Tremor2B

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
1998 GMC 4X4 Sierra
First Responder
Retired LEO
Hello to all!

Confession - Never owned a Ford but I'm pretty excited about taking the plunge! I've owned mostly trucks along with a couple of moto's. I decided to join because I'm looking to buy a 250 or 350. So many dang options!!! I'm hoping y'all will be kind enough to share your insights so I can avoid any "mistakes" when making my purchase. I'm looking to buy a 2021 or 2022.

I was also reaching out to various Ford dealerships throughout the country as some seem to have better deals than local dealerships. I also understand Montana has no sales tax but I think they getcha when you register the truck in the State you live in.

I recently retired and I'm moving up to northern Idaho.

The purpose of the truck will be to drive my family around, haul my recreation trailer (still need to buy, nothing too big) and lastly my tractor and basic farm equipment, related to country life.

I initially was looking at the 350's for towing prowess and capacity. In doing some research I've realized there's a "tow package" you can upgrade your 250 with. I'm also trying to decide if the 7.3 is plenty of engine vs. the 6.7. I've watched a few YouTube videos and I'm still vacillating. I also read the thread on here about the diesel engine and the impending doom (humor) of fossil fuel engines.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Future Ford owner!!!

Hello to all!

Confession - Never owned a Ford but I'm pretty excited about taking the plunge! I've owned mostly trucks along with a couple of moto's. I decided to join because I'm looking to buy a 250 or 350. So many dang options!!! I'm hoping y'all will be kind enough to share your insights so I can avoid any "mistakes" when making my purchase. I'm looking to buy a 2021 or 2022.

I was also reaching out to various Ford dealerships throughout the country as some seem to have better deals than local dealerships. I also understand Montana has no sales tax but I think they getcha when you register the truck in the State you live in.

I recently retired and I'm moving up to northern Idaho.

The purpose of the truck will be to drive my family around, haul my recreation trailer (still need to buy, nothing too big) and lastly my tractor and basic farm equipment, related to country life.

I initially was looking at the 350's for towing prowess and capacity. In doing some research I've realized there's a "tow package" you can upgrade your 250 with. I'm also trying to decide if the 7.3 is plenty of engine vs. the 6.7. I've watched a few YouTube videos and I'm still vacillating. I also read the thread on here about the diesel engine and the impending doom (humor) of fossil fuel engines.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Future Ford owner!!!
If you go with the 7.3 then F250 is probably fine. If you go diesel, then you might as well go F350 for the added payload (the 6.7 is a lot heavier than the 7.3). Yeah you aren't going to avoid the sales tax of the state you want to register it in. Get x-plan pricing (eaa.org for $40) and then just email fleet managers (assuming you want to custom order) all over the place until you find one that wants to help.

Welcome! If you’re interested in the Montana sales tax loophole, here’s a how-to: https://matthewjcheung.medium.com/legally-avoiding-car-sales-tax-37ee84adca79

Maybe worth it if you’re optioning your truck out towards the top end of the price range.

Here’s some info on the towing capacity of the 4 Tremor variants: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/the-tremor-towing-table.4262/

Note that they’re all damn close to equally capable under average conditions. But not all stickers are equal. And average conditions aren’t the only conditions.

If you go with the 7.3 then F250 is probably fine. If you go diesel, then you might as well go F350 for the added payload (the 6.7 is a lot heavier than the 7.3). Yeah you aren't going to avoid the sales tax of the state you want to register it in. Get x-plan pricing (eaa.org for $40) and then just email fleet managers all over the place until you find one that wants to help.
Thank you for the quick reply Scott!

Welcome! If you’re interested in the Montana sales tax loophole, here’s a how-to: https://matthewjcheung.medium.com/legally-avoiding-car-sales-tax-37ee84adca79

Maybe worth it if you’re optioning your truck out towards the top end of the price range.

Here’s some info on the towing capacity of the 4 Tremor variants: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/the-tremor-towing-table.4262/

Note that they’re all damn close to equally capable under average conditions. But not all stickers are equal. And average conditions aren’t the only conditions.
Thank you for the quick reply!

Welcome aboard! You have made the right decision. Ordering one is a long wait, worth it if you don't mind because you get exactly what you want. Supply is tightening up so choices are going to get a little lean for a while. I got the 7.3 because I pull on what I call a casual basis. Plenty of Youtube videos that demonstrate the robust capability of the 7.3. TFL Truck has a great demonstration and many other model demonstrations to compare to pulling the Ike Gauntlet. Maintenance is cheap and easy on the 7.3, payload is higher, and of course you save about 8 grand up front. I would definitely go with the F350. Good luck searching, hope you find the right truck for you. Also dig deep on the Tremor forum. There's a wealth of information on here already for the reading.

A few words before anyone buys their first HD Pickup. They Ride and Drive like Shit. They are by no means a Camry. They Suck Gas or Fuel. They are not remotely similar to a Civic. Their Steering is Vague and their Turning Radius is ridicules. They will never-ever drive like a BMW. They sit high and are hard to get into and out of. They are not an Accord. I'm kidding of course. They're not that hard to get into. ? ? ? .. Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard! You have made the right decision. Ordering one is a long wait, worth it if you don't mind because you get exactly what you want. Supply is tightening up so choices are going to get a little lean for a while. I got the 7.3 because I pull on what I call a casual basis. Plenty of Youtube videos that demonstrate the robust capability of the 7.3. TFL Truck has a great demonstration and many other model demonstrations to compare to pulling the Ike Gauntlet. Maintenance is cheap and easy on the 7.3, payload is higher, and of course you save about 8 grand up front. I would definitely go with the F350. Good luck searching, hope you find the right truck for you. Also dig deep on the Tremor forum. There's a wealth of information on here already for the reading.
Thank you RedZilla. I actually follow TFL Truck on YouTube, so thank you for that suggestion as well. I'm thinking I'm going to fall in the same category of "casual basis" as well. Sounds like the 7.3 might be the better choice for me as well. Now it's just a matter of deciding where I'll order it. You wrote I should go with the 350? I wasn't aware they would put a 7.3 in a 350.

Thank you again!

Thank you RedZilla. I actually follow TFL Truck on YouTube, so thank you for that suggestion as well. I'm thinking I'm going to fall in the same category of "casual basis" as well. Sounds like the 7.3 might be the better choice for me as well. Now it's just a matter of deciding where I'll order it. You wrote I should go with the 350? I wasn't aware they would put a 7.3 in a 350.

Thank you again
A few words before anyone buys their first HD Pickup. They Ride and Drive like Shit. They are by no means a Camry. They Suck Gas or Fuel. They are not remotely similar to a Civic. Their Steering is Vague and their Turning Radius is ridicules. They will never-ever drive like a BMW. They sit high and are hard to get into and out of. They are not an Accord. I'm kidding of course. They're not that hard to get into. ? ? ? .. Welcome aboard.
Thank you sir! Excited...and I don't get easily excited! lol

Thank you again!
Yes you can get the 7.3 in the 350 Tremor package and it comes with the 10 speed transmission. There's little difference in the 250 and 350 other than legal capacities based on the load sticker on the truck. Some states penalize the heavier load rated trucks with higher fees, thus the "de-rated" F250 badging. To me I would rather have higher legal capacity, that's up to you. There's been lengthy discussions on the forum about the differences in the 250 and 350. Those differences are negligible in the Tremor package other than badging. The Tremor is neither a pure pulling truck nor a pure off road truck. It's a marriage of the two without compromising either to any extreme. This makes the Tremor a very capable truck in both applications. We like camping in areas that are a little harder to access, thus our need for off road capability on top of towing capacity. I ordered ours just because I knew this will be a truck for the long haul for us and I wanted it equipped just the way we wanted. You probably won't find many Tremors that are King Ranch and up on dealer lots, mostly XLT and some Lariats. Order time right now is probably going to result in an early Aug or Sept delivery at best. Don't be discouraged, this truck is worth the effort and time to get what you want.

Welcome!

Just got my 350 PS. Once you unleash those 1050 ft/lbs
you will only wonder why you even considered the gasser.

Back