Market Check

As long as no one in the family is over 4 feet tall ?
Definitely not as roomy as our super duty’s but they are great vehicles with a real axle in the rear. Not many suv left that are still trail worthy

The 4 runner is probably the best family suv made and still very off-road capable. It’s the only SUV I would consider buying.
Agree. When I saw the new gen 4Runner at the auto show, I said something along the lines of "Yuck, I will never buy one of those.", then I bought one a year later. Then I bought another (2012) one two years later (dealer gave me a sweet trade in of $2k less than what I paid OTD for the 2010). Then I traded that one in with 120k miles on it and a rear-end accident reported in CarFax for well over half what I paid for it.

My Dad had a 1983 Hilux and I was hooked. Then I bought a 1992 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD which I sold in 1998. I am glad to have a Toyota "truckish" vehicle again since 2010. They go anywhere!

Dealers jacking up msrp 10 grand. I hope they go out of business. Anyone is a fool to pay that.
$10k over msrp on used Tremors. More buyers than trucks creates this foolishness. Would you turn down $10k over offer on your house? I think not.

$10k over msrp on used Tremors. More buyers than trucks creates this foolishness. Would you turn down $10k over offer on your house? I think not.

I’ve heard of some home sellers taking a lower offer to sell to buyers who write them a nice letter explaining how they’ll love and cherish the home.

Maybe if you fellas write these dealers a pretty little letter they’ll sell to you at MSRP. ?

I could care less what someone pays for a used vehicle. My problem is dealers charging more than msrp on what the manufacturer sets the msrp at.

Homes are regularly bidding to 200k over asking in my area. Madness.
We have been looking for a bigger place for over 5 years now. Put in about 13 offers. Been beat by as much as $90k. We were the highest offer on one house but pretty sure they turned us down because we have VA funding and the lower offer was cash.

Everytime I have written a great letter describing our family, wife is a veteran, I am a born and raised in this city first responder.

Not a small single time do I think that letter made a difference.

We are entering some weird financial and societal times.

We have been looking for a bigger place for over 5 years now. Put in about 13 offers. Been beat by as much as $90k. We were the highest offer on one house but pretty sure they turned us down because we have VA funding and the lower offer was cash.

Everytime I have written a great letter describing our family, wife is a veteran, I am a born and raised in this city first responder.

Sure it hasn’t always been this way? As a seller I feel like the story of the buyer would sway me when all else is roughly equal on a competing offer.

e.g. If I had two cash offers for my house and one was maybe up to $10k less or 15 days longer to close, but I liked the buyers more, I would maybe take the slightly lower offer. But if there’s a bigger gap in the selling price or time to close I can’t honestly say story would sway me unless money was absolutely no object to me.

FWIW, there are a lot of companies that will help you increase the competitiveness of your offer (e.g. facilitating an all cash offer, rapid closing, taking the contingency risk, or cashing you out of your current home ahead of selling in exchange for some fee.) A lot of people in the Bay Area are leveraging those resources so it’s hard to compete unless you’re doing the same.

I could care less what someone pays for a used vehicle. My problem is dealers charging more than msrp on what the manufacturer sets the msrp at.
You fail at basic economics and it is hypocritical of you to expect someone else to take far less for an item than what someone is willing to pay.
Build a house brand new and put it on the market at $500k. You get three offers, $495k(no one should pay msrp/asking), $500k(msrp), and $700k(adm or current market value).

If a new vehicle will sell for $20k over msrp in a week, good for the dealer. If you won’t pay that good for you. Neither will I, for most 99% vehicles.

Imagine if you lived in a greedy capitalistic area?

Sure it hasn’t always been this way? As a seller I feel like the story of the buyer would sway me when all else is roughly equal on a competing offer.

e.g. If I had two cash offers for my house and one was maybe up to $10k less or 15 days longer to close, but I liked the buyers more, I would maybe take the slightly lower offer. But if there’s a bigger gap in the selling price or time to close I can’t honestly say story would sway me unless money was absolutely no object to me.

FWIW, there are a lot of companies that will help you increase the competitiveness of your offer (e.g. facilitating an all cash offer, rapid closing, taking the contingency risk, or cashing you out of your current home ahead of selling in exchange for some fee.) A lot of people in the Bay Area are leveraging those resources so it’s hard to compete unless you’re doing the same.
We are currently offering a 14 day close. Loan money is already lined up with no contingencies with 10% or more as cash (depending on the condition of the house).

One of our offers was $25k higher than the rest and they still went all cash. With that being said there are 5 homes for sale in our entire county that meet our buying criteria. Sub $1million, 2200 sq ft, 5 bedroom, lot over 6500ish sqft.

My friend facilitated one of those all cash offer deals and the home burnt down 2 days after purchase (wildland fire, nothing suspicious). He is now on the hook for immediate repayment of the the entire cash loan with insurance denying the claim. The land cannot be refinanced to the value of the loan so.....

I got a family I need to take care of I can't try some of the risky gimmicks that are out. We are looking for a bigger home, it's not an end of the world deal. But all new housing here is low income, tiny lot, high density. I would just assume that money is money for someone and the higher offer should hold up. That being said predicting what the highest offer is can just be a crap shoot around here. Doesn't matter what asking price is. The behind the scenes dealing that some agents engage in his upsetting. We have had agents reveal to us what the current offers were on the table in hopes of us making a higher offer and have also had the other end where our offer (the only one they had received) was told to other perspective buyers to influence a larger offer. I can't complain because it is a sellers market and the nature of the beast.
there.

You fail at basic economics and it is hypocritical of you to expect someone else to take far less for an item than what someone is willing to pay.
Build a house brand new and put it on the market at $500k. You get three offers, $495k(no one should pay msrp/asking), $500k(msrp), and $700k(adm or current market value).

If a new vehicle will sell for $20k over msrp in a week, good for the dealer. If you won’t pay that good for you. Neither will I, for most 99% vehicles.

Houses is not a fair comparison with something that is built on an assembly line and is more less a tool for a job that is known to depreciate and not last. I’m not debatíng real estate and vehicles but that is not the same item or subject at all. My point is a Ford dealer shouldn’t sale a truck for more than sticker price. They are somewhat an extension of the manufacture that sets a price. Even selling at sticker dealers are making a really nice profit and they should be concerned with long time customers. Calling someone a hypocrite must be easy to do sitting at your computer screen instead of looking a man in the eye face to face.

Houses is not a fair comparison with something that is built on an assembly line and is more less a tool for a job that is known to depreciate and not last. I’m not debatíng real estate and vehicles but that is not the same item or subject at all. My point is a Ford dealer shouldn’t sale a truck for more than sticker price. They are somewhat an extension of the manufacture that sets a price. Even selling at sticker dealers are making a really nice profit and they should be concerned with long time customers. Calling someone a hypocrite must be easy to do sitting at your computer screen instead of looking a man in the eye face to face.
Sell anything.

If you have 3 offers and one of those offers is more than you’re asking you are going to sell it for asking? Not a chance in hell. You will sell it to the highest offer. This is exactly what dealers do.

If there was one gallon of milk left and 100 families wanting that milk to feed their families. You don’t think the grocery store will sell the milk for ten+ times their asking price?

I will say if the dealer can not sell it for what the are asking that’s on them. I think I saw brand new viper gts sitting unsold for 3 years as the dealer wanted $50k markup. If people are willing to spend $100k on an item and dealer accepts nothing less than $120k making it sit for months/years on end it’s their loss not yours or mine.

Speaking of, I was looking at a 2dr JL rubicon when I ordered my Tremor. One of those jeeps is still for sale 12 months later, still asking the $2.5k off making it $51k. ?

Last edited:
We are currently offering a 14 day close. Loan money is already lined up with no contingencies with 10% or more as cash (depending on the condition of the house).

One of our offers was $25k higher than the rest and they still went all cash. With that being said there are 5 homes for sale in our entire county that meet our buying criteria. Sub $1million, 2200 sq ft, 5 bedroom, lot over 6500ish sqft.

My friend facilitated one of those all cash offer deals and the home burnt down 2 days after purchase (wildland fire, nothing suspicious). He is now on the hook for immediate repayment of the the entire cash loan with insurance denying the claim. The land cannot be refinanced to the value of the loan so.....

I got a family I need to take care of I can't try some of the risky gimmicks that are out. We are looking for a bigger home, it's not an end of the world deal. But all new housing here is low income, tiny lot, high density. I would just assume that money is money for someone and the higher offer should hold up. That being said predicting what the highest offer is can just be a crap shoot around here. Doesn't matter what asking price is. The behind the scenes dealing that some agents engage in his upsetting. We have had agents reveal to us what the current offers were on the table in hopes of us making a higher offer and have also had the other end where our offer (the only one they had received) was told to other perspective buyers to influence a larger offer. I can't complain because it is a sellers market and the nature of the beast.
there.

I’m mostly in northern Napa and southern Marin, but I’ll keep an ear out and let you know if I hear of anything. No inventory in my areas either. I am seeing more off/pre market sales than usual, but they’re also closing at 10%-15% more than I’d expect in most cases. Been this way for months now. And unfortunately Q1 materials prices and inflation have taken the custom build option off the table.

I’m hearing the city is coming back into favor and that market heating up again now that some normalcy has returned. Maybe that’ll open up some inventory in the north bay. ?

I’m mostly in northern Napa and southern Marin, but I’ll keep an ear out and let you know if I hear of anything. No inventory in my areas either. I am seeing more off/pre market sales than usual, but they’re also closing at 10%-15% more than I’d expect in most cases. Been this way for months now. And unfortunately Q1 materials prices and inflation have taken the custom build option off the table.

I’m hearing the city is coming back into favor and that market heating up again now that some normalcy has returned. Maybe that’ll open up some inventory in the north bay. ?
I appreciate the input. We are really looking to stay in a smaller area then I mentioned. Mostly looking at Cotati, Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, Windsor. Maybe Rohnert Park. We had a number of homes early on that we are now kicking ourselves for not being more aggressive about.

We did start lining up a build since there are a good number of empty lots on the market after the fires burned through. My friends who lost homes have been rebuilding for around $400/sq ft but that price creeped north and the cost of the lot and a modest home shot up over the $1 million mark.

We have been in a wait and see approach for awhile. I think we will soon see some movement in the market, just not in the most favorable way for the overall economy.

I know the market is absolutely nuts right now. Looking at what tremors are selling for even in the 2020 years I feel like I might as well wait a few months for the 2022 models and spend just as much for a brand new tremor! Any thoughts?

I know the market is absolutely nuts right now. Looking at what tremors are selling for even in the 2020 years I feel like I might as well wait a few months for the 2022 models and spend just as much for a brand new tremor! Any thoughts?

The best “deal” is still probably to find a dealer that will put in an X-Plan order for you, and then you wait for 6-12 months for it.

You're very unlikely find any 2022's on lots in the next few months at all, let alone in-stock 2022's going for below MSRP. And you're unlikely to find any used Tremor's at a reasonable price in the near future.

Back