Need Help... issues with these towing hammerlocks

ghstrider

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 XLT Diesel TREMOR
First Responder
Police
Hey guys i picked up some 12k lb hammerlocks from amazon to use to attach my emergency tow clips for my boat trailer to my hitch but for the life of me i cannot push that pin thru. im hammering it against the ground just trying to see if i can seat the pin in the coupler a bit and nada.... so im about to return em and look for a tough and easier but similar alternative that i dont have to hammer against stuff to get it to work. Ideas?? heres what i got and im looking for something as strong as well and 1/2 inch also.

Attachments

ftchmup

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Rapid Red Tremor
C clamp, worked. Wiggle them to allign them, is a pain in the A$$.....

1591583015913.jpeg

OP
G

ghstrider

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
First Responder
Police
seems like the same thing. i aligned mine and hammered away and nothing. Looking for something i dont have to hammer against my hitch.

Jakebrake

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 f250 tremor
I've read all about the different devices people are using to address the giant tow chain loops. Wouldn't it be easier & safer to just buy new hooks for your trailer chains?
well, Yeah...if You can find some. that's the problem. my camper, and, the new one i'm picking up have hooks with too short of a throat. i picked up a set of shackles that loop through. worked like a charm.

OP
G

ghstrider

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
First Responder
Police
nah... i really wanna have either some form of hammer locks hanging or some large clip type loops hanging so that it makes it easier to attach to.

hopefully someone has an idea for some alternative to these hammerlocks that do the same function and are as strong but are way easier to put on.

Thanks

Whyte Rhyno

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
Current Ride #2
1974 F250 Highboy
What about a threaded quick link?

Jakebrake

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 f250 tremor
Screenshot_20200610-113105.png

I went with something along these lines. These are not the exact ones that I use, but they look sort of like these. Work like a charm.

sroemmich

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
well, Yeah...if You can find some. that's the problem. my camper, and, the new one i'm picking up have hooks with too short of a throat. i picked up a set of shackles that loop through. worked like a charm.
Bingo

Lite

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Lariat 6.7
Current Ride #2
2014 Porsche Cayman S

ftchmup

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Rapid Red Tremor
I have a few Different trailers I tow, the “tapometer and weasel pee“ : one and done.......
just me......

forcebwu19

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 6.7 Lariat Ultimate Sport
Current Ride #2
1979 VW Rabbit (Golf) diesel, 1955 Chevy Belair
I've heard allot about the difficulty of hooking trailer chains to the hitches on these trucks. I know my old F250 was difficult but doable (similar to the video posted above, it took a special technique). To make it easier on my new truck I was considering buying a pair of these and putting them on my chains. Thoughts?

They would be over rated for my trailer by several thousand pounds, so should have plenty of headroom for safety.

Mountain Man

Founding Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
I've heard allot about the difficulty of hooking trailer chains to the hitches on these trucks. I know my old F250 was difficult but doable (similar to the video posted above, it took a special technique). To make it easier on my new truck I was considering buying a pair of these and putting them on my chains. Thoughts?

They would be over rated for my trailer by several thousand pounds, so should have plenty of headroom for safety.
I wouldn't trust Harbor Freight products with anything important that could take a life. A failed trailer safety chain could do just that. I still do not understand the fuss about this. I have 4 trailers big and small and all of their hooks install and uninstall perfectly fine following the process shown in post #9. Just try it before you go buying other solutions, especially Harbor Freight crap.

NuclearDan

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 XLT Tremor
Current Ride #2
2006 F350 dually, 2004 6.0 Excursion, 1999 F350 7.3, 1996 F250 gas
Ditto on Harbor freight crap and any other Chinese cheap crap! Just because it works does not mean it will work!
The hammerlock clevis needs to be pushed in, using c-clamp or ball joint tool. You cant get a solid swing if you try to hammer it through while on the truck.

Mgmack

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Miltary
USMC and Army, retired
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Lariat Sport Tremor 6.7L
Current Ride #2
2016 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R (wife’s car)

I have to agree with the two posts before this, beware of anything from Harbor Freight or PRC!

RickLB

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Miltary
Retired Army
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Platinum Tremor
Our Lance TT has hooks with safety clips and work fine!