My truck was almost stolen! (Again)

While I like the thought of removing the key hole (or disabling it), I don’t think I would be OK with being locked out because of a dead battery.

I wonder if there’s a way to move the lock cylinder to a non-obvious place, maybe lower down and out of the way, so that the door can be opened with the key, but your average thief would be stymied? Probably wouldn’t be a simple change, though.

While I like the thought of removing the key hole (or disabling it), I don’t think I would be OK with being locked out because of a dead battery.

I wonder if there’s a way to move the lock cylinder to a non-obvious place, maybe lower down and out of the way, so that the door can be opened with the key, but your average thief would be stymied? Probably wouldn’t be a simple change, though.
With enough money, I suppose anything is possible, though I don't see how. As I said, I purchased a permanent battery maintenance system for the engine bay and a residential plug adapter under the rear bumper ensuring that as long as you have access to the electrical grid, the battery will be constantly maintained for longevity and health, and may be charged without having to open the hood while being electrically isolated from any potential surge attack.

This setup goes just about as far as a solution can to ensuring dead batteries are not a problem, and easily overcome if they occur. Depending on your model and specific use case, it might be advisable to perform a master reset of your vehicle to disable the telemetry functions via the ford connect modem. That modem serves to feed Ford's data collection program and in exchange offers you remote start, lock and unlock, and GPS location via the FordPass app. If you don't want the app, deactivating that modem will remove the persistent parasitic drain the system puts on the battery - thus greatly extending it's life.

In that case, you are left with two ways to access the vehicle without using the coat hangar method (which I have a solution for as well) 1. the proximity of the fob, and 2. The keypad on the door.

Last edited:
They just tried to steal our truck while on vacation in San Antonio, TX 2 weeks ago. Twisted the driver's door lock cylinder & looked for a key in the "secret key storage place", I'm glad I didn't leave one in it. Tossed everything on the passenger seat & floorboard, took nothing. Saw on YouTube guys replaced the driver's door handle unit, with one from the passenger side - won't work on ours. What my mechanic friend at the dealer and I came up with was to take just the handle from the passenger side (not the whole assembly), replace the driver's handle with it = no key hole / cylinder to twist, and use a rubber body-plug to fill the hole. He also removed the rod as it would be just rattling around, not being connected at the top to a cylinder. The keypad on the door, key buttons, as well as the internal buttons all work to lock & unlock the truck. Bought a steering wheel lock to slow them down next time, and keep paying my insurance premiums! ?
TonyJ, the same happened to me see my post from April 5th, same city. I removed the lock cylinder and put everything back , I added some plastic plugs to cover the lock hole and key hole. I can post some pics if you want to see them. All my doors are keyless just need to make sure I replace the battery before it dies. The lady in the hotel front desk told me that it happens a lot in the city. I didn't mean to press the like button on your post please disregard. Good luck!

I posted on this earlier in this thread where I listed several points of failure to be addressed. The window solution you're looking for is 3m Scotchshield.

It costs the same as ceramic but is a more obscure product so choose your installer carefully.

Also, I've never heard of a jimmy hammer kit; there are Jimmi Jammer door plates, which is probably what you meant. I've also purchased a front and rear set. I recommend taking the system one step further by deleting the exposed tumbler and replacing the handle with a passenger front. That removes a vulnerability but introduces another, however the lack of a physical tumbler fell within my risk tolerance limits because I was able to mitigate it by also installing a NOCO Genius GENPRO10X2 battery maintenance solution with external connection mounted under the rear bumper. You should know that there are several more remediation steps you can implement to prevent the theft. However there is one that is known for the Raptor which I have not been able to verify on the Tremor yet. Once I do, I will be posting a detailed write-up on hardening the Superduty Tremor against most reasonable threats. While I am focused on the prevention of theft, I also intend to make the entry as difficult as possible so as to deter all but the most dedicated would- be thieves.
Yup Jammer stupid autocorrect. I’ll be just installing the plug kit after I pull the tumbler. The hope doesn’t bug me me. Oddly enough I was looking at that 3m stuff for my house. Good idea with the external power source for a dead battery. Also I was planning to keep an extra fob battery tucked away just in case I’m in the middle of BFE with nowhere to get one and by chance the battery is also dead in the truck.

With enough money, I suppose anything is possible, though I don't see how. As I said, I purchased a permanent battery maintenance system for the engine bay and a residential plug adapter under the rear bumper ensuring that as long as you have access to the electrical grid, the battery will be constantly maintained for longevity and health, and may be charged without having to open the hood while being electrically isolated from any potential surge attack.

This setup goes just about as far as a solution can to ensuring dead batteries are not a problem, and easily overcome if they occur. Depending on your model and specific use case, it might be advisable to perform a master reset of your vehicle to disable the telemetry functions via the ford connect modem. That modem serves to feed Ford's data collection program and in exchange offers you remote start, lock and unlock, and GPS location via the FordPass app. If you don't want the app, deactivating that modem will remove the persistent parasitic drain the system puts on the battery - thus greatly extending it's life.

In that case, you are left with two ways to access the vehicle without using the coat hangar method (which I have a solution for as well) 1. the proximity of the fob, and 2. The keypad on the door.

Are you using something similar to this?
Schumacher Fully Automatic Direct-Mount Under-the-Hood Battery Charger/Maintainer with Battery Detection - 1.5 Amp, 6V/12V - for Cars, Motorcycles, Lawn Tractors, Power Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07894CFCR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D62QEBXMMRN1SHRW3Z3K

I’m sorry, but you remind me of a friend of mine. He’s had a couple of vehicle thefts and breakins over the years from his driveway while his garage is full of junk. But at least he only has a one car garage. Your truck isn’t experiencing vehicle theft attempts. More like failed donations. What do you figure is the ratio of the value of your junk in your 4 car garage to your truck?

I’m sorry, but you remind me of a friend of mine. He’s had a couple of vehicle thefts and breakins over the years from his driveway while his garage is full of junk. But at least he only has a one car garage. Your truck isn’t experiencing vehicle theft attempts. More like failed donations. What do you figure is the ratio of the value of your junk in your 4 car garage to your truck?
Well my 4 car garage is taken up by my shelby cobra, a 2 post lift which makes it impossible to store the tremor on the other side so I have 2 Harleys there. On the other section I have my '79 seacraft boat that I bought new plus all my truck parts and miscellaneous stuff. I'm keeping the boat forever so I care for it pretty heavily. I have a massive party tent outside on a concrete slap that I'm storing the tremor on. Everything is locked up so I'm not too concerned, I also have cameras now. At the same time if the truck does end up being donated I'll have an excuse to get a new raptor?

Well my 4 car garage is taken up by my shelby cobra, a 2 post lift which makes it impossible to store the tremor on the other side so I have 2 Harleys there. On the other section I have my '79 seacraft boat that I bought new plus all my truck parts and miscellaneous stuff. I'm keeping the boat forever so I care for it pretty heavily. I have a massive party tent outside on a concrete slap that I'm storing the tremor on. Everything is locked up so I'm not too concerned, I also have cameras now. At the same time if the truck does end up being donated I'll have an excuse to get a new raptor?
I mean yeah though the Tremor is “expensive” all of those seem to be higher sentimental value and in some cases also higher value ?. My wife was at first like just park the truck outside like your last one. My reply was so we will keep the $3000 civic and the $1500 van in the garage but the most expensive option in the driveway. She changed her mind after that ?.

Dangit that’s it I’m buying the jimmy hammer kit ,relocating the horn, and get some stainless steel cable armor for the front camera. I’ve been debating what to buy next and I think it’s just the better option. Yeah they can always smash a window but it will at least be less appealing.
yep, less appealing as they know if a cop sees them, they're getting pulled over.

Back