Loud Fan/Blower noise when accelerating

I think it's definitely programming. My truck does the same thing where when you first get moving the fan blows on high but after you reach about 10 mph it idles down and doesn't rev again until the next restart. The noise is annoying but I don't think it's a failed fan clutch because it always idles down after getting up to speed.
I went from not ever noticing it, to noticing it for just a few min after I first started driving… then it would stop, to being engaged 100% of the time no matter temp, ac on/off, etc…

Just dropped mine of at the dealership this morning. Hopefully they can figure it out like your dealership did.

Reactions: ccw
Please post the part number on the work order. Curious to see if they finally changed the revision of the clutch. @thatdood

Mine is at the dealership now for the same thing. I've been having issues for the past 20K miles. They did a reflash to no avail. Fan kicks on when I'm towing my bass boat and will not shut off until you let the truck sit until it is completely cool. Operating temps are within normal range and outside temps here in the PNW are plenty cool. Had it kick on pulling a cargo trailer back from MT in the snow going 50mph with outside temps below 20. I've provided the dealership multiple videos of it happening at different speeds. My 2016 did not have this issue at all. They are contacting Ford to see if they are missing something on their end as they say it is normal to have the fan kick on like this. I disagree and want to understand the parameters that kick the fan on. It will kick on every morning however it will shut off in the first few minutes of driving unloaded. Doesn't matter if tow/haul is on our not it will do it with a light load. Here to tell you it is a pain for sure and very annoying. I'm confident it is a bad fan clutch, but we will see what they come back at me with.

Looks like the dually has a specific clutch (and fan blade) part number with a dash E revision, and the SRW is a dash D. 🤔

5rw88xF.png

Curious if the DRW fan blade and clutch would allow for better cooling on our SRWs and not kick on as often.

Curious if the DRW fan blade and clutch would allow for better cooling on our SRWs and not kick on as often.
Indeed, also wondering the difference and if would provide a better benefit in general?

We all know the DRW trucks have the "hi-flow" grill. Not surprising the fan and clutch are different by part numbers.

The problem is to somehow develop a testing method that can prove there's some substantial gain to any sort of swap. Cause you need to show the change in performance and associated gains. Not to mention the possible losses that could occur.

As of late yesterday the part is still in transit. Unless it magically gets done today, appears my Carli install set for Mon will get pushed a week or two unfortunately

Update on my dealer visit. They said that it was a programming issue and that they reset the computer and updated it. Picked up the truck and left the dealership two days ago. Truck was running fine. Started up today and the loud fan sound is back. it is roughly about 105 degrees today. Maybe it could be the heat that is causing the fan to run on high 95 percent of the time.

Update on my dealer visit. They said that it was a programming issue and that they reset the computer and updated it. Picked up the truck and left the dealership two days ago. Truck was running fine. Started up today and the loud fan sound is back. it is roughly about 105 degrees today. Maybe it could be the heat that is causing the fan to run on high 95 percent of the time.

Interesting….

I really need to give my radiator a good cleaning. Tons of bugs stuck in it and dirty.

MIne probably has tons of bugs in it to as I just made the drive from Cali to AZ at night. Think that could be an issue? Radiator not fully functioning?

MIne probably has tons of bugs in it to as I just made the drive from Cali to AZ at night. Think that could be an issue? Radiator not fully functioning?
My front grille was off a few weekends ago and I gave it a good air blast with an air gun.

The '22 MY has 61K

I really need to give my radiator a good cleaning. Tons of bugs stuck in it and dirty.
This would make for a good thread if there isn't one about it already.
I vaguely recall seeing some kind of foaming product to soften up bug guts from radiators so they could be hosed off about 20 years ago and was wondering if it was still made and if it's safe to use on our trucks (and whatever else).

This would make for a good thread if there isn't one about it already.
I vaguely recall seeing some kind of foaming product to soften up bug guts from radiators so they could be hosed off about 20 years ago and was wondering if it was still made and if it's safe to use on our trucks (and whatever else).
These are some of the best: https://www.refrigtech.com/coil-cleaners/

Latest Discussions

Back