My truck was almost stolen! (Again)

Can you post a picture of the hood latch gaurd? The biggest problem I still need to address is the horns, the wires are easily exposed and harness can be easily unplugged. My horn shield didn't work as they just cut my wires along with the camera in the process. I've heard of people relocating the horn but I don't know where.

When I get mine installed I'll also post a picture of it.

I'm hoping to move in the next couple of years. I have a 4 car garage but I can't fit the truck in it because one bay has a 2 post lift that cuts in in half, the other side has a boat and all my junk in it. It's also just a hassle to just drive the truck that way.

Here is the Hood Latch Gaurd I had installed today.

Attachments

• 20210414_130426.jpg
    20210414_130426.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 245
Here is the Hood Latch Gaurd I had installed today.
Good idea but I'm not sure how useful it is considering the horns are so susceptible to being cut which just leads to opening the doors with no one noticing.

So far, and in no particular order I have identified the following vulnerabilities and remediations.

1. Horn wire expose through grill -weld square hollow steel tubing to prevent cutting.
2. Windows easily broken - install 3m Scotchshield security film.
3. Door lifting to insert jimmy stick - investigate adding small lip to primary vectors on three of four doors
4. Driver side lock tumbler exposed - swap out with passenger side handle lacking manual lock.
5. Keyfob signal repeating - nothing yet, known Raptor vulnerability - move fuse location.
6. Kill Switch - install ravelco.

I haven't looked at the hook lock or handle plate yet.

It is just a matter of time before they come into your house to get the keys. You may survive. Get armed to make sure you do.
Don't worry, they are in for a treat!

So far, and in no particular order I have identified the following vulnerabilities and remediations.

1. Horn wire expose through grill -weld square hollow steel tubing to prevent cutting.
2. Windows easily broken - install 3m Scotchshield security film.
3. Door lifting to insert jimmy stick - investigate adding small lip to primary vectors on three of four doors
4. Driver side lock tumbler exposed - swap out with passenger side handle lacking manual lock.
5. Keyfob signal repeating - nothing yet, known Raptor vulnerability - move fuse location.
6. Kill Switch - install ravelco.

I haven't looked at the hook lock or handle plate yet.
What are vectors? How do I know if my truck has them?

So some of you may remember back in September that my truck was almost stolen. Well, it happened again but this time there is more damage. I woke up to find a message from fordpass saying my hood was opened and the alarm went off at 2:58 AM, the message only came at 5:30 AM because of all the tampering on the truck, this is exactly what happened last time. When I went to the truck I found a whole mess of things wrong, the first thing I noticed was the mirror puddle lights and spot lights were taped off, there was also a ball of tape on the ground. In the bed was a couple of rags with tape all around them which I assume was to cover the bed lights and it fell off. The hood and front doors were left partially open to not make sound but I immediately noticed the doors won't latch. My drivers door lock was still damaged from the last time but for some reason they punched it instead of simply turning the lock. They also broke my passenger window for some reason. On the inside my center console was left open and center tray removed for the hope of a spare key. Now to the real bad stuff, last time this happened they removed all the trim covering the Fuze panel/BCM on the passenger side to try and program a new key on the spot. This time they actually unplugged the whole Body Control Module and tried to perform a swap. They left my BCM laying on the carpet with a whole mess of wires. After the last time I built a shield to prevent them from unplugging the horn again, this time they cut the wires through the grill which also got into the camera wires. Under the hood they disconnected the 3 main harnesses going into the firewall and removed a positive lead off the battery and took the nut that holds it down. After filing a police report (which will do nothing) I proceeded to examine the BCM to make sure it wasn't damaged and that it was actually mine. Luckily it was all good and I managed to plug everything back in and find a nut for the battery, the truck fired right up with no hiccups. I then removed the grill to fix the horn wires, that's when I discovered that the camera wire had been cut too which I can't repair. It's like a wire inside a wire. I fixed the horn and threw everything back together. Hopefully I can get the harness for the horn and camera and it's relatively easy job (I doubt it) It would be much appreciated if any of you guys could find the part number for it. There are 2 reasons they weren't able to drive the truck away. The most likely one is because of my ravelco kill switch which kills fuel and starter. It is ran into the main harness and it basically impossible to defeat. The other possibility is that the BCM is not for a 2020 which I'd assume wouldn't be compatible, even if it was correct they wouldn't have gotten away. All in all I still have the truck and it's going to need a few hundred dollars in immediate repairs for the harness and glass. The door handle is going to be a few hundred bucks including a new lock cylinder then it would need to be painted. These guys seem to have tried every trick in the book on this truck and were completely unsuccessful. Hopefully this means they give up. That doesn't mean I'm not upping my security though. Before you ask, I don't have cameras and it's not in a well lit area.

Here pictures of everything View attachment 13770View attachment 13769View attachment 13768View attachment 13771View attachment 13772View attachment 13773View attachment 13774View attachment 13775View attachment 13776View attachment 13777View attachment 13778
They just tried to steal our truck while on vacation in San Antonio, TX 2 weeks ago. Twisted the driver's door lock cylinder & looked for a key in the "secret key storage place", I'm glad I didn't leave one in it. Tossed everything on the passenger seat & floorboard, took nothing. Saw on YouTube guys replaced the driver's door handle unit, with one from the passenger side - won't work on ours. What my mechanic friend at the dealer and I came up with was to take just the handle from the passenger side (not the whole assembly), replace the driver's handle with it = no key hole / cylinder to twist, and use a rubber body-plug to fill the hole. He also removed the rod as it would be just rattling around, not being connected at the top to a cylinder. The keypad on the door, key buttons, as well as the internal buttons all work to lock & unlock the truck. Bought a steering wheel lock to slow them down next time, and keep paying my insurance premiums! ?

They just tried to steal our truck while on vacation in San Antonio, TX 2 weeks ago. Twisted the driver's door lock cylinder & looked for a key in the "secret key storage place", I'm glad I didn't leave one in it. Tossed everything on the passenger seat & floorboard, took nothing. Saw on YouTube guys replaced the driver's door handle unit, with one from the passenger side - won't work on ours. What my mechanic friend at the dealer and I came up with was to take just the handle from the passenger side (not the whole assembly), replace the driver's handle with it = no key hole / cylinder to twist, and use a rubber body-plug to fill the hole. He also removed the rod as it would be just rattling around, not being connected at the top to a cylinder. The keypad on the door, key buttons, as well as the internal buttons all work to lock & unlock the truck. Bought a steering wheel lock to slow them down next time, and keep paying my insurance premiums! ?
I have several of these placed around the ranch yes they go off when deer or an animal pass the barrier but I'm OK with this. So far no human intruders but it's also nice to know when someone is coming down my 3/4 mile driveway or has opened a gate close to the house.

Just ordered Jimmy Jammer and will order Ravelco tomorrow.
That thing is a steal at $650 and to my eyes fool proof, unless
you lose your plugs!

I've almost got more aftermarket stuff into this rig in only 2 weeks
than the MSRP! ?

edit:

Dammit, forgot the hood latch guard! :mad:
Will rectify toute de suite! $12 more shipping is worth it.

Last edited:
Dangit that’s it I’m buying the jimmy hammer kit ,relocating the horn, and get some stainless steel cable armor for the front camera. I’ve been debating what to buy next and I think it’s just the better option. Yeah they can always smash a window but it will at least be less appealing.
I'd rather every window be broken than a non replaceable wiring harness, I got so lucky!

Dangit that’s it I’m buying the jimmy hammer kit ,relocating the horn, and get some stainless steel cable armor for the front camera. I’ve been debating what to buy next and I think it’s just the better option. Yeah they can always smash a window but it will at least be less appealing.
I posted on this earlier in this thread where I listed several points of failure to be addressed. The window solution you're looking for is 3m Scotchshield.

It costs the same as ceramic but is a more obscure product so choose your installer carefully.

Also, I've never heard of a jimmy hammer kit; there are Jimmi Jammer door plates, which is probably what you meant. I've also purchased a front and rear set. I recommend taking the system one step further by deleting the exposed tumbler and replacing the handle with a passenger front. That removes a vulnerability but introduces another, however the lack of a physical tumbler fell within my risk tolerance limits because I was able to mitigate it by also installing a NOCO Genius GENPRO10X2 battery maintenance solution with external connection mounted under the rear bumper. You should know that there are several more remediation steps you can implement to prevent the theft. However there is one that is known for the Raptor which I have not been able to verify on the Tremor yet. Once I do, I will be posting a detailed write-up on hardening the Superduty Tremor against most reasonable threats. While I am focused on the prevention of theft, I also intend to make the entry as difficult as possible so as to deter all but the most dedicated would- be thieves.

Just ordered Jimmy Jammer and will order Ravelco tomorrow.
That thing is a steal at $650 and to my eyes fool proof, unless
you lose your plugs!

I've almost got more aftermarket stuff into this rig in only 2 weeks
than the MSRP! ?

edit:

Dammit, forgot the hood latch guard! :mad:
Will rectify toute de suite! $12 more shipping is worth it.
Sorry for back to back posts but the hood latch guard is supposedly only for 17-20 Superduties without the towing package - though which package is not specified. If you do invest that $30, please post it's compatibility with 21+ vehicles... Also, Ravelco certainly jumped in price. It was $400 installed not even two years ago. I understand that there aren't many options in this space, and I will be purchasing one myself. But... The Ravelco technology hasn't changed since it's introduction decades ago and real wages have not increased 50% since 2018, so, to me the price increase feels opportunistic and I instinctively dislike that.

I feel like if they're going to jack prices up that much, the least they could do is get rid of that 1990's grey and offer a black version of that ridiculous plug. Better yet, they could invest $1.50 into R&D and develop a solution with a modern form... Certainly a USB-C form factor offers more connection options than the current pin system and is just as easily wireable - it is certainly more carry friendly.

But you know, why not follow in the footsteps of industry greats like MySpace, BlackBerry, and Palm Inc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Right?

Last edited:
I got my Jimmi Jammers today ordered all 4 doors and and hood latch. I will replace the drivers door handle with a passengers one if the truck does not have the keyless sensors in the handle if it does I will pull the cylinder and put the plug that come in the kit. And I have not even goten my truck yet ordered my truck on March 19

Latest Discussions

Back