Redraider1803

Tremor Buff
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Military
USMC
Current Ride
2022 Carbonized Gray F250 Tremor
Howdy folks! New to the forum. Method didn’t provide any torque specs with my lug-centric 305NVs, so my ship torqued them to the factory spec of 165ft/lbs (they say the safe range is 150-165). Another well known shop claims they never exceed 120ft/lbs. internet research seems to show that the torque needs is based on the stud characteristics, not the wheel. What torque are y’all using?

don't torque them to 165, its too much. I did once and one of my nuts dis not want to come off and twisted on removal and had to be replaced. Others almost did the same but survived I now torque them to 140psi and check periodically, they never get loose. They are ok but i dont think they are as strong as factory lugs.

150 lb. Ft., as the manual states.
Screenshot_20230530-154946~2.png

FYI, A previous similar thread on Methods that may be of use:

That conversation also came back (in a somewhat circular fashion) to the factory spec.

FYI, A previous similar thread on Methods that may be of use:

That conversation also came back (in a somewhat circular fashion) to the factory spec.
But methods use differing lugs and the spec on those is all over the place as OP states. The manual refers to OEM lugs. I find that 150 but be a bit much for these and 165 caused me to twist lug. I wouldnt be surprised if 100-125 is within spec for them.

Bro send me your recipe for that pre-workout. If you are twisting a lug at 165ftlbs we need to bottle it. I've torqued a ton of stuff in my time, hell I've broken off bolts, I've stripped nuts, but damn I never twisted a lug.

1 out of 32 twisted. Maybe dirt got in during the 5k miles, cant say, but it happened.

Called method and they said “85-95” ftlbs based on a chart their engineers provide based on the thread type M14x1.5, even though ford says “M14x1.5 = 150ftlbs” on 2020+ and 165ftlbs on 2017-2019. Nothings easy lol.

Called method and they said “85-95” ftlbs based on a chart their engineers provide based on the thread type M14x1.5, even though ford says “M14x1.5 = 150ftlbs” on 2020+ and 165ftlbs on 2017-2019. Nothings easy lol.
85-95 lb. ft. seems awfully concerning, especially for a lug nut that doesn’t have a serrated torque retention washer like the factory ones.

A 6 lug F150 with duplex acorn lug nuts requires 150 lb. ft. as well, and that doesn’t have a torque retention washer.

Last edited:
85-95 lb. ft. seems awfully concerning, especially for a lug nut that doesn’t have a serrated torque retention washer like the factory ones.

A 6 lug F150 with duplex acorn lug nuts requires 150 lb. ft. as well, and that doesn’t have a torque retention washer.
My money is on the factory torque spec when using the factory wheel stud. Fastener equations, design rules, safety factor, FMEA, and testing have all been considered/completed. I have not seen the print, but would guess this joint is considered a controlled characteristic due to its impact on safety. If an aftermarket lugnut can't handle the OEM spec that would be concerning to me. I doubt Method has done equivalent testing at the reduced value to back their position - that is supposition on my part, however...

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ccw

I do 90 when tire is in the air, and then 140 on the ground. I’d be really nervous to leave it at 85 and drive like that.

Howdy folks! New to the forum. Method didn’t provide any torque specs with my lug-centric 305NVs, so my ship torqued them to the factory spec of 165ft/lbs (they say the safe range is 150-165). Another well known shop claims they never exceed 120ft/lbs. internet research seems to show that the torque needs is based on the stud characteristics, not the wheel. What torque are y’all using?
150 ft lbs with Method wheels and lugs. Rotate every 3,000 miles.

I've done 150 lb ft on my methods with gorilla lugs for 3 years and countless rotations. No issues

Thanks for all the feedback gents!

Back