New Dream Rig; ATC 2917 Game Changer Pro Toy Hauler

Did you actually happen to get a pin weight on the 4023? I have a few trailers I'm hoping to consolidate into a single, do-it-all ATC. It would need to serve for regular camping trips, sometimes with a 4-Seat RZR + bikes, and handful of times per year with a track car.

The 2917 would have been ideal, but is a few inches shy of fitting the track car due to the cabinet locations. If it were 1ft longer, it would be the perfect trailer for our needs, but I digress. The 36' 5th wheel is also too small of a garage for the car and is a non-starter.

The 4023 is, of course, perfect. It would fit the track car, even behind the movable partition wall. My other half fell in love with it at the dealer.

My 350 Tremor is a gasser, so I have some extra payload (3,900 lbs) compared the the diesel trucks. Per CAT scale, with me + her + kid + full fuel I have exactly 3,500 lbs left to give.

Add for a 5th wheel hitch itself, and I'd be exactly spot on with what the "brochure" pin weight is supposed to be, unloaded, with genset (3,300lbs or 3,000 without gen). I'm figuring that loading either the rzr or the track car in the rear should help with the pin weights, but I'm afraid I'm right on the ragged edge of being overloaded.

Local dealer had one but wouldn't let me hitch it up to take to the scales, just continued to reaffirm the "your truck is a beast and can pull this bad boy no problem" nonsense.

If it's just too much trailer, I'm back to looking at a 2823, which pretty much torpedos my whole sales pitch to the family who doesn't want to give up the camp trailer for a "traditional" toy hauler with no dedicated front bedroom, so I'll probably just end up with a cheaper Stealth Nomad or similar instead.
You will definitely be overloaded with pin weight. The "empty" pin weight is optimistic. By the time you load all your camping gear, water tanks. Propane, etc. It wouldn't be any fun towing.

I guess it’s going to have to be a DRW F450 converted to super singles!

Yes, I’ve pretty much written off the 4023 for my SRW. They just don’t make what I want in a weight that works for my 350 Tremor, which I’m not ready to part with.

Did you actually happen to get a pin weight on the 4023? I have a few trailers I'm hoping to consolidate into a single, do-it-all ATC. It would need to serve for regular camping trips, sometimes with a 4-Seat RZR + bikes, and handful of times per year with a track car.

The 2917 would have been ideal, but is a few inches shy of fitting the track car due to the cabinet locations. If it were 1ft longer, it would be the perfect trailer for our needs, but I digress. The 36' 5th wheel is also too small of a garage for the car and is a non-starter.

The 4023 is, of course, perfect. It would fit the track car, even behind the movable partition wall. My other half fell in love with it at the dealer.

My 350 Tremor is a gasser, so I have some extra payload (3,900 lbs) compared the the diesel trucks. Per CAT scale, with me + her + kid + full fuel I have exactly 3,500 lbs left to give.

Add for a 5th wheel hitch itself, and I'd be exactly spot on with what the "brochure" pin weight is supposed to be, unloaded, with genset (3,300lbs or 3,000 without gen). I'm figuring that loading either the rzr or the track car in the rear should help with the pin weights, but I'm afraid I'm right on the ragged edge of being overloaded.

Local dealer had one but wouldn't let me hitch it up to take to the scales, just continued to reaffirm the "your truck is a beast and can pull this bad boy no problem" nonsense.

If it's just too much trailer, I'm back to looking at a 2823, which pretty much torpedos my whole sales pitch to the family who doesn't want to give up the camp trailer for a "traditional" toy hauler with no dedicated front bedroom, so I'll probably just end up with a cheaper Stealth Nomad or similar instead.
I would not get a 2823 - while it gives you the room - it means when traveling, to have access to a bed, you have to unload - not ideal.

The 4023 is ideal for your needs. I did not get the actual pin weight - but with my 1.5" lift and softer rear springs, I felt like the trailer would be in charge. I think with your set up and something in the rear, you will be legal, but I agree with you - a condition of purchase would be a trip to scales and test drive around town to confirm what it weighs empty and how it tows. The GVWR of the 4023 is 21,000, which is max for your truck, but still legal.

So really gets down to how does it tow and is it the right set up. The layout is ideal and maybe your next truck would be a dually and an improvement for towing it. But until them you could be legal and could manage your towing and safety by keeping the pace in check.

GLWD!

Last edited:
I would not get a 2823 - while it gives you the room - it means when traveling, to have access to a bed, you have to unload - not ideal.

The 4023 is ideal for your needs. I did not get the actual pin weight - but with my 1.5" lift and softer rear springs, I felt like the trailer would be in charge. I think with your set up and something in the rear, you will be legal, but I agree with you - a condition of purchase would be a trip to scales and test drive around town to confirm what it weighs empty and how it tows. The GVWR of the 4023 is 21,000, which is max for your truck, but still legal.

So really gets down to how does it tow and is it the right set up. The layout is ideal and maybe your next truck would be a dually and an improvement for towing it. But until them you could be legal and could manage your towing and safety by keeping the pace in check.

GLWD!

Yes, that's been the hold up. We usually do a few multi-day drips and sleep in the trailer en route. Having to unload the car and toys would be a PITA.

Unfortunately, the 2917 doesn't quite fit, and the 4023, when loaded, is likely too heavy on the pin. But, I'll see if I can find another dealer who will let me go scale it so we can find out for sure. So far, I can't seem to find anyone on the interwebs that has a real world pin weights for this trailer. ATC was no help at all other than to recommend a dually for their triple axles (accurate, in most case).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get a 4023 on the scales, but will be surprised if it isn't overloading me.
So, next best option is going to be a gooseneck from Sundowner (or similar) with living quarters, in the ~36-38ft range.

Thanks for the info!

Back