My Current View

The technique and art of applying science and geometry to measure land in its most accurate format indeed!

The oldest profession in the world that is slowly dying, not because it is a lost art, but with the technology and apps available nowadays, the average joe thinks he can figure this out with this cell phone or hand held gps, not knowing that there is more in human anaylysis than than just looking at a screen.

We are currently running Trimble GPS gear, one of the their latest models the R10 units.

For our conventional or total station instruments (theodlites), we have some Spectra gear, Topcon, and Trimble robotic units as well but ultimately GPS is the way to go when measuring large tracts of land.

Thanks for the love!
Thanks for the feedback!

I was around when Trimble Nav was just getting into the satellite launches. Worked for a rental company that supplied them some test equipment. They gave me a ceramic cup with their gps satellite on it and gold embossed. (Couldn't put it in the microwave) I dropped it on the lab floor one day. Still a very sad day for me. :confused: I also had an ashtray with Intel's original CPU etched into it, the 4004. That just disappeared one day. I didn't smoke so the ashtray was just a junk collector. (Screws, old ICs, etc.)

1715630256248.png

Thanks for the feedback!

I was around when Trimble Nav was just getting into the satellite launches. Worked for a rental company that supplied them some test equipment. They gave me a ceramic cup with their gps satellite on it and gold embossed. (Couldn't put it in the microwave) I dropped it on the lab floor one day. Still a very sad day for me. :confused: I also had an ashtray with Intel's original CPU etched into it, the 4004. That just disappeared one day. I didn't smoke so the ashtray was just a junk collector. (Screws, old ICs, etc.)

View attachment 156161
It's amazing how much technology has advanced since then and truly not too long ago in perspective.

We used to have to carry backpacks with cables tied to the GPS rover (the head unit) in which the batteries, radio, and other components were found in. Also, thinking back to then, having 6 satellites was a good day and assured good algorithms for accurate positions, while considering many other factors.

Of course that was then and now it's not uncommon to pick up 30 satellites from the various constellations available (although I still don't trust the Japanese constellation -- QZSS).

The technique and art of applying science and geometry to measure land in its most accurate format indeed!

The oldest profession in the world that is slowly dying, not because it is a lost art, but with the technology and apps available nowadays, the average joe thinks he can figure this out with this cell phone or hand held gps, not knowing that there is more in human anaylysis than than just looking at a screen.

We are currently running Trimble GPS gear, one of the their latest models the R10 units.

For our conventional or total station instruments (theodlites), we have some Spectra gear, Topcon, and Trimble robotic units as well but ultimately GPS is the way to go when measuring large tracts of land.

Thanks for the love!
You are Awesome thank you for what you do God has blessed you with an incredible talent.

T

Back