New Map Update!

So I got home where my truck would connect to wifi and scanned for updates and one was available, it’s currently downloading, but I have no idea if this is the mapping update or simply a Sync software update??? Any ideas?

I just attempted the update, same error code as previously reported. LST_ER05.
Was your license file 4U5T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ by chance? If so, then I'd imagine the real file will be a CE.

To those that are attempting OTA map updates... I am not sure if that works or not but remember the map update is approximately 11.5GB compressed. The WiFi and OTA updates are going to download at around 20Mbps if your lucky which would take about 2 hours of uninterrupted downloading in a best case scenario. If there are any retries due to checksum/hash errors it will be significantly longer.

I am one of the unlucky folks that has never had an OTA or WiFi update work correctly in any of the last 4 vehicles I've had so I gave up. I am jealous, seriously, of those of you that are able to successfully receive things this way.

Was your license file 4U5T-14G424-CD.TAR.GZ by chance? If so, then I'd imagine the real file will be a CE.
Yes that’s the license file exactly. Also my download over wifi had some sort of interruption after drinking beer in the garage and letting it sit idling for 30min. Checked on it after a neighbor stopped by and it stopped the download.

To those that are attempting OTA map updates... I am not sure if that works or not but remember the map update is approximately 11.5GB compressed. The WiFi and OTA updates are going to download at around 20Mbps if your lucky which would take about 2 hours of uninterrupted downloading in a best case scenario. If there are any retries due to checksum/hash errors it will be significantly longer.

I am one of the unlucky folks that has never had an OTA or WiFi update work correctly in any of the last 4 vehicles I've had so I gave up. I am jealous, seriously, of those of you that are able to successfully receive things this way.
I refuse to spend the $40 to buy fords USB.

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with support from the case I created with them. He sent me an email and asked that I send him a screenshot of the files I have loaded on the thumb drive. I also let him know that this seems to be a widespread issue with the Ranger and whatever solution he provides me will be disseminated to this forum. He was surprisingly excited to hear that, lol.

I emailed him with the requested info and I await his response.

Just maybe figured it out. It isn't the license file that is bad this time. They updated the license file to CD from CC but unless you are on the newest current version of sync for your vehicle the map files that you download won't change from 19 Q1 2nd Release even though the license file will. So, I called and finally got to somebody that understands programming/technology and this young lady verified that. Their system still shows that I am on stock version of sync even though I am on the latest.

I use CyanLabs which does not automatically generate the log file to upload and verify to Ford. Since I am on the latest 3.4.31194 I am going to go back out and generate the log file to upload. For those of you that use CyanLabs or updated to 3.4.x or whatever is the latest for you, CyanLabs has a nifty little utility that will generate the proof log file you need to upload back to owner.ford.com to verify. Once Ford has verified then a new map file should be generated for you to download again! Weeeeee! I am going to test this now and see if it is the case.

Just got an email after uploading the log file to verify 3.4.21194 that had a new link in it. I feel that this step is absurd given the craptastic builds Ford has released for Sync 3.4.x. Some people found a version that works perfect for them and want to stay on it but would also like updated Nav. Well, here you go... hopefully this link works for you to get the updated maps. I use the MS Link Protection so that is included in it as you can see. If it does not work, please let me know and I'll find the root link and post it to try. Please note, this file should work with the CD license file you already downloaded.

Last edited:
Downloaded the Sync update and the Maps. Updated to 3.4.21194 first and it went smoothly - and for the first time ever, the log file successfully was recognized by the Ford website. Expanded the Maps files to the USB drive and copied the license into the syncmyride folder and it also appears to be updating correctly. About 15 minutes into the estimated 1 hour.

The maps updated completed in 1 hour 8 minutes. I guess they fixed the issues as of this afternoon.

Ed

Last edited:
Downloaded the Sync update and the Maps. Updated to 3.4.21194 first and it went smoothly - and for the first time ever, the log file successfully was recognized by the Ford website. Expanded the Maps files to the USB drive and copied the license into the syncmyride folder and it also appears to be updating correctly. About 15 minutes into the estimated 1 hour.

The maps updated completed in 1 hour 8 minutes. I guess they fixed the issues as of this afternoon.

Ed
Yessir. I got an email response from the IT guy who was handling my case. Not only did he email me a link for a new (better, more acurrate) download, but they also updated the website for fresh downloads with the correct files and license keys. I already copied over to my USB and its installing now. I'll throw another update on here at completion, but at this point all signs seem to be headed in the right direction.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Well this is interesting...

The update went as expected - no hiccups and all was successful. The odd thing is my software versions did not change. Then, I went to the gas station to grab some beer and when I got home and the truck connected to WIFI, it started downloading this update. I certainly didn't expect that. I guess we will see how it goes. I checked and the file extension ending in CAJ was not included on the download from Ford's website, so I guess SYNC 3 could just be installing what it thinks the USB flash drive was missing.

I DID notice however that after the initial map update, the nav display is different. When a turn is coming up the display switches to split screen. I don't remember it doing that before, but I could be wrong. I mostly use Apple Carplay for maps, music, podcasts, calls, and texts.

IMG_5408.JPEG

I understand the update can be done via WiFi... Iam currently at a New KOA Campground with very good Wifi... Do I have to leave my truck "Running" (idling) the entire time in order to download? Thanks!🇺🇸

I understand the update can be done via WiFi... Iam currently at a New KOA Campground with very good Wifi... Do I have to leave my truck "Running" (idling) the entire time in order to download? Thanks!🇺🇸
No but it does need to be on but not idling!

No but it does need to be on but not idling!
In order for Sync 3 to be running, I need to leave the key "On".. I shut down the idle and left the key on (No Push Start).. after about 30 mins, it showed "Save Batt" and shut everything down... Uggh! NO more Update...

Back