Light knocking transmission 7.3 Tremor

TremStar

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 Lariat Tremor 7.3 Gas
Well Ive adjusted to the 10 speed whine after discovering it with just 15 miles on the truck and driving it for about another 3500 miles but now I hear a light knocking coming from what seems to be the transmission as well. Ive heard of others with this and some said it just magically goes away and Ive heard of others having a transmission replacement at a certain point. Anyone have any experience with this? Build date is 08/20. Ill be consulting the Ford dealer tomorrow.

Well Ive adjusted to the 10 speed whine after discovering it with just 15 miles on the truck and driving it for about another 3500 miles but now I hear a light knocking coming from what seems to be the transmission as well. Ive heard of others with this and some said it just magically goes away and Ive heard of others having a transmission replacement at a certain point. Anyone have any experience with this? Build date is 08/20. Ill be consulting the Ford dealer tomorrow.
You’re able to video 12 seconds from a phone and post it. Post many but show the videos with the sounds my suggestion. Good luck. I’d like to hear it. ???????

You’re able to video 12 seconds from a phone and post it. Post many but show the videos with the sounds my suggestion. Good luck. I’d like to hear it. ???????
Yea Ill try to get a video up. Hopefully the phone can capture the sound. Thanks

Here is what it sounds like. Its pretty quiet but non the less there. Seems like it needs to warm up first and doesnt necessarily do it all the time.

Nevermind lol. Cant get the video to load. Says not a video as expected. Have no idea what that means

My 7.3L 10spd does the same thing. Random, yet consistent knocking noise at idle while in Park. I haven't really tried to stick my head out with it in gear to see if it still does it that way or not, though. I'm planning to bring it up to my dealership next time I have the truck over there and see what they think.

My 7.3L 10spd does the same thing. Random, yet consistent knocking noise at idle while in Park. I haven't really tried to stick my head out with it in gear to see if it still does it that way or not, though. I'm planning to bring it up to my dealership next time I have the truck over there and see what they think.
Ive only noticed it in park. Its real faint so its like you have to try to hear it but its definitely there. For all I know its been doing it and I never noticed.

I noticed it the day after I got the truck, with about 230 miles on it. Now just over 5000, with over 2500 towing miles, and it's about the same still. I don't like it, but I figure it's under warranty if it shits the bed. Just don't want it to happen on a long trip with the family and the 5th wheel RV in tow. It's actually pretty loud if you stick your head under the truck while it's idling.

I noticed it the day after I got the truck, with about 230 miles on it. Now just over 5000, with over 2500 towing miles, and it's about the same still. I don't like it, but I figure it's under warranty if it shits the bed. Just don't want it to happen on a long trip with the family and the 5th wheel RV in tow. It's actually pretty loud if you stick your head under the truck while it's idling.
I'm hopefully receiving mine in the next few weeks. I'm seeing a lot of posts about transmission noises, issues, and replacements that are making me quite nervous. I was really hoping they would have this all sorted out by now. How are you liking the truck overall? What has your few mileage roughly averaged out to, after 5,000 mi?

Is the noise only heard on the 7.3L engine? I have not heard it on my 6.7L, but the diesel engine is a little louder than a gasser.

My truck has 500 miles.

I'm hopefully receiving mine in the next few weeks. I'm seeing a lot of posts about transmission noises, issues, and replacements that are making me quite nervous. I was really hoping they would have this all sorted out by now. How are you liking the truck overall? What has your few mileage roughly averaged out to, after 5,000 mi?
I wouldn't worry about it too much, really. There have been a handful of failures, yes, but I think it will be fine. There's plenty of folks in the 40k+ mile range already on 2020 trucks without any problems. I absolutely love the truck and don't miss my 2012 6.7L F350 DRW that I sold, at all. And when towing my 11k lb 5th wheel RV, towing at 72-74mph, I get around 7mpg. If I slow down to 68, I can get around 8mpg. Empty, 100% interstate, I get just over 14mpg and have seen as high as 15.4mpg at one point with a tail wind. That's cruising around a typical average of 75 or so with a could short bursts to 80-90 to pass or something.

Reactions: ccw
Maybe yours is one of the "15 affected 6.7 vehicles" in the flex plate tempering TSB that was issued for the early 2020 10 speeds. I realize yours is a 7.3 but I find it had to believe only 15 trucks were affected by this issue. the machine that makes the flex plates probably spits hundreds of units out per hour. If there was an issue with them I'd bet more than 15 were bad. I've read several posts about converter and flex plate issues on the early 10 speeds. If it sounds bad enough I'd take it in to at least document the issue.

I'll try to find the post with TSB.

Here is a TSB that describes what you are maybe talking about. This is not the one that I was referring to above.

Attachments

• MC-10183422-0001.pdf
    220 KB · Views: 203
I wouldn't worry about it too much, really. There have been a handful of failures, yes, but I think it will be fine. There's plenty of folks in the 40k+ mile range already on 2020 trucks without any problems. I absolutely love the truck and don't miss my 2012 6.7L F350 DRW that I sold, at all. And when towing my 11k lb 5th wheel RV, towing at 72-74mph, I get around 7mpg. If I slow down to 68, I can get around 8mpg. Empty, 100% interstate, I get just over 14mpg and have seen as high as 15.4mpg at one point with a tail wind. That's cruising around a typical average of 75 or so with a could short bursts to 80-90 to pass or something.
Thanks for the info, RickyCRX!

Link below if you would like to here this knocking sound on my truck:

I noticed my truck making the same noise this weekend. The knock seems intermittent and only makes the noise while in park and idling after being fully warmed up. Noise seems to be coming from the back of the transmission. Does anybody have any new updates this issue?

I noticed my truck making the same noise this weekend. The knock seems intermittent and only makes the noise while in park and idling after being fully warmed up. Noise seems to be coming from the back of the transmission. Does anybody have any new updates this issue?

Mine has done that light knocking/rattling noise in park since new, I've actually had a replacement trans and both have done it. If you listen closely it follows the idle stumble that most of these 7.3s have. I dont like the noise but I assume its just gear backlash under no load or something and harmless. Time will tell as it seems pretty common.

Any new info? I just noticed my 2022 doing it!

Any new info? I just noticed my 2022 doing it!
No, but I have seen many people comment about it and even a Ford tech I know says most of them do it and it's normal.

Just heard this on my 22 this morning while it was idling in park.

Latest Discussions

Back