Loose Steering

amclaen

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Raptor
Hello, I recently came from a Raptor and the steering was very tight and on my 2011 F350 the steering was tight. The steering on the feels like I’m driving a loaded dump truck. My dad put adjustable radius arms on a 14 Super Duty stock pickup to adjust the camber. Does anyone else feel their steering is sloppy?

Do you have the adaptive steering option?

Yes there is a button for it and I’ve to make the adaptive steering work but I cannot. The 2 green lines come on the dash

Hello, I recently came from a Raptor and the steering was very tight and on my 2011 F350 the steering was tight. The steering on the feels like I’m driving a loaded dump truck. My dad put adjustable radius arms on a 14 Super Duty stock pickup to adjust the camber. Does anyone else feel their steering is sloppy?
It certainly is not as tight as my 2002 f250 was. My tires are at 60 in front and 70 in rear. Maybe that's too low.

Yes there is a button for it and I’ve to make the adaptive steering work but I cannot. The 2 green lines come on the dash

adaptive steering is different than the lane keep assist.

Does it seem to be worse at a certain speed or all the time? Have you had a chance to report it to the dealer?

Mine has the lane keeping system but doesn’t move you back into your lane. It only vibrates. Maybe that’s how it works.

I have adaptive steering on mine an noticed a little wandering occasionally. Going to put a few more miles on the tires to see if it gets any better. If not I'll probably have them check the alignment. I think some of it is just getting used to the adaptive steering.

lane keep assist is the button above the screen....it just vibrates the steering wheel and doesn't try to correct the steering like the latest Chevy's do.

I’ve got the adaptive steering as well. I don’t notice any wander or steering wheel shudder. Truck tracks really well and doesn’t require constant correction.

I had a 2019 f250 lariat 4x4 as a loaner for a few days while my Tremor was being finished up. The 19 steered heavy just like my old super dutys that i had. I was surprised when i got the tremor that it steered so easily, it is almost as easy as my last f150 with the electronic power steering.

Any ideas on what is different between the 2 trucks. I don't think i have the adaptive steering

20's have a new steering design to work with the pro trailer backup assist. I have not had a previous model to compare them to so I don't know but I hear a lot of people like the new easy steering feeling of the 20

Mine is very easy to steer, no wandering. My 2019 Jeep Rubicon and my old 2009 Ram 3500 wandered like Gandolf on his way to mordor.

Mine is very easy to steer, no wandering. My 2019 Jeep Rubicon and my old 2009 Ram 3500 wandered like Gandolf on his way to mordor.

lol, this made me laugh.

I find mine to be pretty good to me as well. Again, a little "floaty" on the road at first but then my old Toyo RT's on 1/2 ton did the same thing when new after coming from Toyo AT2 that tracked beautifully.

Do you have the 7.3l or diesel motor?

Do you have the 7.3l or diesel motor?
I’m running the diesel. I know Ford adjusted the angle of something after 2011. We put adjustable radius arms to get it back to that spec. Just don’t drive it like a Raptor and I will be fine.

This is an old thread.... Anyone still watching?? I have a 22 250 6.7 that I bought in February 23. It is certified with Ford and had 23k miles.
On the test drive I noticed that the steering was a little loose. With the deal, i had them add a 4" BDS lift w/Stabilers. (Since they installed it, the warranty aligns with the new car warranty) Both the dealer and i figured that the suspension dynamics would change with the lift, so I proceeded.
Lift was installed, really no difference in the steering. Truck looks awesome... but the trucj still wanders. I have always driven F150's and expected the same steering feel.

I will going back to the dealer, I am just looking for feedback on my expectations that the steering should be tighter and less prone to wander.

This is an old thread.... Anyone still watching?? I have a 22 250 6.7 that I bought in February 23. It is certified with Ford and had 23k miles.
On the test drive I noticed that the steering was a little loose. With the deal, i had them add a 4" BDS lift w/Stabilers. (Since they installed it, the warranty aligns with the new car warranty) Both the dealer and i figured that the suspension dynamics would change with the lift, so I proceeded.
Lift was installed, really no difference in the steering. Truck looks awesome... but the trucj still wanders. I have always driven F150's and expected the same steering feel.

I will going back to the dealer, I am just looking for feedback on my expectations that the steering should be tighter and less prone to wander.
Expecting the same steering as your F-150's was a mistake. The SD and 150 are completely different. Completely different steering components, geometry, size. How bad is this wander? Do you have an alignment printout?

Expecting the same steering as your F-150's was a mistake. The SD and 150 are completely different. Completely different steering components, geometry, size. How bad is this wander? Do you have an alignment printout?
I dont have an alignment printout. During the search, i did test drive a few new ones and thought the steering was better than expected. The one i have has 28k now. I would not expect that level of change in the steering.

Appreciate the reply. I will see if they kept the alignmnet printout.

No lucck. I will take it in to Ford and let them tell me there is no issue....

Back