New Driver's Door Lock Mod (Theft Protection)

TheJ2020

Tremor Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 7.3L King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2022 Expedition Max Limited Stealth Performance
Stumbled across this on Facebook. Never seen this before.

Anyone have any opinions on this as a deterrent? Apparently there's two different options - one with the keyhole still available and the other with it blocked off completely.

20220122_161922_large.jpg
20220122_162015_large.jpg

From the seller's website:

Commonly asked questions and statements:

Q. "They can just break the window"

A. They can try.. these trucks have a plastic layer in between the glass (Acoustic laminated glass) just like your windshield, it won't just shatter and fall apart.

Q. "They can just push in the lock cylinder"

A. Not with this part in place, it sits on the body of the door lock assembly, it won't push through.

Q. "They can still manipulate the lock"

A. No. This part, even if they broke the screw, would still spin in place.

Q. "They can still get in my truck if they wanted to, there are other ways"

A. Correct, there are other ways, this part prevents the most common break in method on these body style trucks.

Q. "They can just remove the screw and remove the part"

A. The thief will first have to break off the door handle then unscrew it, this is unlikely and they won't be prepared for that task.

When a thief approaches your truck and pulls on the handle to gain access, this part is completely visible and a great visible deterrent.

Your chances of the truck being ignored for the next one, goes up considerably, when this part is installed.

Interested in hearing people’s thoughts! I like this option for a cheap and quick added layer.
That was my initial reaction as well. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

The lock cylinder is definitely a weak link, but here in South Central Texas I know of now 3 instances super duty trucks were broken into by making a small hole in the driver window at bottom right corner near the lock pull and using a sharp instrument to pry the lock pull up, thus unlocking the truck. The 3 trucks I am speaking of DID NOT have the driver door cylinders removed. Apparently this method has become more popular with the thiefs.

I will add that in the 3 incidents I am speaking of the trucks were targets of contents theft.

interesting, i like it. i was thinking about just removing linkage inside the door but then lose key access in emergency battery situation. with this and full block off cap, if battery does die just take the time to remove to access functional keyhole.

That's super interesting. How do folks feel about leaving the key hole accessible?

Seems like the main vulnerability was the outside of the lock cylinder, not the key hole itself. Keeping the key hole accessible saves me all the work of wiring in a backup battery so I can't be stranded outside of my truck somewhere.

Interesting, but I can't imagine it would be any more difficult to just rip it off w the same pair of channel locks a thief uses to actually break the lock cylinder. Extra steps, yes...maybe that's all the deterrent needed. 🤷‍♂️

I think it would be better if they had some kind of security screw, because taking off the handle is quick and easy, then just unscrew the screw and they’re good to go. However, that does take way more time than they are used to. This is a heck of a lot easier than the jimmy jammer stuff for sure. If we could find a small security type screw, this would be a great option. I will probably still do this, as it’s one more inexpensive easy deterrent, but I will think about a way to secure the screw more. Tempted to even consider stripping it so that it really can’t be easily removed. There’s one risk on my part there, if i ever have to do any key cylinder/handle repair (potentially) but I like this concept

That's super interesting. How do folks feel about leaving the key hole accessible?

Seems like the main vulnerability was the outside of the lock cylinder, not the key hole itself. Keeping the key hole accessible saves me all the work of wiring in a backup battery so I can't be stranded outside of my truck somewhere.
That’s exactly what intrigued me about this solution!

I think it would be better if they had some kind of security screw, because taking off the handle is quick and easy, then just unscrew the screw and they’re good to go. However, that does take way more time than they are used to. This is a heck of a lot easier than the jimmy jammer stuff for sure. If we could find a small security type screw, this would be a great option. I will probably still do this, as it’s one more inexpensive easy deterrent, but I will think about a way to secure the screw more. Tempted to even consider stripping it so that it really can’t be easily removed. There’s one risk on my part there, if i ever have to do any key cylinder/handle repair (potentially) but I like this concept
I haven’t seen any proof, but the guy who posted this on Facebook said that it comes with a security screw. Guess we will see!

Edit: Nevermind, after some more research I don’t think it does. I will probably add one myself or wait until someone on here figures out one that works haha!

Last edited:
I ordered without the keyhole. Debated but figured if my battery dies it is easy enough to take the handle off and unscrew. Figured it may be a visual deterrent as well to not see the keyhole.

I haven’t seen any proof, but the guy who posted this on Facebook said that it comes with a security screw. Guess we will see!
I think it would be better if they had some kind of security screw, because taking off the handle is quick and easy, then just unscrew the screw and they’re good to go.
This was my first thought. I may order one and, if it doesn't come with a security screw, do my own research...

Back