Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Military
Army
Current Ride
2020 F350 King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2016 F150 King Ranch
****UPDATE. Got the truck back and everything seems good so far. No noise, truck shifts better, brake effort is normal, and at idle in park everything sounds better. I would argue the torque converter is the problem and replacing it should alleviate this issue. Guess a bad batch was received.

got my Tremor yesterday. 7.3L I love the truck, but noticed today in a drive through that while idling and in gear, there is a noise that the engine makes. It's not a knocking, but I don't know if it is the valves making noise or what. It is a light sound, but definitely there. I don't hear it once I start to accelerate. I hear it in drive and reverse, but when in neutral or park, no noise. Anyone else experience these sounds? I know sometimes engines can make noises, but I wasn't expecting this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I got my Tremor yesterday. 7.3L I love the truck, but noticed today in a drive through that while idling and in gear, there is a noise that the engine makes. It's not a knocking, but I don't know if it is the valves making noise or what. It is a light sound, but definitely there. I don't hear it once I start to accelerate. I hear it in drive and reverse, but when in neutral or park, no noise. Anyone else experience these sounds? I know sometimes engines can make noises, but I wasn't expecting this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Looks like the noise is transmission related. Dealership said they had never heard this noise before, but transmission appears to be operating properly. They have a message in to Ford to get additional guidance. They think it might be torque converter related. I am new to Super Duty trucks, so I don't really know what to expect with how the truck should handle shifting and takeoff wise.

There is a thread on the the transmission Whine on the 7.3 and some other 10 speeds from Ford, Is it a whine?

There is a thread on the the transmission Whine on the 7.3 and some other 10 speeds from Ford, Is it a whine?
No. It almost a knocking when in gear but stopped. Can be in drive or reverse. Once the truck starts moving, the sound goes away. There is even a slight delay when the truck stops before the sound starts.

No. It almost a knocking when in gear but stopped. Can be in drive or reverse. Once the truck starts moving, the sound goes away. There is even a slight delay when the truck stops before the sound starts.
new strange sound?? well let us know what you find out and good luck with it hope its nothing

new strange sound?? well let us know what you find out and good luck with it hope its nothing
yes. I don't know if it had the sound when I picked up the truck on Thursday, but the next day I heard it, so I expect it has been there all along. Only about 500 miles on the truck. Runs good otherwise. I will update as I learn more.

yes. I don't know if it had the sound when I picked up the truck on Thursday, but the next day I heard it, so I expect it has been there all along. Only about 500 miles on the truck. Runs good otherwise.
Maybe will go way with break in????? self clearance issue?? How much wait time for an appointment?

Maybe will go way with break in????? self clearance issue?? How much wait time for an appointment?
The dealership I bought it from is small. I had them center the steering wheel and look at this issue at the same time. Took about an hour and a half. No appointment needed, but I did call ahead. Called them on Friday and they saw me yesterday.

I am hoping it will be self clearing, but I didn't want to take any chances. I wanted them to hear it and look at it for documentation.

And be ready to shut it down asap if it progresses to some thing more or there are other symptoms

And be ready to shut it down asap if it progresses to some thing more or there are other symptoms
I am paying close attention and usually notice when things are out of whack. The shifting is different, but I think it is the 10 speed. I have driven f150s with the 10 speed and didn't really like it compared to my 6 speed. This seems to be very similar. I'm still learning what is "normal" for this truck. We did a little road trip on Saturday, and it seemed to run really well.

I can't even feel mine shift. It crazy smooth Even better than my Audi with an 8 speed and I thought that was good.

You do feel the downshifts when using the engine brake and trailer tow especially in the mountains with a large trailer going down grades.

I did not think there was any difference in transmissions between the 6.7 and the 7.3 minus the exhaust brake and thats probably in the programing.

I can't even feel mine shift. It crazy smooth Even better than my Audi with an 8 speed and I thought that was good.

You do feel the downshifts when using the engine brake and trailer tow especially in the mountains with a large trailer going down grades.

I did not think there was any difference in transmissions between the 6.7 and the 7.3 minus the exhaust brake and thats probably in the programing.
I feel mine shift. There may be something going on then. It's not bad, but I do notice it. The down shifting is more noticeable. It's not bad, but I can feel it. If the torque converter is "locking up", maybe that is what is driving the noise. Like it doesn't want to disengage when stopped.

I feel mine shift. There may be something going on then. It's not bad, but I do notice it. The down shifting is more noticeable. It's not bad, but I can feel it. If the torque converter is "locking up", maybe that is what is driving the noise. Like it doesn't want to disengage when stopped.
Mine is the 6.7 so I probably should not have commented since this is a 7.3 thread. Programming is for certain different.

I believe in this day and age they can make a transmission that is smooth so I still question it.

Mine is the 6.7 so I probably should not have commented since this is a 7.3 thread. Programming is for certain different.

I believe in this day and age they can make a transmission that is smooth so I still question it.
I appreciate your input. I am going to give them a day or so and see what I hear. I am thinking it is the torque converter. Things don't seem quite right. I have noticed some lurching, but wasn't sure if it was just how the truck is or if there is an issue. I test drove 1 and it seemed to be similar, so I am just relying on the dealership to let me know what is correct. I don't like not knowing what is "normal".

I appreciate your input. I am going to give them a day or so and see what I hear. I am thinking it is the torque converter. Things don't seem quite right. I have noticed some lurching, but wasn't sure if it was just how the truck is or if there is an issue. I test drove 1 and it seemed to be similar, so I am just relying on the dealership to let me know what is correct. I don't like not knowing what is "normal".
I have had new trucks with gas engines and remember them "surging" a when brand new for first 100 miles or so. No knocking or ticks just a surging, always went away. I don't think any ticking or knocking is a good sign. I also think there was a torque converter issue early on but there is no way a new truck build would be affected by that.

I have had new trucks with gas engines and remember them "surging" a when brand new for first 100 miles or so. No knocking or ticks just a surging, always went away. I don't think any ticking or knocking is a good sign. I also think there was a torque converter issue early on but there is no way a new truck build would be affected by that.
Maybe I need to get used to the truck as well. It drives completely different than any other I have had. This is my first time driving anything bigger than an F150. Still learning, so I don't know what I should be feeling.

I just thought that maybe the 4:30 gears may be playing with why it drives so different. I had 3:55 on my F150 I think. It revs much more and pulls much harder on the low end than I am used to.

Maybe I need to get used to the truck as well. It drives completely different than any other I have had. This is my first time driving anything bigger than an F150. Still learning, so I don't know what I should be feeling.
Yes its a totally different animal than the Raptor. They drive "bigger" in my opinion. Still I love it. This is my first 10 speed product. Gen 1 Raptor has a 6 speed.

Mine occasionally has some subtle rattling noises from the trans area, mostly idling in park. I actually had the trans replaced at 1500 miles due to a leak and the new one does it too. I have to assume it is normal, most people probably wouldnt pay much attention to it but I notice these things. It also whines a bit at low speeds.

Back