New Tires or New Steering Stabilizer?

What pressures are you running. Dropping from the factory set 80 psi down to 55/50 made a world of difference for my truck.
Jesus! Mine were set at 55/60 from the factory. I can't imagine going to 80, ever. Those are numbers for street LT tires 🤣

I ordered 1 degree shims today. Gonna give that a shot i think.
What problem are you trying to fix? Why did you go for the 1 degree shims instead of 2 degree?

What problem are you trying to fix? Why did you go for the 1 degree shims instead of 2 degree?
It was suggested to be between 4 and 5. The two degree shims would put me over 5? I dunno. Thought they would help and try it first. Maybe just should have gone for the 2.s. i have not much center feel and truck wants to wander in the lane. Constant little steering corrections.

I'm in the high-teens right now with my Duratracs. I'd be surprised if they last till 30 at this rate...which is fine with me. I'm running 40 psi all around. For the Rear, the difference from 50 to 40 was dramatic and literally improved ride quality by more than 50% in my perception. On the Front... I'm possibly going to put to 45 or back to 50, as the engine adds a lot of weight and makes the front tiers a little "soggy", with no perceivable benefit over 50 psi in front.

I'm running Upper and Lower Carli stabs, they're great. With the E-Venture system, going on Baja mode really tightens up handling when I want it. I think if you have issues and can't "handle" it, grab some new tires first though... as you can drop 20k on suspension upgrades and still be frustrated because shitty tires!

It was suggested to be between 4 and 5. The two degree shims would put me over 5? I dunno. Thought they would help and try it first. Maybe just should have gone for the 2.s. i have not much center feel and truck wants to wander in the lane. Constant little steering corrections.
That is exactly why I went with new shims and chose the 2 degree size. I reported on the results in this discussion. They are hard enough to change that I would not want to keep experimenting with different sizes.

Just curious, are these factory suspension trucks? My Tremor is the best riding, driving, Super Duty I ever owned. Still can't believe I haven't changed the shocks yet. Now the 10 spd is another story, lol.

DO NOT PUT YOUR ORDERED BUSHING IN.
I'll say it again,

You can't just order a 1 degree bushing. (if you did install them and it fixed it, you got extremely lucky). There is a process to ordering a bushing to change caster/camber specs. The factory bushings have part numbers on them that identify the amount of adjustment the bushing is capable of. Once a tech has that info, he/she can then order the appropriate bushing to achieve the desired specs.

As mentioned, there are replies here that may not make any difference at all, including mine of increasing caster.

Take your truck to a truck shop, (a shop that works on nothing but trucks). Explain your issue and see what they have to say. It could be something that costs you next to nothing and saves you from going on a drinking/cussing binge.

Last edited:
I'll say it again,

You can't just order a 1 degree bushing. (if you did install them and it fixed it, you got extremely lucky). There is a process to ordering a bushing to change caster/camber specs. The factory bushings have part numbers on them that identify the amount of adjustment the bushing is capable of. Once a tech has that info, he/she can then order the appropriate bushing to achieve the desired specs.

As mentioned, there are replies here that may not make any difference at all, including mine of increasing caster.

Take your truck to a truck shop, (a shop that works on nothing but trucks). Explain your issue and see what they have to say. It could be something that costs you next to nothing and saves you from going on a drinking/cussing binge.
Thank you for this!. I was trying to figure this out how factory trucks can come with different casters. I was trying to get someone who would tell me this very thing you did. I did not grasp that every factory shim would be zero and you would simply add one or two degrees worth. With A shim that fits every truck from like 2005. It made no sense to me in a way. I was trying to figure out were the caster that my truck has came from. You hit what I was trying to figure out on the head
Every truck is different then from the factory so need to add degrees to the angle or degrees on the factory shim whatever that may be . As shown on the factory shim.
I e
Mentioned previously that i have 3.2 on the left and 3.7 on the right as measured at the dealership before i picked my new truck 2 months ago.

I have this correct now?.

I have contacted what is a proper 4x4 shop and asked for a price to re shim and properly align the truck so it drives as it should. I should get that price tommorrow. I talked with 2 shops they both said same thing caster and proper alignment should be first

Just curious, are these factory suspension trucks? My Tremor is the best riding, driving, Super Duty I ever owned. Still can't believe I haven't changed the shocks yet. Now the 10 spd is another story, lol.
My 2023 tremor is completely stock at the moment. It just feels so unstable in the lane on the highway. Hell even the lane centering feature my truck has just bounes back and forth across one side of the lane to the other. Back and forth.
Forget about feeling planted around a corner on the highway. Just is not comfortable yet steering wise. I cant beleive how bad this truck steers compared to my lariat 2017 non tremor. That thing was perfect as i feel my new truck should be as well. At least similar given i have 18 inch rims vs the 20s my 2017 had. I do see my sway bar was beefier on my 2017 than my new tremor but i beleive thats to allow a bit more flex for "off road situations".
My assumption.

Thank you for this!. I was trying to figure this out how factory trucks can come with different casters. I was trying to get someone who would tell me this very thing you did. I did not grasp that every factory shim would be zero and you would simply add one or two degrees worth. With A shim that fits every truck from like 2005. It made no sense to me in a way. I was trying to figure out were the caster that my truck has came from. You hit what I was trying to figure out on the head
Every truck is different then from the factory so need to add degrees to the angle or degrees on the factory shim whatever that may be . As shown on the factory shim.
I e
Mentioned previously that i have 3.2 on the left and 3.7 on the right as measured at the dealership before i picked my new truck 2 months ago.

I have this correct now?.

I have contacted what is a proper 4x4 shop and asked for a price to re shim and properly align the truck so it drives as it should. I should get that price tommorrow. I talked with 2 shops they both said same thing caster and proper alignment should be first
Factory truck alignments will be extremely close to the ones in front and behind of the others, as they come off the assembly line. Slight variations will happen, but they will all be in spec when they come out of the door.

Correct, your caster measurements are 3.2 and 3.7
The right side will be higher as this is what the truck favors for a nice line going down the road
My current caster is 4.7/5.2

Taking it to the shop is a good idea. Your gonna have ppl in the field checking the truck and letting you know if there is something simple and obvious that needs correcting. Hell, they may find a steering/suspension part. (New does not ever mean good).

My 2020 needed a drag link and end assembly with 9k miles on it. Now with 50k, I've replaced those parts a total of 3 times (all under warranty). Next time I will go aftermarket

Crazy the factory stuff is junk sometimes. I chased front end parts failing in my 2017 seems for several years. Always drove straight that one but would get noises and clunks from the front end from time to time.
Dealer had to replace my steering shaft twice in the 84k. Miles i had the truck.
Still liked that truck though

Crazy the factory stuff is junk sometimes. I chased front end parts failing in my 2017 seems for several years. Always drove straight that one but would get noises and clunks from the front end from time to time.
Dealer had to replace my steering shaft twice in the 84k. Miles i had the truck.
Still liked that truck though
Have you chosen a shop to bring it to yet?

I'll say it again,

This all seems like logical and good advice, but for me it would have been a waste of time and money. We all seem to get that Tremors have minimal caster and the steering is consistently poor with lots of wandering. I knew my toe was pretty good because I got 67,000 miles from the original tires. I also rotated them regularly and they were wearing evenly. I watch my tire pressures carefully and have experimented with different pressures. I will not allow out of balance tires. There was no play evident in the system. Numerous people are having the same issue and fixed it with caster shims. My steering wheel was still centered as new. And I can do the work myself, as far as parts changing, but not careful alignment. If caster shims are installed correctly, there should be no effect on toe (unless the original shims were rotated to compensate for another problem) The decision was how much caster to add. 2 degrees is common. Ford spec doesn't mean much because they have it wrong to begin with. And the difference between the standard F350 and the Tremor trailing arms is certainly not more than 2 degrees. 1 degree seems too cautious, 2.5 degree seems excessive. 2 degrees seems like a good starting point. So that is what I installed. This has reduced the wandering to virtually zero and held eliminate some feedback from rough surfaces. The rough surface improvement is undoubtedly also helped by the addition of the dual steering stabilizers done at the same time. The caster change has also slightly increased the effort to turn the wheel in corners because it wants to return to center harder than before. It's clear that everything is a compromise. I suspect Ford lifted the front of the Tremors, but did not upgrade the alignment specs accordingly. Just guessing here. But here, the improvement far outweighs the original problem. I'll probably get an alignment when I get the next set of tires, or if I begin to notice any abnormal wear. It is also interesting that Ram, which has an identical front suspension design, has eccentric adjusters on their trailing arms that mount the front axle. It would be so much simpler to adjust a Ram caster angle, but those arms might cost a dollar more to make. The only possible downside I see is that it rotates the entire axle and changes the driveline Ujoint angle, instead of just rotating the knuckle.

I spoke to a fellow near me that was recommended by a reputable shop also near me.
Im in CT
Best of luck friend, i hope they get it just how you want it.

Ok im about ready to give up. I spoke toa shop guy. He told me the only way to adjust my caster on my 2 month old truck is to replace the radious arms. You cant just change the caster bushings as t you dont know what there is for factory caster bushings.

Heck i ordered new tires. Getting them put on tommorrow. Lets see what that does. I figured out that my new truck has more caster than my 2017 did and that 2017 drove so good but i know its not a perfectly even comparison.

He told me the only way to adjust my caster on my 2 month old truck is to replace the radious arms.

The guy is somewhat right. It’s not the only way, but it’s a better way. As one member of the forum who actually knows his shit wisely said: “Caster Shims are a $75 band aid to a $1,600 problem.” …meaning the radius arms.

Knowing that i have the same MY truck as you, and having had a previous gen truck where i experimented with 3, 4 and over 5 deg of caster, i can tell you confidently that this gen truck from factory does not need any more caster. Your problem was never caster to begin with, it’s something else, maybe the duratracs, but i doubt it. Good luck with the new tires.

The guy is somewhat right. It’s not the only way, but it’s a better way. As one member of the forum who actually knows his shit wisely said: “Caster Shims are a $75 band aid to a $1,600 problem.” …meaning the radius arms.

Knowing that i have the same MY truck as you, and having had a previous gen truck where i experimented with 3, 4 and over 5 deg of caster, i can tell you confidently that this gen truck from factory does not need any more caster. Your problem was never caster to begin with, it’s something else, maybe the duratracs, but i doubt it. Good luck with the new tires.
Thank you. I'll post the results . I should know fairly soon after they are mounted.

you should get your baseline alignment numbers. and go from there.

i bet this is 100% true: "...I suspect Ford lifted the front of the Tremors, but did not upgrade the alignment specs accordingly..."
i am confident the same camber/caster sleeves are used on the tremor/non-tremor axles

Latest Discussions

Back