Need advice..on towing. Trying to get my ducks in order.

DIY10-85RAY

Tremor Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor
First Responder
Retired MOS
I need some advice. Try to get my ducks in order on Setting up my tow hitch. I pick up a pair of Rhino USA D ring 3/4 shackle with the 7/8 pin.
IMG_1825 copy.png

The problem is that the opening doesn't aligned properly. I want to use this type of system for the safety chains. I”m not a fan of the hammerlocks system. I'm new to towing and want something safe, EZ to use and not cheaply made. I'm towing with a F350. any suggestion.

Last edited:
I need some advice. Try to get my duck in order on Setting a my tow hitch. I pick on a pair of Rhino USA D ring 3/4 shackle with the 7/8 pin.View attachment 9644
The problem is that the opening doesn't aligned properly. I want to use this type of system for the safety chains. I not a fan of the hammerlocks system. I'm new to towing and want something safe, EZ to use and not cheaply made. I'm towing with a F350. any suggestion.
Did you try inserting the pin to see if it will connect?
I believe the shackles on my truck have a 7/8” pin and they work, they just don’t “swing“ freely but they do work.

Did you try inserting the pin to see if it will connect?
I believe the shackles on my truck have a 7/8” pin and they work, they just don’t “swing“ freely but they do work.
Yea, I did. It wouldn't go in. I already send it back. I order a different pair. Will try again. I want a 3/4 size D ring.

I need some advice. Try to get my duck in order on Setting a my tow hitch. I pick on a pair of Rhino USA D ring 3/4 shackle with the 7/8 pin.View attachment 9644
The problem is that the opening doesn't aligned properly. I want to use this type of system for the safety chains. I not a fan of the hammerlocks system. I'm new to towing and want something safe, EZ to use and not cheaply made. I'm towing with a F350. any suggestion.
You could always try smaller 5/8 shackles.

The ones I ended up with were 5/8", but that was just because they were the only ones the Tractor Supply store had two of at 9AM on the day I was trying to leave (with my trailer). The particular 5/8" shackles I purchased barely fit, similar to your photo but with just enough room.

@DanMan583 says his are 7/8", so... Maybe there's different designs on the material thickness around the pin through hole & threads, I guess? But, if those 3/4" that you're showing aren't working, I'd be inclined to think that the 5/8", which appeared to me to be about the largest that would work, might be the way to go.

One disclaimer...after seeing a post by @IceSoldier88 about Rhino USA not actually being USA made, I looked into the website a little more and he is dead right. They “design and engineer” in the USA but their stuff is from “foreign sources.” Not sure if it matters to anyone or not, but I agree with the Iceman that their name and website are surprisingly misleading. Check out the link above from @JC_Tremor and you will be able to see some American ones if you are interested.

The ones I ended up with were 5/8", but that was just because they were the only ones the Tractor Supply store had two of at 9AM on the day I was trying to leave (with my trailer). The particular 5/8" shackles I purchased barely fit, similar to your photo but with just enough room.

@DanMan583 says his are 7/8", so... Maybe there's different designs on the material thickness around the pin through hole & threads, I guess? But, if those 3/4" that you're showing aren't working, I'd be inclined to think that the 5/8", which appeared to me to be about the largest that would work, might be the way to go.
Thanks..good information.

I don’t have the same size opening that you do. What brand are those D-ring? IS that trailer hitch on a Ford F-350? I was looking to have the same setup like that.
I have the F-250 with the 6.7. That gives me the 3” receiver. I have a bulletproof 8” drop hitch in 3”. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have the F-250 with the 6.7. That gives me the 3” receiver. I have a bulletproof 8” drop hitch in 3”. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Yea, I didn’t get a 3’ hitch. I got a 2 1/2“ Hitch. So that was the problem. the 3/4 D-ring do not fit a 2 1/2 hitch. Thanks for the information. Now I understand the problem.

You could always try smaller 5/8 shackles.
Yea, I think that is the best solution. I have a 2 1/2 size hitch so the 3/4 d-rings will not fit. If I had a 3” hitch then it wouldn’t be a problem. Thanks for the help.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Because of your suggestion I know what was the problem. I have a 2 1/2 hitch. So the 3/4 D-ring will not fit in the chain support holes. If I had a 3’ hitch it wouldn’t be a issue. The F-350 should have came with the bigger hitch in my opinion. I didn’t think of it when buying the truck. Food for thought.

One disclaimer...after seeing a post by @IceSoldier88 about Rhino USA not actually being USA made, I looked into the website a little more and he is dead right. They “design and engineer” in the USA but their stuff is from “foreign sources.” Not sure if it matters to anyone or not, but I agree with the Iceman that their name and website are surprisingly misleading. Check out the link above from @JC_Tremor and you will be able to see some American ones if you are interested.

I 100% agree!!! Unless you are buying a US made, rated, tested, certified, and stamped shackles such as Crosby, you are risking the safety of others. China/foreign made rigging lacks the quality of metal used and have substantially higher failure rates. There is a reason they are not certified and stamped accordingly. You need to ensure you are complying with WLL (working load limits) and not relying on failure rating, which are often faked to begin with. Any reputable company that does heavy lifting/rigging will tell you to stay away from the foreign junk and refuses to use it. Do yourself a favor and buy top quality rigging when safety is involved. Buy once, cry once. ?

Last edited:
I 100% agree!!! Unless you are buying a US made, rated, tested, certified, and stamped shackles such as Crosby, you are risking the safety of others. China/foreign made rigging lacks the quality of metal used and have substantially higher failure rates. There is a reason they are not certified and stamped accordingly. You need to ensure you are complying with WLL (working load limits) and not relying on failure rating, which are often faked to begin with. Any reputable company that does heavy lifting/rigging will tell you to stay away from the foreign junk and refused to use it. Do yourself a favor and buy top quality rigging when safety is involved. Buy once, cry once. ?
I totally agree with you. Will be looking for the Crosby D rings. Thanks

Yea, I didn’t get a 3’ hitch. I got a 2 1/2“ Hitch. So that was the problem. the 3/4 D-ring do not fit a 2 1/2 hitch. Thanks for the information. Now I understand the problem.

I am pretty sure all of the Tremors (F250 and F350) come with the 3” hitch and a 2 1/2” insert to fit the smaller shank. The leaf pack, rear differential and larger Class V hitch are the same across the Tremor packages.

Back