Looking to better understand...

TrackRat

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor
Current Ride #2
2020 Shelby GT350
Coming from a 2018 Raptor and am close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 350 Tremor. Making the move to accommodate a travel trailer (likely a fifth wheel). Honestly... not a big tower (yet). Looking to make sure I am clear on the difference in towing capabilities on the Tremor vs a non-Tremor 250/350. Anything that would push me back towards a truck without the Tremor package? Most likely will end up with something in the 30ish foot range from the trailer.

Coming from a 2018 Raptor and am close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 350 Tremor. Making the move to accommodate a travel trailer (likely a fifth wheel). Honestly... not a big tower (yet). Looking to make sure I am clear on the difference in towing capabilities on the Tremor vs a non-Tremor 250/350. Anything that would push me back towards a truck without the Tremor package? Most likely will end up with something in the 30ish foot range from the trailer.
As long as you get the 350 with the 11500 gvwr and max capacity tow package you don't give up anything, and can tow all but the largest 5th wheels....Make sure you check the GVWR and the little yellow sticker next to it because cargo capacity is the key number in towing capacity. You want to be North of 3000 LBS of cargo capacity for 5th wheel towing. Certainly even a 250 will tow any travel trailer I have researched (like a Grand Design Reflection 315 RLTS at 38 FT). The only thing I would say is if your gonna want the "biggest" 5th wheel, nothing beats a dually for towing and that eliminates the Tremor pkg.

Any material compromise going with a 250? Don't think the GVWR is quite as high. Interestingly when playing around with building my own on the Ford website there seems to be a high capacity tow package for the 250 but didn't see the option on the 350 - am I missing it or do the 350s automatically come equipped? Thanks and really appreciate the help with the noob questions.

Last edited:
M
Any material compromise going with a 250? Don't think the GVWR is quite as high. Interestingly when playing around with building my own on the Ford website there seems to be a high capacity tow package for the 250 but didn't see the option on the 350 - am I missing it or do the 350s automatically come equipped? Thanks and really appreciate the help with the noob questions.
My 250 is a lariat ultimate with a 6.7...my gvwr is 10800 my cargo capacity is 2730. That limits me to any TT but only 1/2 ton towable type fifth wheels. I think your right that the 250 with max tow is the same truck as a 350 (except for the rating by Ford). We have seen trucks in this forum that were 350's with UNDER 2000 LBS cargo capacity...you DON'T want one of those so be careful.....every truck has a different cargo capacity number...I have not seen 2 the same yet! The bottom line is open the drivers door and check that sticker. And IMHO, if you KNOW your gonna buy a fifth wheel, get the 350.

Truck I’m looking at is at the factory. Has the 11500 GVWR but NO max towing package

I am not sure how much you have looked into the towing numbers. It was an eye opener for me. My F150 fx4 3.5 eco had only 1100 LBS cargo capacity....dude, thats 4 people a dog and a cooler!......0 LBS left for hitch weight or pin weight. Even though we both know it could have easily towed 10,000. So here is the deal: your trailers hitch weight or pin weight counts as cargo. a fifth wheel with a gvwr of 15000 is gonna have a pin weight of 3000 lbs (20%). A travel trailer will be 15%....10000 gvwr= hitch weight of 1500. And thats why cargo capacity is the critical number. The rest of the numbers...Superduty crushes.

Hopefully some of the F350 guys will chime in on this one.....is it a 6.7??

Truck I’m looking at is at the factory. Has the 11500 GVWR but NO max towing package
Thats the big one......hopefully the F350 guys can help out

Most of the guys with 350s have that GVWR and are towing 5th wheels.......your cargo capacity on that truck is probably around 3500....but thats a guess. The guy that had the 1750 had a gvwr of 10000 or 9900. I weighed my truck with wife dog and all my crap and full of fuel...8600 LBS.....with a 10800 gvwr...leaves me 2200 for hitch and trailer wieght

To my knowledge there is no difference in the towing between tremor or non tremor with the same option superduty.

7.3 250 tremor can tow 15000 lbs.
7.3 250 fx4 can tow 15000 lbs.

Tremor has small lift speedometer set for 35 already and crawl setting!

But your crazy to give up your tt 3.5. They are the best ever.....;)
Neither the 6.7 nor 7.3 can compete!)

The Raptor is a seriously fun machine... just not the right fit for family priorities now I suppose. They wake right up when you hook them up with the standard tune / IC package!

The Raptor is a seriously fun machine... just not the right fit for family priorities now I suppose. They wake right up when you hook them up with the standard tune / IC package!
No wonder I wasn't impressed with the stock 3.5 tt. Stock is pretty slow then.

Thank you for the heads up!

Starting the search now. Something between 32 and 36 ft.

There is an Atlas, General Design and a couple of Rockwoods and Cherokees that look pretty good for what we're looking for (e.g., extra wide bunks, trying to maximize seating/living space, outdoor kitchen, etc.)

Thank you for the heads up!

Starting the search now. Something between 32 and 36 ft.

There is an Atlas, General Design and a couple of Rockwoods and Cherokees that look pretty good for what we're looking for (e.g., extra wide bunks, trying to maximize seating/living space, outdoor kitchen, etc.)

Check out Outdoors RV - My dad has had one for the past 3-4 years and he's had very little issues with it. We took a tour through the factory in La Grande, OR a couple of years ago and it was neat to watch them come together. My brother has a Grand Design and it's been great as well.

Tremor > Raptor. There's a TON of converts here, myself included.

Welcome :)

Here is the towing guide for your viewing pleasure. According to it not loosing much towing capacity with Tremor vs non in CCSB.

Please note the high capacity trailer towing package is only for the F-250. A over simplified summary is the GVWR to 10800 vs 10000 for standard F-250 6.7L. The F-350s CCSB 6.7L GVWR is 11500 with no upgrade option.

In terms of a Tremor from what I can find there’s no physical difference between a F-250 and F-350 other than the certified weight ratings.

Tremor > Raptor. There's a TON of converts here, myself included.

Welcome :)
I am a Raptor to Tremor convert as well. Just with a 2500 in between in between them. Sometimes wish could have kept the Raptor but I just was not driving it enough to justify the cost of keeping it after picking up the 2500 for towing.

Here is the towing guide for your viewing pleasure. According to it not loosing much towing capacity with Tremor vs non in CCSB.

Please note the high capacity trailer towing package is only for the F-250. A over simplified summary is the GVWR to 10800 vs 10000 for standard F-250 6.7L. The F-350s CCSB 6.7L GVWR is 11500 with no upgrade option.

In terms of a Tremor from what I can find there’s no physical difference between a F-250 and F-350 other than the certified weight ratings.

Super helpful, so basically if you've got the 11,500 GVWR on a 350 you've spec'd the thing as well as you can for towing (maybe short of the 5th wheel prep kit). Kept going back and looking on the Ford Build site thinking I was missing the option.

Back