45/45 when unloaded.

If you haven't yet, drive a little aggressively to speed the break in period.

I have adaptive steering and never had a single issue with the stock tires or handling. I drove it home first time on the highway for 45 miles with one finger like you said. Drove from the beginning absolutely fine. I love the tires as I have had them in deep snow and rain without a lick of trouble.

For me the initial drive home was unbearable ... I could not keep the truck straight ... as this was my first Super Duty, I just thought it was something I had to get used to ... the wondering did go away to my pleasure after a few miles .(less than 50) .. people here say it is the tires ... but I an not so sure ... to me, it felt more like the truck was just breaking in ... needless to say at about 5000 miles I just switched to Nitto Ridge Grapplers ... love them I also installed Fox 2.0s with the tires (stock wheels) and now the truck is a whole new wonderful beast. I now call her "brick house" from the song with the same name. Before the tires and shocks, I installed the Fox ATS steering stabilizer (this month's group buy) ... which was the single most noticeable enhancement to the truck.

Last edited:
At 4,000 miles, mine is definitely better than when new but it still wanders a little. What drives me crazy is the way they hold gravel from my driveway until I get on the highway. Then they throw said gravel up at the truck. It seems that the tread is spaced exactly right to grab and hold 3/4 minus gravel consistently. I put mudflaps on but I still get some throwback. Most of it hits the running boards thankfully.

I have 4,000 miles on mine as well. I would say they are just breaking in now. I didn't like them at all when they were new but now I would CONSIDER getting them again. They are smooth, quiet and holding a tighter line now than they did when new. Once I see how many miles I get out of them I'll decide what to get next. They definitely hold the 3/4" rocks and that size rock don't come out until you are at highway speed.

As we speak they are at 66 front and 75 rear.

Back