Local dealer games

FACTS! Quit paying over Msrp for anything! What is wrong with people now days? Seem’s to be not much common sense left these days! 🤦‍♂️ While you’re at it go buy house for 750k when you coulda have had for 520k!
Just because you can't or won't, doesn't mean its not worth it to others. You worry about you. You're not privy to the circumstances of others.

Just because you can't or won't, doesn't mean its not worth it to others. You worry about you. You're not privy to the circumstances of others.
The problem with that is those morons are F’n up the markets for everybody it opens a worm hole for sleazy businesses

Bottom line is if you are willing to make a little fun time road trip you can still get a decent price, all things considered, on a 2022 Super Duty. Let the "carpet bagger" dealerships set on their aging inventory.

Ford raises Superduty MSRP by roughly 7K in 2022 and then raises it again by 5K on a 2023 model. That’s a manufacturer mark up of roughly 12K in one year. Their 2023 Superduty order bank is now 250K orders. Those 250K potential customers accepted the mark ups by placing their orders.

Ford is within their right to raise prices as they see fit. Dealers are not, they have to stick to Ford’s MSRP otherwise we find it unacceptable?

Vote with your wallet. Don’t pay Ford MSRP, don’t pay shitty dealers additional mark ups on top of that ridiculous MSRP.

Hustle. Place a retail order, find under the invoice dealers so at the end you will somehow manage to come out even on pricing. Wait your turn for a year.

You sound like one of them! 🤦‍♂️

The problem with that is those morons are F’n up the markets for everybody it opens a worm hole for sleazy businesses
How are they morons, exactly?

I shopped Folsum before I ordered my truck, they wanted too much and didnt want to deal. I was all over the area to a LOT of dealers. When I told many of the dealers I wanted to be right around MSRP out the door many just said there was no way it was going to happen, I would never get that price. Did go back to Folsum a second time, they got a f250 in bluejeans that was not a tremor but had the 7.3 and we did an extended test drive, it was the closest we got to what I wanted to order on a lot anywhere. Asked the guy before I left that day if they were ready to do my deal, they again told me it would never happen. I walked.

Shopped all over, ended up at Elk Grove Ford not to far down the road. They won in the end, purchased a loaded Ranger they had on the showroom floor that was chili pepper red they had set up as a camping scene, which we negotiated spur of the moment and got it for less than sticker out the door with tax and license, paid cash for that one. Same visit, special ordered my tremor. Got the ranger / ordered the tremor February 15th 2020 right when covid was starting. Took delivery on March 28th, it was super fast. Truck was built just a few days before the first covid shutdown at the factory. Dealership was great all around, even got back over there and they installed my winch when they became available.

So far I have not seen any report of them screwing people out of their special orders, we will be going back to them for a bronco for my wife at some point in the not too distant future.

Other dealers called me for a few months after I ordered from Elk Grove. I will say it gave me a HUGE amount of satisfaction telling them that I got the price I wanted and purchased two trucks from another dealer.
I can write a near identical post for So Cal. There is stupid all over the state. Mark-ups in one place and fair deals a few miles away.

I dropped in a Orange County dealer yesterday to see Azure Gray in person in the sun. While shooting the bull on the walk to the back lot where the truck was since it just came in, it came up I had a 2023 F-250 on order. He asked if it was with them and I told them no. The guy asked why and I told him they would only go MSRP on an order and would not guarantee it. I got X-Plan for a drive to North County San Diego. He didn't offer anything. We looked at the Raptor and stopped at a few others on the way out, all were priced with a $25K ADM. Everything had ADM, even the Bronco Sports. He claimed they're getting it.

I asked him if the used market had cooled. He said a bit but not much. He asked me to call them when I was ready to get rid of my '21.

My X-Plan deal on the '23 is based on me being a "repeat customer" at the dealer I'm getting it from. No one else around here would do it. They were awesome to work with on our Bronco and everything is going smooth this time around too.

Azure Gray in the sun for those interested.

20230204_160141.jpg

20230204_160135.jpg

How are they morons, exactly?
3 reasons come to mind off hand one paying more than something’s worth that’ll be upside down as soon as things normalize on the used end which is about now and two fuckin up the market for everybody and like already said enables shitbag dealers all which are dumbass things to do, now I’m sure there are extenuating circumstances out there where someone had no choice and had to do what they had to do I get that . I choose to research travel a bit and have patience for an ordered truck and saved around $10k or so off msrp

Just because you can't or won't, doesn't mean it’s not worth it to others. You worry about you. You're not privy to the circumstances of others.
3 reasons come to mind off hand one paying more than something’s worth that’ll be upside down as soon as things normalize on the used end which is about now and two fuckin up the market for everybody and like already said enables shitbag dealers all which are dumbass things to do, now I’m sure there are extenuating circumstances out there where someone had no choice and had to do what they had to do I get that . I choose to research travel a bit and have patience for an ordered truck and saved around $10k or so off msrp
It’s not ignorance sir it’s stupidly. Mamma always said you can’t fix stupid. Don’t waist your time. 🤣

Ford raises Superduty MSRP by roughly 7K in 2022 and then raises it again by 5K on a 2023 model. That’s a manufacturer mark up of roughly 12K in one year. Their 2023 Superduty order bank is now 250K orders. Those 250K potential customers accepted the mark ups by placing their orders.

Ford is within their right to raise prices as they see fit. Dealers are not, they have to stick to Ford’s MSRP otherwise we find it unacceptable?

Vote with your wallet. Don’t pay Ford MSRP, don’t pay shitty dealers additional mark ups on top of that ridiculous MSRP.

Hustle. Place a retail order, find under the invoice dealers so at the end you will somehow manage to come out even on pricing. Wait your turn for a year.
Part of the problem is people that need vehicles and are forced to pay extra or msrp . For example at work I manage a fleet, I pay a bid price and have had vehicles on order for a year and they keep getting dropped and re ordered. I’m at the point where a slightly used comparable vehicle is the same price as a new bid priced vehicle. I had to purchase and pay msrp for a stripped down XLT explorer because we need a vehicle and the fleet interceptors are on back order. On the maintenance side, they are in a worse delima with fleet ordered super duty trucks. It seams like ford is not producing many fleet vehicles in favor of higher priced ones.

I am starting to see rebates on left over 2022’s on the dealer lots, ford has 0% for 36 months and $1500 off msrp advertised locally. But none applies to super duty trucks, they are selling locally at msrp.

Once I realized that the 2022 that I had a refundable deposit on, was probably not going to be built, I started calling dealers in GA, AL, TN, SC, and NC. All that I talked to, wanted $6-10K over MSRP. I found one dealership that has exactly what I want, and they were willing to take my X-Plan and the $2000 PCO that I got from FMC. That will total over $7k off of MSRP. If I were you, I would start looking hard in surrounding areas. Eventually you will find a dealer that won't have a mark-up. Good luck.

I have a 23 on order, but called a local dealer that had 2 F250 7.3 Tremors on the lot, out of curiosity. They said they're asking 15k over sticker...and they're about maxed out on options as it is, so the sticker is already over 80k. We have another car we purchased from there in the past, so he said since I'm a repeat customer, he'd ask mgmt to split the difference on the markup. SMH. The effin games they play...really takes the wind out of my sails when trying to get excited about the truck.
I paid MSRP in Nashville after I found out my 2022 would not be built. All the dealerships in the Atlanta area were marking up 10K. My local dealership in Huntsville are marking everything up as well.

I looked for about 9mo before I found a dealer willing to accept Z plan.

Talked with only a handful of dealers as I watched and waited for their 'bright and shiny new toys' come off of MSRP + $10K. At that time, they were usually gone within the day once the price came down to MSRP. Only fools were paying over MSRP, even during the height of demand for cheap credit and with the order banks having been closed for months.

As the '23s start arriving, the remaining new 22's should come down with any dealer living in reality and who grows tired of paying taxes on the old MY vehicles in inventory.

Last edited:
I drove up to Salt Lake from San Diego to get my truck at MSRP last year. Had probably called about 30-40 dealerships around the country (using Ford's inventory feature on their website). They all wanted between $10K and $20K over MSRP and some even had added over-priced dealer add-on packages. The worst was a Ford dealership in San Antonio. Wanted $6K on top of ADM for a "Texas Protection Package" (aka tinted windows and clear coat). I refuse to buy from anyone who does this price gauging.

do dealer's get to choose to refuse plans? i had everything sorted at dealer to pickup order, gave em my x plan code and they applied it and updated invoice. never seemed to be something they accepted as if they had an option.

Still playing games in NorCal. They have cut their added dealer markup by close to half of what they had been asking a month ago. Bless their hearts.

The pics are of a Tremor at Folsom Lake Ford. They have a back lot that is packed with Super Duty trucks. Quite a few of them are Tremors.

View attachment 111711View attachment 111712View attachment 111715
I had the same experience with Folsom Lk Ford - I've bought so many trucks there - but the same "your a returning customer so will give you a slight discount off of the ridiculus mark up". I found a Tremor 7.3 at Dixon Ford - paid MSRP and a better trade in on my 21 150 Plat. Check the gang over there - quick and easy with no BS...

do dealer's get to choose to refuse plans? i had everything sorted at dealer to pickup order, gave em my x plan code and they applied it and updated invoice. never seemed to be something they accepted as if they had an option.
If they sell to you, with the X Plan (or A/Z plan pin), they must sell to you at the X plan price. They reserve the right to not sell to you, however.

Several dealers told me they weren't accepting Z plan on the Super Duties, and since it was about a +$16K difference for me from what they wanted (MSRP+$10K), I walked. I stopped talking to them until their online prices came off of the +$10K ADM. Waste of time.

Back