Need your opinions. 2023 Tremor vs 2022 Platty now!

I went with the diesel but would have been totally fine with the 7.3L I am sure. I really wanted the diesel this time around so I splurged. Had a 2019 6.2L and didn’t want to regret not going with the diesel again. Very happy with my choice and while I have not had the 7.3 as a comparison, I would say the $8k upgrade is worth it now that these trucks are $80k+. Not too concerned about the maintenance costs as I won’t drive more than 8-10k miles a year with it. You can always buy a new 2023 later, but you won’t be able to buy a new 2022 for much longer.

Based on the mileage I do and the type of driving I’m actually thinking the diesel might be worth it anyway. I appreciate all your response, this forum is great!
If you don’t mind the current diesel prices or the extra maintenance I’m sure you will be more than happy with it. Other than using a diesel treatment every fill up and some extra filters maintenance is not that bad. I came from a tundra, no way I was going back to that kind of gas mileage.

Just my .02 mind you, I’ve had diesels for nearly 20 years and once or twice I tried to go back to a gasser and it lasted maybe 10 months before kicking it down the road for another diesel. Again jmo but IF I were to own a 7.3 it would have to have a Whipple or pro-charger on it

OMG, the people who are trying to scare me off about the diesel. You would think I just purchased my own death sentence. I understand the complexity of these engines but I honestly don’t see why it is so hard to care for. Fuel additives, def, fuel filters and oil changes…what’s the big deal if you simply stay on maintenance. I’m getting an extended warranty …just like I would have done if it was a gasser.

Last edited:
OMG, the people who are trying to scare me off about the diesel. You would think I just purchased my own death sentence. I understand the complexity of these engines but I honestly don’t see why it is so hard to care for. Fuel additives, def, fuel filters and oil changes…what’s the big deal if you simply start on maintenance. I’m getting an extended warranty …just like I would have done if it was a gasser.
Lol it isn’t a big deal at all been doing it nearly 20 years (strictly diesels) on these new ones I throw an ounce of hot shots secret edt per half tank of fuel, oil/filter change every 7500 with synthetic, fuel filters every 15k and keep the air filter clean. Omg it’s soooo hard lol

It really doesn’t matter to me what’s towed or not. I enjoy and prefer the diesel.
#agree

At the same time, I am one of those people who likes having more than I need most of the time.

Ever driven the 6.7? If not, go test drive one. Guaranteed you’ll get the diesel after that
I would have to give the caveat with towing that would be more the case but not so much empty. The gas makes a more sporty nose when aggressively driving but with the traction control stuff the extra torque can’t really be noticed that much in my opinion. Get a bit of weight behind both of them and they aren’t even in the same class. The 7.3L does surprisingly well for what it is with 14K in tow but no comparison to the 6.7L when accelerating with the same weight. The Tremor platform isn’t capable of enough weight to really see what the 6.7L is capable of in my opinion.

As for the maintenance between the 2 isn’t a huge difference in my opinion, the 6.7takes more oil and just have to deal with the fuel filters which are not a big deal in my book.

I’ve personally been soured on the diesel with issues so find it extremely easy to drive the 7.3L after driving my friends 6.7L. With that said I fall outside of the normal personal use cases that will likely not see the issues I have experienced, but something to consider if you are on the low use case. For a high number of personal use applications the 6.7L is a great reliable option.

For the OP congrats and enjoy your new truck.

Last edited:
Back