Negotiate the price when ordering?

I just traded my 13 raptor in to dealership they give me $35,000 and I ordered a 2020 f250 Tremor with the 7.3. The owner of the dealership told me it was a good time to buy the Tremor because ford is going to change the price from $3600. to $7500. for the Tremor package by the end of the year.

I just traded my 13 raptor in to dealership they give me $35,000 and I ordered a 2020 f250 Tremor with the 7.3. The owner of the dealership told me it was a good time to buy the Tremor because ford is going to change the price from $3600. to $7500. for the Tremor package by the end of the year.

Ohhh...... not a good comment to see. I paid $5000 Canadian for the Tremor package but a boost like that means it will be $10,000. This means order takes for the Tremor are huge and the exposure at the pre-production shows was very favorable and FORD marketing are rubbing their hands together. I will watch this out of interest. I have seen/been duped by the scare tactics of: "its the last one we can't get more","price for sure going up buy it now", "I could sell this 2morrow for sure to someone else" etc.

I would hope Ford does not do this as keeping the package affordable is important. JEEP JT/JL up here has seen greatly reduced sales due to fact they are way overpriced. The new Gladiator sits languishing on the lots here at their price point. Poor timing with the looming recession and the ubiquitous reduction in sales numbers to follow in 2020.

How are you guys able to negotiate a good price when ordering the 2020 model? I've noticed the 2019 F250s are seeing about $5000-$8000 off of MRSP.

Are you able to get any discount on a new Tremor? Thanks!
owner of the dealership said incentives will come out for the 2020 f250-f350 that will apply for Tremor. it's not a special order like the Raptor it is just a package like the fx4. the incentive could save me another $2,000 to $5,000 the dealership owner said

Good question @trailwolf - I believe these trucks will be in demand once released and I don't see dealerships offering deals right out of the gate. I'm sure we'll see some crazy good deals on the 2019s

The cost of a vehicle is dynamic and fluid. Clearly no high cost dealership in business can remain in business by selling their items at or near cost. $100 over invoice on a $65,000 truck represents a profit of 0.134% profit margin. No one can do business doing that margin . Unfortunately the vehicle market is a smoke and mirrors process where if you harp and beat the drum on over invoice they may let this slide IF you buy insurance, use their financing, undervalue your trade, or purchase accessories. ALL dealers will hover around a 3-4% margin on the total bill of sale, excluding limited availibity (read Ford GT, Challenger Hellcat, etc.)
Biggest issue is the trade value. I am a realist and when I deal I say OK special interest vehicle, just coming out, fine........ but do NOT try and screw me on the trade or worse some douche dealers have said to me sell your vehicle yourself you will get a better price WTF??? That is their job! I immediately drive away from them and have traveled many miles for an honest deal.

Maybe this will help someone get a decent deal. I was able to get around 10% off MSRP or around 8% if you count the three $570 discounts for the Tremor with the Sport, Ultimate, and Tow packages ($1,710 total) and the $500 incentive. MSRP was 82,835 and negotiated price was 74,000. I have access to X-plan but this was better than that alone by a good bit. If the incentives get better before delivery I'll get those as well.

Ford has package discounts for most packages. I ordered the Lariat ultimate, sport, and tremor packages. Each had a $570 discount off MSRP ($370 each off invoice). I purchased the vehicle through Costco and got the truck at dealer invoice plus the above package discounts. Additionally, if you're a current Ford owner they have a $2000 "coupon" toward the purchase of a new vehicle. Not sure how you get that coupon. Ford contacted us and mailed it out a few months ago.

There are many ways to ensure that you get the deal you want when buying a new Ford vehicle. Ford has a Partner Recognition Vehicle Pricing with several organizations that give you X plan pricing when you join as a member. DAV ($230 for lifetime membership) , EAA ($40 annual membership), Mustang Club ($25 annual membership) and other many other organizations all provide this pricing advantage. This alone personally saved me over $5200 of MSRP of my 2020 Tremor. So a membership to a Ford Partnered organization that could cost you as little as $25 annually to join can give you a good start on lowering a new vehicle price. X Plan also limits the amount that dealer can add as Dealer Fees to your deal.

Then there are PCOs (private cash offers) that Ford sends out to prospective buyers. These are stackable with X Plan, rebates and Ford vehicle incentives. You can get these sent to you in either email, real mail or sometimes they will pop up (make sure to enable popups on your computer) on websites as a Ford advertisment. PCOs are controlled by a third party marketing company but the following are many ways to enhance the odds of receiving a PCO.

- You can call Ford Marketing Corporate office at (800-334-4375) to get on the mailing list. Ask them specifically about getting on the PCO list
- Get a Ford consumer ID by registering at https://owner.ford.com/.
- Request brochures from Ford.com
- Have a Ford Pass account
- Join Ford-trucks.com and follow the PCO threads (educate yourself)

By combining the X Plan pricing, PCOs, Ford Cash Incentives, and Ford rebates you can purchase the truck you want at the very beginning of the model year for the same price as year end clearance prices. Doing a little homework can actually save you $1000s off of current pricing.

When everything was added together it saved me over 11% ($9200) off MSRP on my Tremor purchase. Almost a free 6.7 power stroke option.

All of these discounts come out of Fords pocket, not the dealerships. My dealer still made his full 3% of invoice hold back. When I bought my F350 6.7 Lariat Ultimate Sport Tremor last week none of the Lariat multiple package ($570 ea) discounts were eligible on a F350. Maybe that will change later this year.

Last edited:
I really don't negotiate much when ordering. I simply ask what's the best price they can offer me. If it's a price I find reasonable, based on my research, I pull the trigger. With that said, I have developed a good relationship with a salesman at my local dealer, which probably helps. For the Tremor I ordered, the MSRP was $77,055. The dealership offered it to me at $1,000 below invoice, plus whatever incentives are available when the truck arrives. Thus, my price was 70,410, less any incentives available. I also lease, which may factor into the price they offer me.

My understanding is that dealerships make more money (bigger rebate from manufacturer) on a vehicle the quicker it sells. So when ordering, there should be a bit more wiggle room since the vehicle is selling pretty much instantly.

One of these days I'm going to get a job at a dealer just to see the real profit margins. I just ordered today and got 1000 below invoice not including incentives. I tried to get into the kick back the dealer gets from Ford. He said that was not even going to be in the negotiating discussion. So riddle me this, if I'm at 1000 under invoice... isn't that getting into the kick back then? There must be some wiggle room in there... I just wish I knew what it was.

Last edited:
Anything below invoice and you start dipping into the dealers what they call holdback which amounts to 3% of the total msrp. I’m in jersey and every dealer I’ve dealt with hasn’t had a problem with offering trucks for invoice plus all the holdback.

I had 3 dealers "bidding" on the truck i wanted to order.
The beauty of that is you can get that truck anywhere, and they know it.
I did it all by texts and e-mail. I went to the dealer to sign once we agreed on a price.
I had them quote "out the door" prices with all fees and taxes included.
The one dealer offered $1000 over invoice at the start.
I got about $4500 off that price in the end.
MSRP on my truck as built on Ford.com was $82,270 USD, before tax.
I paid $67,059 for it; out the door, all fees and taxes included.
($63,866 before tax).

I had 3 dealers "bidding" on the truck i wanted to order.
The beauty of that is you can get that truck anywhere, and they know it.
I did it all by texts and e-mail. I went to the dealer to sign once we agreed on a price.
I had them quote "out the door" prices with all fees and taxes included.
The one dealer offered $1000 over invoice at the start.
I got about $4500 off that price in the end.
MSRP on my truck as built on Ford.com was $82,270 USD, before tax.
I paid $67,059 for it; out the door, all fees and taxes included.
($63,866 before tax).
You sure the dealer didn’t sell you a used SD? LOL! I’m calling BS on those numbers. If I’m wrong, I’ll run the maple leaf for a front plate.

No way that getting $4500 off of a dealer asking price of $1000 over invoice resulted in $15,211 off of MSRP. More than likely those numbers include some interesting versions of math converting Canadian & US Dollars. Could be wrong, who knows?

I got mine at invoice minus 3% holdback, but the dealer added a $299.00 doc fee. Not including the $500.00 rebate, if it goes up I get more rebate ( or less if its off). I need to get one of those $2,000 rebates in the mail.

I purchase trucks for our business and I doubt a dealer would offer $15,211.00 off a $82 K vehicle. But you never know maybe the dealership is having financial problems and needs cash flow. I purchased a 2007 Corvette from a dealership and got a huge unbelievable deal on it ( was in showroom floor so it was inventory) two months later the dealership went out of business.

The reality is there is a math error of some type. Wonder if the dealership made the math error on the order if they will honor the price upon delivery???

So I have a long time friend in the business. His family had been in the dealership game for around 50 years. Bottom line, they don’t make all that much on the initial sale. They make there money in service. XPlan is the way to go. My truck came out to be 82,000 and change and I’m paying 75,500. That excludes rebates. So when you negotiate they will say, “we can’t predict what rebates will be offered. Etc....”. So work the deal excluding rebates. Become a member of the Mustang Club for 60 days or if you have a family member or even a friend who works for Ford and you’ll get a deal that looks just like mine.

Trucks are cheaper in Canada for whatever reason.
Most of our good used diesels go south to be sold.
Go to Ford.ca and build a truck and you'll see.
My truck as built on Ford.ca was $97,504, CAD .
At today's exchange (on google) that's $73,359 USD
Same truck on Ford.com is about $82,500 USD
So that's $9140 USD cheaper already.

I got 13.3% off the CAD msrp, and paid $84,525 CAD before tax, Which today is $63,594 USD.
82500-63594=$18,906
So to buy the same truck, for the same price in the US, you would need to get 22.9% off msrp ($18,906 USD off).
I paid $88,756 CAD out the door with all taxes (5%) and fees paid.
That's $66,777 USD as of today.

It's hard for us to find out the real invoice price up here, or i couldn't find it anyway.....so the dealers tell porkies about it.
The one dealer said they would try and make $1000 on a vehicle. I got eventually got my truck from another dealer for over $2000 off the lowest price went to. He figured the other dealer was pricing based on Ford employee pricing.....but said they didn't know what the pricing will be in a few months.
I bought from a large dealer that has many dealerships (5 i think), so I imagine that their price is lower per unit.
Also they were bidding against a dealer that they dislike, so that was maybe a bit more incentive.
I have bought my last 2 trucks this way. Gets me a pretty good deal : )

But all those numbers are correct.
I have no reason or interest in misleading anyone.
Happy shopping!!

Back