Lug nut socket size and torque wrench suggestions…

1/2” torque wrench and a 21mm socket. That’s all you need. I wouldn’t put an impact on alumiduty lugs nuts, they are too soft and round out way too easily.

1/2” torque wrench and a 21mm socket. That’s all you need. I wouldn’t put an impact on alumiduty lugs nuts, they are too soft and round out way too easily.
13/16 fits like a glove. I used my impact without any issue. I wouldn't with a 21mm, though, there is too much slop...

Neither size fits these two piece lugnuts very well. They’ll swell with age and strip out after a couple of tire rotations. Like many, I replaced mine with a one piece lugnut so I won’t be stranded with stripped lugnuts on the side of the road

Neither size fits these two piece lugnuts very well. They’ll swell with age and strip out after a couple of tire rotations. Like many, I replaced mine with a one piece lugnut so I won’t be stranded with stripped lugnuts on the side of the road
Where could I find a one piece OEM style chrome lugnut to purchase?

Where could I find a one piece OEM style chrome lugnut to purchase?
Wheel Accessories Parts Set of 32 14x1.5 Lug Nuts fit Ford F-250 F-350 HCPZ-1012-B HCPZ-1012-A Wheel Lug Nut (Black) https://a.co/d/cRjAVKf

Here is a set of black ones. I bought the chrome version. They’re so much better than factory. As far as the finish lasting, time will tell. They’re still far better than the two piece

With the Black Friday deals I decided to put together an Impact wrench and lug nut socket kit to keep in the back of the truck for tire change emergencies. The lug socket set is very nice with plastic guards included, and they are extra long so you never need an extension. The kit includes sizes for most cars including the Tremor lugs. The 19mm middle size fits most passenger cars and camper lugs.

The compact 1/2" 12v Milwaukee impact wrench has amazing torque at 250 lb/ft, and with the included batteries would be capable of a full tire rotation without recharging. It all comes in a nice soft case that's just right for holding everything including the socket set and takes up about the same space as one of the standard sized battery impact wrenches. The kit stows nicely in the side corner of the bed.

https://www.northerntool.com/milwaukee-m12-fuel-cordless-stubby-impact-wrench-kit-1-2in-drive-250-ft-lbs-torque-2-batteries-model-2555-22-72955

1701122870946.png
1701123127723.png

1701122788951.png
1701123891841.png

This little impact is a beast, easily removes the lugs in a few seconds. I'll attach a link to this in the black Friday thread.

Last edited:
I'd take it a step further and say, never use an impact on anything that is intended to be torqued w/a hand tool, period.
Removal is another story but limit the tool's output if possible.

The nuts Ford uses on our trucks are jacketed and the outer shell is what deforms. It's pretty common w all manufacturers.

I've had to use a 6' iron pipe I keep around over my 3' breaker on tire shop "torqued to spec" nuts. That'll snap a stud if you're not careful.

I'd take it a step further and say, never use an impact on anything that is intended to be torqued w/a hand tool, period.
Removal is another story but limit the tool's output if possible.

The nuts Ford uses on our trucks are jacketed and the outer shell is what deforms. It's pretty common w all manufacturers.

I've had to use a 6' iron pipe I keep around over my 3' breaker on tire shop "torqued to spec" nuts. That'll snap a stud if you're not careful.
I had the exact same issue from my Ford garage. Three foot breaker bar, three foot pipe and my fatness jumping on it to break them loose. Glad I wasn't along the side of the road.

Best to ditch the oem lug nuts for a one piece design.
I have had the one piece black ones in my Amazon card for about six months. I think I will wait until my next service visit, so they can further destroy the OEM ones and then I'll change them out. My procrastination voodoo is strong.

I picked up this one after reading a lot of reviews. Icon is Harbor Freight's new line meant to compete with the tool truck stuff. It seems to be every bit as good as the tool truck stuff for a fraction of the cost. I don't use it but a couple times a year, so it will do just fine for me. I've been using an impact to "torque" my lug nuts for 25 years. I vowed to give up that habit on this truck.

Good idea to give up that habit, unless you have the torque limiting extensions. The modern trend seems to be to do everything with power tools and that is not torquing properly, as you know. I even found a guy building Harley engines with an impact. Sheesh. Recently had a trailer hitch break off a trailer because the power tool jockey that installed it ran the bolts up way beyond torque specs with an impact. Enough that they were so weak they snapped off while driving. My neighbor installed new trailer springs and U bolts recently. I offered and recommended my torque wrench, and to use the proper torque. He was not able to understand that the impact was not torquing, it was simply tightening, and likely way over tightening. Every time I hear a guy proudly telling me he carries an impact in his truck for tire work, I cringe. Too lazy to use a wrench and not caring if it's right. Not on my truck. One tire shop over torqued my lug nuts on my Ram and over time six of the eight snapped off. I was towing at 70 mph and began to feel a vibration. So I stopped and only two studs were still holding the wheel on! Yikes! Here's a picture of how it looked when I stopped. Six studs snapped off from over tightening.
1.jpeg

Last edited:
The modern trend seems to be to do everything with power tools and that is not torquing properly, as you know.
Like most things, this is taken to an extreme vs. finding a happy medium. Drives me crazy when I see videos of various installations just using a Milwaukee impact without even stating the correct torque value and then torquing properly. They act like it's a $20k torque monitoring DC nut runner at the mfg plant. Some are from people that are widely regarded as "experts" but I won't name names.

I've been using a helper for lugnuts for about 30yrs beginning with my 12V Craftsman cordless drill. Break them free, use the drill, impact, etc to spin them the rest of the way off and then reverse for installation. On vehicles that have long wheel studs there is a tangible benefit. The first and last step should be the breaker bar and torque wrench respectively. Yeah, I'll admit sometimes I've been lazy on the removal but never on the install. I always take multiple steps to get up to final torque.

Always a good idea to check torque after driving for a bit as well after a doing a rotation.
100% this. I've been a couple days out after a dealership rotation on my Volvo and found some only finger tight on several occasions. Since they're bolts rather than studs and nuts it's extra upsetting. I've gotten in the habit of checking them w the tq wrench after the first few post rotation drives.

I personally have this wrench. http://torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=C3FR250F. I like the idea of the internals never being in tension at rest, so I don't have to worry about calibration as much as the other tools. Also, if it's good enough for Discount Tire, it's good enough for me. To be fair, Discount Tire does send them out to be recalibrated on a weekly basis, so take that for what it's worth.
I'll second this recommendation - split beam all the way. Especially if you're carrying one in the truck, you definitely want to avoid a spring loaded design.

Harbor Freight has a split beam wrench now, as does Tekton, both of which are a good bit cheaper than the Precision Instruments. And looking at them both, it would surprise me if they aren't rebranding the PI.

Of course if you're a baller, SnapOn also puts their logo on the PI.

Last edited:
I'll second this recommendation - split beam all the way. Especially if you're carrying one in the truck, you definitely want to avoid a spring loaded design.

Harbor Freight has a split beam wrench now, as does Tekton, both of which are a good bit cheaper than the Precision Instruments. And looking at them both, it would surprise me if they aren't rebranding the PI.

Of course if you're a baller, SnapOn also puts their logo on the PI.

I like these can be stored with any torque settings and would probably not have to be recalibrated for awhile.

With the Black Friday deals I decided to put together an Impact wrench and lug nut socket kit to keep in the back of the truck for tire change emergencies. The lug socket set is very nice with plastic guards included, and they are extra long so you never need an extension. The kit includes sizes for most cars including the Tremor lugs. The 19mm middle size fits most passenger cars and camper lugs.

The compact 1/2" 12v Milwaukee impact wrench has amazing torque at 250 lb/ft, and with the included batteries would be capable of a full tire rotation without recharging. It all comes in a nice soft case that's just right for holding everything including the socket set and takes up about the same space as one of the standard sized battery impact wrenches. The kit stows nicely in the side corner of the bed.

https://www.northerntool.com/milwaukee-m12-fuel-cordless-stubby-impact-wrench-kit-1-2in-drive-250-ft-lbs-torque-2-batteries-model-2555-22-72955

View attachment 135864View attachment 135865
View attachment 135863View attachment 135867
Just wanted to qualify the purpose of this kit. Knowing the condition of my wheel lugs and doing most of my work myself, I'm comfortable removing lug nuts with an impact wrench. Spinning them back on to contact is the most I would use this tool for during the install process. That's also the reason I like this little wrench in that it doesn't have enough power to do much damage. A properly torqued nut on our trucks will almost immediately start backing off when you put the impact on it. If not, stop and proceed manually. That having been said, if you are having to use a 6' pipe to loosen lug nuts, the potential for major damage is still very possible during that effort, and the studs are probably already over-stressed.

Now if you're on the side of the highway with a tire blowout and you're between the trailer and traffic, get in, get done quickly and get out of danger. Than go back and properly torque those lug nuts and do your assessment of the situation in safety.

Everything that's been stated about correctly changing tires and proper torqueing practices are all valid and true. The best way to not have the terrible situations some have described is to take ownership of this whole process. That includes making sure the tire shop you have work on your truck is using proper methods. If I can't watch the tech from the waiting room while he works on my truck, I'm not very comfortable. When I use a tire shop I usually use my local Discount tire, and I like that I can sit at the little counter that's along the windows to the shop and watch the guys working on my truck. They can see me as well. Happy tire changing. 🍻 :cool:

Last edited:
After reading this I've pondered on the possibilities of getting a flat in an unfortunate location. I tend to travel in lots of remote areas, most without cell service. Consequently, I decided to take advantage of a couple good deals... Milwaukee M18 Impact gun, and a reduced price for the socket set posted here. I'm 70, seems like good insurance.

Limited-time deal: OMT Lug Nut Socket Set, 17mm 19mm 21mm Metric Wheel Socket Set, 3pc 1/2" Drive Extra Long Impact Socket Set, 6" Thin Wall Socket Set Non Marring Lug Nut Socket Set with Colored Protector & Blue Case https://a.co/d/6ELLzc0

After reading this I've pondered on the possibilities of getting a flat in an unfortunate location. I tend to travel in lots of remote areas, most without cell service. Consequently, I decided to take advantage of a couple good deals... Milwaukee M18 Impact gun, and a reduced price for the socket set posted here. I'm 70, seems like good insurance.

Limited-time deal: OMT Lug Nut Socket Set, 17mm 19mm 21mm Metric Wheel Socket Set, 3pc 1/2" Drive Extra Long Impact Socket Set, 6" Thin Wall Socket Set Non Marring Lug Nut Socket Set with Colored Protector & Blue Case https://a.co/d/6ELLzc0
That's a great price for the Impact wrench with battery and charger! (y)

Back