LONG STORY... 2 TREMOR ORDERS...

CrashingKing714

Tremor Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2021
Messages
22
Reaction Points
69
Location
CA
**UPDATE EDIT 8/26/21** - Truck was delivered to dealership #1. GM from dealership denied X-Plan Pricing. So I'm waiting for Dealership #2 truck to be delivered so I can get my better deal... If anyone REALLY wants a '22 Tremor RIGHT now there is one at FAIRWAY FORD, Yorba Linda, CA.

I've spent a long time lurking around this Forum... I feel I finally have something worth posting about. So here's my story...

In early May, 2021, I was in talks with multiple dealerships for ordering a '22 TREMOR. Towards the end of May, I finally settled on a dealership and price and ask them to place the order (prior to Ford requiring the copy of driver license and such). Everything was good, I was OK with the negotiated price, especially with what COVID has done to all industries across the board (Higher than I was hoping, but much lower than other quotes I was getting, around $1.5k above MSRP). Then BAM! Two days after I tell them to place my order , I get a call back, that as the salesman was placing the paperwork on the GM's desk, the GM tells him that Ford is cancelling and pausing all '22 orders. I'm told that Ford is temporarily shutting down factories for multiple weeks possibly over 1 month, and until further notice no orders are being accepted. I tell him "Bummer, that sucks. Let me know when things change and we will go from there.” I leave it at that, I already have a price I negotiated and a dealership that I’m good with.

2-3 weeks later June 7th, 2-3 weeks of more lurking on this forum and others, I get an email out of the blue saying the GM was actually able to “sneak in my order.” I say, “OK great, when would you like me to come down and place my security deposit and sign paperwork?” He tells me not to worry about it, “No need to place deposit, the GM and I are the only ones that can see this as a customer order…The truck can’t be sold unless the GM or I say so…” This is the point where I start getting a different vibe from my salesman. I asked about the priority code being at 19 and if he could provide me with updates as they come along. Within his reply he says, “I am also not sure if I can even sell it for the original quote. At this point I'm just happy that they put your order in for one of only a handful of remaining trucks they are going to build for us this year.” So “at this point”, I’m excited about getting my order in, but I am pretty disappointed with him telling me the price we already negotiated might not be honored… But I stayed optimistic. Maybe the economy can improve, millions of chips are found in a warehouse and industries are saved, prices go back to normal...

I did receive the order number and VIN from this order. Turns out it was was placed on June 1st, using my customer information. The vibe I'm getting is that it doesn’t guarantee it’s MY truck, nor does it guarantee our negotiated price, especially since it’s already been stated there isn’t a guarantee.

In the following weeks I’m all over the forums. I learn about X-plan and how to get one, I went with Mustang Club. I now know there are others but that was the first one I found and I jumped. I reached back out to the salesman and asked if they accept the X-plan and the reply back was expected, “Under normal conditions we would absolutely welcome an X-Plan PIN. Under the current inventory conditions, we are not honoring any A/X/Z/D Plan.”

So after being told I couldn’t place an order, to having my order pushed through, then told my negotiated price is seemingly pointless, and X-plan isn’t welcomed… I called a couple other dealerships and one of them said they would accept the X-plan.

I placed an identical order with the 2nd dealership. Placed a deposit, they copied my driver license, I have copies of paperwork and prices with X-plan…

So NOW THE FUN PART… I was JUST NOTIFIED THIS MORNING, 8/13, My “First Order” is now being shipped (Sorry to all the people who are waiting on '21 orders still and those who have been waiting MUCH longer on '22 orders). My ACTUAL, signed order, should start being built in about 10 days, I hope... (I have a build week of 8/23). Do I give the first dealership the opportunity to earn my business back and tell them if they can match or beat the 2nd order, including incentives, I’ll buy from them or do I just say I’m backing out of it and stick with the 2nd X-plan pricing order and just wait it out…?

My guess is that BOTH dealerships would be able to sell that truck at or above MSRP no problem…
Oh and my order is:
F350, 6.7, ANTIMATTER BLUE, LARIAT, TREMOR, LARIAT ULTIMATE PACKAGE, ULTIMATE TOW, 5TH WHEEL, QAUD BEAM HEADLIGHTS, UPFITTER SWITCHES, RAPID SUPPLEMENTAL HEAT, WHEEL WELL LINERS F/R, AND SPLASH GUARDS F/R.
 
Last edited:
I've spent a long time lurking around this Forum... I feel I finally have something worth posting about. So here's my story...

In early May, 2021, I was in talks with multiple dealerships for ordering a '22 TREMOR. Towards the end of May, I finally settled on a dealership and price and ask them to place the order (prior to Ford requiring the copy of driver license and such). Everything was good, I was OK with the negotiated price, especially with what COVID has done to all industries across the board (Higher than I was hoping, but much lower than other quotes I was getting, around $1.5k above MSRP). Then BAM! Two days after I tell them to place my order , I get a call back, that as the salesman was placing the paperwork on the GM's desk, the GM tells him that Ford is cancelling and pausing all '22 orders. I'm told that Ford is temporarily shutting down factories for multiple weeks possibly over 1 month, and until further notice no orders are being accepted. I tell him "Bummer, that sucks. Let me know when things change and we will go from there.” I leave it at that, I already have a price I negotiated and a dealership that I’m good with.

2-3 weeks later June 7th, 2-3 weeks of more lurking on this forum and others, I get an email out of the blue saying the GM was actually able to “sneak in my order.” I say, “OK great, when would you like me to come down and place my security deposit and sign paperwork?” He tells me not to worry about it, “No need to place deposit, the GM and I are the only ones that can see this as a customer order…The truck can’t be sold unless the GM or I say so…” This is the point where I start getting a different vibe from my salesman. I asked about the priority code being at 19 and if he could provide me with updates as they come along. Within his reply he says, “I am also not sure if I can even sell it for the original quote. At this point I'm just happy that they put your order in for one of only a handful of remaining trucks they are going to build for us this year.” So “at this point”, I’m excited about getting my order in, but I am pretty disappointed with him telling me the price we already negotiated might not be honored… But I stayed optimistic. Maybe the economy can improve, millions of chips are found in a warehouse and industries are saved, prices go back to normal...

I did receive the order number and VIN from this order. Turns out it was was placed on June 1st, using my customer information. The vibe I'm getting is that it doesn’t guarantee it’s MY truck, nor does it guarantee our negotiated price, especially since it’s already been stated there isn’t a guarantee.

In the following weeks I’m all over the forums. I learn about X-plan and how to get one, I went with Mustang Club. I now know there are others but that was the first one I found and I jumped. I reached back out to the salesman and asked if they accept the X-plan and the reply back was expected, “Under normal conditions we would absolutely welcome an X-Plan PIN. Under the current inventory conditions, we are not honoring any A/X/Z/D Plan.”

So after being told I couldn’t place an order, to having my order pushed through, then told my negotiated price is seemingly pointless, and X-plan isn’t welcomed… I called a couple other dealerships and one of them said they would accept the X-plan.

I placed an identical order with the 2nd dealership. Placed a deposit, they copied my driver license, I have copies of paperwork and prices with X-plan…

So NOW THE FUN PART… I was JUST NOTIFIED THIS MORNING, 8/13, My “First Order” is now being shipped (Sorry to all the people who are waiting on '21 orders still and those who have been waiting MUCH longer on '22 orders). My ACTUAL, signed order, should start being built in about 10 days, I hope... (I have a build week of 8/23). Do I give the first dealership the opportunity to earn my business back and tell them if they can match or beat the 2nd order, including incentives, I’ll buy from them or do I just say I’m backing out of it and stick with the 2nd X-plan pricing order and just wait it out…?

My guess is that BOTH dealerships would be able to sell that truck at or above MSRP no problem…
Oh and my order is:
F350, 6.7, ANTIMATTER BLUE, LARIAT, TREMOR, LARIAT ULTIMATE PACKAGE, ULTIMATE TOW, 5TH WHEEL, QAUD BEAM HEADLIGHTS, UPFITTER SWITCHES, RAPID SUPPLEMENTAL HEAT, WHEEL WELL LINERS F/R, AND SPLASH GUARDS F/R.
First off, I tend to value time over money. So I'm not much of a negotiator when it comes to vehicles. My dealer offered me $1,500 under invoice. I said "sounds good." Moved on. The second dealer sounds more inline with what I like to experience - you may not be getting the best deal on the planet, but it seems fair given the current truck environment. If you don't mind waiting, I would stick with the 2nd dealer. The first dealer sounds a little greasy.
 
I don't like dealership games with pricing. I tried a few in this state and they were all a bunch of clowns with typical evasive answers when it came to pricing. Some of them felt like 50 first dates type discussions, repeating things that were already said, like what type of vehicle I am looking for. Not sure if they were just idiots or didn't care, probably both.

Ended up ordering through Granger (Chip) due to their no BS method and good pricing (IMO anyway). I prefer to know the truth, good or bad, vs not.
 
I'm in nearly the exact same prediciment except the first truck i oredered, was an order that was originally placed by someone else and i stepped into their shoes. That truck is to be delivered today 8/13. The issue is the truck is not on X-plan or invoice as the dealer wouldn't budge and it's missing some items (sunroof, wipers and cab heater) that i really want. I went to another dealer who honored the xplan without hesitation. I had him order it up. I agree with @Rich Pune, i value time over money. I ilkely wouldn't have looked for a second dealer if x plan was an offer. Now, after i notified them i'm backing out on the to be delivered truck, i was offered invoice or x plan, whatever is lower for any truck i order. It's unlikely i'll go to the first dealer as it's just a waste of my time and the second dealer was obviously much easier to work with from the beginning.

really, the whole relationship thing is a cool story but at the end of the day, i prefer a better price than a stronger relationship. to each their own.
 
Sounds like the 2nd dealer has been a better experience all around - 1st dealer had the opportunity to provide the same but chose not to.

I agree with comments above, my time has value, and I don’t choose to spend it playing vague games -with no reassurance of if the truck was for sure ordered/held for you, much less what price they expected you to pay. At what point (or have they yet) given you a final price?

Sounds like the 1st dealer made sure to leave the door open to make changes for their benefit, so the flip side says you have options as well. Too many dealers offering the same product to not take care of business when they have the opportunity.
 
I ordered from Chip at Granger also. Order confirmed on 8/6. Was going to order from a local dealer, but was originally told by the salesman (good guy) that they honored x plan and given their normal discounted price. Then he called the day I was going to sign the deal and said sales manager said they were raising their price, and wanted to know if I wanted to continue with the deal. I told them sure, it’s not an issue because x plan will be a better price anyway. A while later he called back and said his manager now told him they no longer honor x plan. I told him I would be going elsewhere. Got in touch with Granger, and a few short emails later my truck was ordered.
 
I agree. Second dealer looks like the way to go. Our dealership is accepting all plans and associated pricing so if anyone is in se Mich and has an x plan and needs a salesperson I can get you in touch with someome
 
The first dealer doesn't want you to buy it there. They only used you to get the truck ordered so they could sell it for more. They raised the price on you hoping that you'd go away and if you happened to buy it at the new price then they'd just got more money out of you. It's a win-win for them.
 
Emailed the first dealership over the weekend. Told him I placed an order at another dealership and the reasons for doing it. So we will see if they reply back with a counter offer that would be worth considering. Otherwise the wait will continue and I get my truck from the 2nd dealership.
 
The 1st dealership got back to me. Seems he MIGHT be more willing to sell at a lower price, X-plan... I don't want to back out of the 2nd dealership unless it's a somewhat significant lower offer below what I currently have set with them...
From the 1st dealership:
"I may very well be able to honor the X-Plan once the truck arrives. Market conditions are constantly changing and ordered vehicles are a priority for us.
My warning previously about the pricing was because we were being told of doomsday inventory situations. It appears we are past the worst part of it at this point. You are under no obligation to purchase this truck when it arrives but it is too late for me to cancel the order because the truck will be here soon! Once it arrives, I will contact you and will probably be able to honor the X-Plan pricing. Believe me, I want to sell a truck more than you want to buy one!
You can make a decision at that point how you'd like to proceed and if I can't honor the X-Plan pricing, I would completely understand why you would go elsewhere."
 
Yep, they’re still leaving the door open for themselves. I don’t pretend to know the car business, but why can’t they commit to a price? I agree, don’t close the door on the 2nd dealership, maybe the 1st dealer will surprise you. I just don’t like dealing with all the unknown/noncommittal bs…
 
Well it seems like this might work out to be a financial advantage to have the first dealership pitted against the 2nd dealership with a guaranteed better offer. I told the 1st dealership what they are going up against. He told me, "When your truck arrives, I will present to our ownership group (the deal I have lined up with dealer #2) and if they agree then you can take my truck, If not you have it locked up with the other dealer". So There's a chance I'll get the truck by the end of August or 1st week of September with dealership #1... ORRR, late September, early October with dealership #2... I've got a road trip to Yellowstone planned pretty soon... I think that area could produce some possible "Tremor of the Month" photos... So... hoping I get a new truck before the trip.

ALSO... Since I'm only buying ONE of these BEASTS... There will for sure be a 2022 6.7 Lariat in the Southern California area available soon...
 
Last edited:
The 1st dealership got back to me. Seems he MIGHT be more willing to sell at a lower price, X-plan... I don't want to back out of the 2nd dealership unless it's a somewhat significant lower offer below what I currently have set with them...
From the 1st dealership:
"I may very well be able to honor the X-Plan once the truck arrives. Market conditions are constantly changing and ordered vehicles are a priority for us.
My warning previously about the pricing was because we were being told of doomsday inventory situations. It appears we are past the worst part of it at this point. You are under no obligation to purchase this truck when it arrives but it is too late for me to cancel the order because the truck will be here soon! Once it arrives, I will contact you and will probably be able to honor the X-Plan pricing. Believe me, I want to sell a truck more than you want to buy one!
You can make a decision at that point how you'd like to proceed and if I can't honor the X-Plan pricing, I would completely understand why you would go elsewhere."
I'm at a Michigan dealer and our arrivals from factory is picking up significantly So I think were past worst part. Also heard Ford secured supply of chips also
 
Well it seems like this might work out to be a financial advantage to have the first dealership pitted against the 2nd dealership with a guaranteed better offer. I told the 1st dealership what they are going up against. He told me, "When your truck arrives, I will present to our ownership group (the deal I have lined up with dealer #2) and if they agree then you can take my truck, If not you have it locked up with the other dealer". So There's a chance I'll get the truck by the end of August or 1st week of September with dealership #1... ORRR, late September, early October with dealership #2... I've got a road trip to Yellowstone planned pretty soon... I think that area could produce some possible "Tremor of the Month" photos... So... hoping I get a new truck before the trip.

ALSO... Since I'm only buying ONE of these BEASTS... There will for sure be a 2022 6.7 Lariat in the Southern California area available soon...
Where’s the other one located at?
 
First off, I tend to value time over money. So I'm not much of a negotiator when it comes to vehicles. My dealer offered me $1,500 under invoice. I said "sounds good." Moved on. The second dealer sounds more inline with what I like to experience - you may not be getting the best deal on the planet, but it seems fair given the current truck environment. If you don't mind waiting, I would stick with the 2nd dealer. The first dealer sounds a little greasy.
I agree and value time over money, my dealer said they would sell my tremor to me at invoice and I said ok let’s do it.
 
Back
Top