Need help: SDHQ A-pillar mount & Baja Designs LP4 install

funnyman3000

Snowflake
Reaction Points
Military
US Army
Current Ride
2021 F250
I finally have all the pieces, but the install is looking intimidating. I have to give it a try because the $436 the local off-road shop quoted to install is robbery. The BD LP4s didn't come with great instructions, and I know I will have to at least modify the main harness since I'll be using upfitter 1 and won't need the relay or switch. The SDHQ mounts came with more thorough instructions but seem like a tight fit. I already looked up and found that the upfitter cables are under the fuse box on the passenger side instead of driver side where they used to be for previous models. Any other tips?

Has anyone seen any good install videos? I found a few videos but they are mostly being installed on Ford Raptors which I'm sure has some differences.

1612213417706.png

Sounds to me you’ve got it covered. Mount them, wire hot to upfitter 1 and ground to ground. Done..

I finally have all the pieces, but the install is looking intimidating. I have to give it a try because the $436 the local off-road shop quoted to install is robbery. The BD LP4s didn't come with great instructions, and I know I will have to at least modify the main harness since I'll be using upfitter 1 and won't need the relay or switch. The SDHQ mounts came with more thorough instructions but seem like a tight fit. I already looked up and found that the upfitter cables are under the fuse box on the passenger side instead of driver side where they used to be for previous models. Any other tips?

Has anyone seen any good install videos? I found a few videos but they are mostly being installed on Ford Raptors which I'm sure has some differences.

View attachment 15925
I had the LP6 installed from the dealer. They hooked it up to 3 switches. There’s a dim function that takes up a switch. Plus only 2 of the 6 lights up for like a low bright light. Then the third switch for all 6 lights for an insane amount of brightness. I love it. But I want to see if I can have the the final like an orange glow get turned on with my running lights. I ride with that LP6 glowing every time I ride my beast. So I hit that switch all the time. I also put my lights on in the daytime to have my roof lights on and I love the killer look. So see if you can get the dimmer to turn on with the running lights or use a switch. Looks badass glowing. IMO. Adrienne on here was installing BD light bar and said she didn’t know what the green wire was for. Someone explained that BD has that for the dimmer light. You may want to look up by her thread. I don’t remember which one it was. Good luck and post pics my man. ???????

@funnyman3000 You might want to reach out to BD. I think you still use the relay, but NOT their switch, you use your upfitter to trigger the relay. Also, you have to modify the plug that goes into the LP 4 housing if you want the Amber lighting to come on.
Thats what I’ve seen looking at their schematics, as I’ve been shopping their lights as well.

Dan check out the LP6. I wish I can convince more people how insanely awesome these are. Some people would want to be the only one to have something so cool. Not the IRON DUDE. I’m just so impressed with the LPs. Can’t go wrong.
So you dont believe it can be wired to the running lights (like the roof lights are) it needs to be wired to a switch. That’s the only down side of the way I have mine set up. It takes up 3 switches. I was hoping to free 1 up by seeing if it can be wired to running lights for the amber glow.
Dan you the freakin Man ??????
Don ?

Thanks Brother. Again you the MAN ???????

@Iron Man - They do look killer on your truck bro! I'll bite the bullet and get them at some point. I plan to do some surf fishing with the Tremor at Island Beach State Park in the sping and fall. Those lIghts would be great for that!

It’s a must for everyone. Big John I need to meet up with you my friend and brother. For Mother F#%^ing Sure Brother Man
???????????????✌️✌️✌️

@funnyman3000 You might want to reach out to BD. I think you still use the relay, but NOT their switch, you use your upfitter to trigger the relay. Also, you have to modify the plug that goes into the LP 4 housing if you want the Amber lighting to come on.
Thats what I’ve seen looking at their schematics, as I’ve been shopping their lights as well.
Good call on keeping the relay.

I had the LP6 installed from the dealer. They hooked it up to 3 switches. There’s a dim function that takes up a switch. Plus only 2 of the 6 lights up for like a low bright light. Then the third switch for all 6 lights for an insane amount of brightness. I love it. But I want to see if I can have the the final like an orange glow get turned on with my running lights. I ride with that LP6 glowing every time I ride my beast. So I hit that switch all the time. I also put my lights on in the daytime to have my roof lights on and I love the killer look. ...
Unlike the LP6, I don't think the LP4 has a high/low so that takes away the need for the 3rd button. I do believe it has the amber glow, which I would really like to make linked to my headlights as well. It does look better with the roof marker lights being the same orange.

It has a whole separate set of instructions for that part and it looks like a 2nd set of wires run to the back of each light in addition to the main wire harness. I just have to figure out which fuse to use to get power from headlights.
1612249668064.png

1612250171908.png

Awesome Sauce. Good luck ???????

Good call on keeping the relay.

Unlike the LP6, I don't think the LP4 has a high/low so that takes away the need for the 3rd button. I do believe it has the amber glow, which I would really like to make linked to my headlights as well. It does look better with the roof marker lights being the same orange.

It has a whole separate set of instructions for that part and it looks like a 2nd set of wires run to the back of each light in addition to the main wire harness. I just have to figure out which fuse to use to get power from headlights.
View attachment 16038
View attachment 16039
You are correct. The LP4 does not have the High/Low option. It only has one output setting and a backlight setting.

Here’s the link to the wiring instructions as well as a quick pic of the relay and plug.

Attachments

• C897E36E-6AEF-4286-A2A9-E69A8EE8A684.jpeg
    C897E36E-6AEF-4286-A2A9-E69A8EE8A684.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 5AEF85F6-D188-4FC5-BC07-AFFEE8F60AA7.jpeg
    5AEF85F6-D188-4FC5-BC07-AFFEE8F60AA7.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 62
@funnyman3000 - BTW you can also just tap into your running lights or just a switched 12v source if that would make it easier to find a source in your fuse box.

I know the OP said the quote from a local shop to install these was $436 which was high for the OP. But this is a fair quote assuming that it's about 4 hours of work + misc shop fees. Seems this shop probably has done this work before and knows how much a PITA this job can be.

Our shop has done these installs (LP4/LP6/LP9s) several times and the install time is usually anywhere from 4-5 hours including all the wiring work to the upfitter switches. If you don't have upfitters then this would take longer. Overall this job is definitely not just a simple light install.

Why so long?... well the SDHQ mounts are really nice but they have assembly time and the space you're working with in the corner of the hood area is tight so you're not able to work fast.... wiring takes a bit of time including modifying the BD wiring harness to work w/ the Tremor upfitters... cowl disassembly (without breaking the clips)... hiding the wiring.... connecting to the upfitters.... testing/troubleshooting and proper light alignment.... and cowl re-assembly and cleanup...it all takes time to do it right also without not scratching your paint on the hood and side panels.

To be fair to us "honest" installers, there's a ton of stuff we do for customers that customers don't see and often times the time quote we provide is on the light end of things. We often underestimate time/labor efforts to not sticker shock customers on labor rates and eat the lost time on jobs. It's part of the business.

I know the OP said the quote from a local shop to install these was $436 which was high for the OP. But this is a fair quote assuming that it's about 4 hours of work + misc shop fees. Seems this shop probably has done this work before and knows how much a PITA this job can be.
He had quoted the labor at 3 hours but at $140/hour (which is what I thought was high). I've seen corporate lawyers charge less than $140/hour.
Either way, I'll give it a shot over the weekend and even if I just get halfway through and they only charge me for the light wiring I'll be happy. So far I've seen people use masking tape/sharpie marks lines to assist in lining the hood back in place, and having an assistant hold the hood so it doesn't shift much once you take the bolt out.

Back