Low speed clunk

Vicious-Peanut

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Anyone else hear a clunk when they turn into their driveway with the wheel turned tight? My first solid axle truck so not sure if that’s normal or what. Steering and suspension feel fine, no different than when I got it.

Yep mine is doing the same thing (7.3 with 4.3 gears), apparently a common issue on the 10 speed trans when they are new...I think it is either a 3rd to 1st or 2nd to 1st downshift. I have had it happen 3 times in the first 500 miles, definitely will get your attention and anyone else in the truck, hoping it goes away as it breaks in/learns, some have said it gets better over time... just hope it doesnt tear anything up in the process, a very jarring event. Not sure if the 6.7 are seeing this or just the 7.3 as the trans is a bit different on the two.

I’m not thinking it’s the transmission as I’m already in 1st or second. I guess I need to crawl under and make sure sway bar and everything is tight.

Yea if you are sure you are already in 1st sounds like a different issue from mine, dunno. Mine is quiet other than the trans issue, really the only problem I have with my truck, hoping it goes away.

sounds crazy, going to try mine and see if I can make it do that

This thread got me to wondering if there is a difference in build quality between trucks that were built just before the Covid shutdown and trucks that are being built now.

For example, were trucks being rushed before the plant shut down and therefore were put together more hastily or is it worse now that they are trying to catch up?

It would be interesting to see who is having issues like this low speed clunk and when it was built vs trucks without it.

For the record, my truck is being delivered tomorrow so I can’t speak on clunks or hard downshifts just yet.

I have a clunk (6.7) when backing up to turn around in the driveway first thing every morning - sounds like it’s passenger side front suspension related but the weirdest thing is it only does does it for a few seconds as I turn around & go down the gravel drive (bumpy) and then it’s quiet until the next morning when it repeats all over again

It’s more than likely the Drag Link. I had mine replaced last week. Happens at about 70%turn to full lock pulling into driveways and such.
8FBCFD0F-130C-42CA-ACF5-839F81474B32.jpeg

Thanks all, will try and get in to the dealer to check on it.

For what it’s worth my truck was well before Covid in the US, it was a Jan/Feb build.

Thanks all, will try and get in to the dealer to check on it.

For what it’s worth my truck was well before Covid in the US, it was a Jan/Feb build.
Ours were built the same time. I have ZERO issues

I have a clunk, I suspect its suspension related. It only happens when I am pulling into my parking ramp at work. Going up a slight elevation with the wheel turned far to the right.

Got back from a little off road trip and lots of clunking when suspension traveling and steering. Thing is steering is tight and it tracks straight with no slop.. and crawled under it and drag link has no play. Is this just the noise of a solid axle? A new world for me.

Mine made a clunk when turning as well. Turns out the Hub was locked when I bought it. Unlocked the hub and clunk is gone. Check your hubs.

Mine made a clunk when turning as well. Turns out the Hub was locked when I bought it. Unlocked the hub and clunk is gone. Check your hubs.
This is why you were hearing a noise with the hubs locked

Attachments

• 20200813_184143.jpg
    20200813_184143.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 364
My hubs were also locked when I got my truck..

Thanks all for the info. I just picked my truck up Tuesday night and have been noticing a clunk with low speed turns when getting past about 75% turn. I have had lockers before, but first time with an LS on the front. I just went out and checked - driver's side was locked and passenger side was unlocked. I will see if that remedies the clunk when I head to work tomorrow.

Yep, mine is making a light clunking sound coming from the front end, it happens Turing left or right, slow speed on flat ground, doesn’t need to be pulling into a driveway. I have 2k miles on n it but i heard it from first week

Back